Bad: New Company Policy - Page 2

Bad: New Company Policy

This is a discussion on Bad: New Company Policy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like a pretty tough position to be in. I would be looking for somewhere not so obvious in my car that I could hide ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad: New Company Policy

Sounds like a pretty tough position to be in. I would be looking for somewhere not so obvious in my car that I could hide a pistol.
    Or you can just get an empty tampon box, put the gun in it, and toss it in the back. No guy from the office will ever look in there.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

My company's policy is almost the same, I got a smart carry and choose to not abide by the policy (it is not illegal here in Oregon unless I am asked to leave). What they don't know wont hurt them, and if they choose to search my car, they wont find anything. I plan to refuse if they request to search my person.

If possible park on a public street. My guess is it's not possible. If it is, get a lockable gun safe for the car.

Workplace violence is percieved (by many HR depts) to be increasing... this is one reason many corp's are doing this (restricting/banning guns on site).

Good luck. Of course, your boss knows you like guns, if it's his job or yours, he'll search your car and you'll be unemployed (with reason, meaning the possibility of no unemployment)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    Welcome to my world...I work for a company supporting DoD...in a huge federal facility...

I can't have a weapon...can't keep one in the car...so I drive to and from work without...
    Yeppers. I'm AD USAF and it kinda sux that we can't at least lock it in the car. I have an almost 30 mile drive, one way, from home to work. Most of it is on highways, but that doesn't mean I might not have to make the occasional stop or emergency detour. I'm hoping - yeah, a pipe dream - that perhaps DoD will change this policy for at least AD personnel and DoD Civilians.

In the meantime, I've been drafting up a letter to my Congressman and Senator letting them know my thoughts on these issues.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    If possible park on a public street. My guess is it's not possible. If it is, get a lockable gun safe for the car.

Workplace violence is percieved (by many HR depts) to be increasing... this is one reason many corp's are doing this (restricting/banning guns on site).

Good luck. Of course, your boss knows you like guns, if it's his job or yours, he'll search your car and you'll be unemployed (with reason, meaning the possibility of no unemployment)
    You are correct about HRs perceptions...but let me take it a step further...

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I work for a company that supports DoD on a huge federal installation...so federal law prevents me from carrying even in my car in the parking lot...

But my company site manager just returned from some management training with this gem...

Under new company HR guidance, even discussing weapons...or talking about going to the shooting range...can be considered "creating a hostile work environment"...

Lucky for me my site manager is retired military like myself, and owns several weapons including a sweet 1911...so he won't turn me in...and the military folks I work with are very much into weapons and firing ranges...so no issues there...

But between fear of workplace violence...and just pure Political Correctness...it's getting pretty hard for a honest citizen to keep a good paying job without looking over your shoulder and watching what you say...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

But my company site manager just returned from some management training with this gem...

Under new company HR guidance, even discussing weapons...or talking about going to the shooting range...can be considered "creating a hostile work environment"...
    Well if that ain't over the top... I guess I can see the point... but I gotta really be looking hard...

Did a class project profiling workplace violence and proposing the argument that concealed permit holders be allowed to carry. I used the Valiant, Oklahoma weyerhauser case as one of my examples. Personally, I park on the street when I attend school as to not violate the no firearms on campus laws in NC. I rather do that then take my chances of going unarmed when I leave and am en route to home or going somewhere else. And at work I just leave it in my truck, what they don't know won't hurt them. Only time I go completely unarmed is when I'm on my motorcycle, and thats because it is a sportbike with no legitimate storage space. At school at least. At work...concealed is concealed. Its private property so the worst they can do is fire me. I can find another part time job if it comes down to it. You probably don't have that same option I'm guessing. School...ehh yea thats grounds for criminal charges.

You can always move to Oklahoma, our law actually says employers cannot keep you keeping your weapon in your locked car in an area used for parking.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Another disturbing policy on social media. If you engage in social media networks on your own personal computer on your own time in the privacy of your own home and post things contrary to the company image (which their recent policies make me believe they don't care for guns) then you can be fired. This is another disturbing issue to me. If they are able to identify my membership and posts here on my own time (this site is blocked on company computers) and they don't like guns, then they can fire me. Of course, at-will state, they can fire me for no reason anyway. Go figure. Our rights are being whittled away at an alarming rate, if not by government by our employers.
    So, they're trying to tell you how to live and how to think?

Outrageous.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    You can always move to Oklahoma, our law actually says employers cannot keep you keeping your weapon in your locked car in an area used for parking.
    Except on a federal facility...like I work at...

Then, you best not have a weapon...period!
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

As a public school administrator in NYS I cannot have my gun on me or on school property. I have concealed it in the car when I am going to the range from the office but on those days I park across the street. It's not worth losing my license or retirement benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

Isn't it ironic the perception and response by HR departments only makes the likely hood and extent of that workplace violence more probable and extreme. But then I've quit debating with

Welcome to my world...I work for a company supporting DoD...in a huge federal facility...

I can't have a weapon...can't keep one in the car...so I drive to and from work without...
    I work in a FL school, so it's the same for me...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Similar policy at my workplace, including banning weapons in vehicles. However we share the parking lot with the building next to us, so I just park closer to 'their side' to avoid this issue. EDC stays locked in the vehicle during the work day.

As far as discussing firearms or shooting in the workplace, there are only a couple of people I talk about such things with at work. I can easily imagine HR getting in the middle of a discussion if I were to mention guns to the wrong person here. Did I mention I work close to Boulder? You do the math.
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    With some exceptions, here in FL employers cannot prohibit employees from leaving guns locked in cars on company property. The exceptions are companies performing high security gov't contracts and such.

Unfortunately, in these economic times, companies know they have us by the short hairs, as to the job market.

I work at one of these exception places, but my employer provides a spot to secure our weapons in the guard building. While not perfect it does allow you to bring you weapon to and from work. I have been dropping my gun off everyday for over 20yrs, with never a problem.

A lot of guys at my work are shooters, including most of the guards and they are good people, we shoot with each other often.
    02PSD4ME

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links