A question about Michigan

This is a discussion on A question about Michigan within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many years ago I lived in Mi. At that time permits were issued on a may issue basis. I remember everyone had to go before ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about Michigan

Many years ago I lived in Mi. At that time permits were issued on a may issue basis. I remember everyone had to go before a county gun board for a hearing, and the board would decide whether to issue or not.
    Now that Mi. is supposed to be a shall issue state, why do applicants still have to go before a board? I'm glad it's not that way in Florida. I'm never going to apply in Mi. but I am curious.

I didn't have to go before the board ... Some counties do since there so small they will issue permit at the board meeting

I had to go before the board when I received my permit about 2 years ago, seemed like just a formality as they only had me go before them so they could say I was approved by the state.
    Nick.

Its a County Thing

Some counties (mostly smaller ones) require everyone to apear before the board, others do not. I live in Genesee County and did not have to apear, They sent me a form letter wthen my permit was approved. My dad lives in Gratiot County and had to apear before the board for his permit.

? answered

When I lived there (Oakland Co.), I never applied but had friends that did. They always needed a reason for wanting one. I was living here in Fl. when I applied for mine. Really simple. Take the class, send the form and money, recieve the permit. At that time it was still less than 90 days. My last renewal was about 2 weeks mail box to mail box.

Lead Moderator
    Way up north here we have to appear before the board. the renewal was way easier. 15 minutes , a group discussion and we were done.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

MI is shall issue. The only reason the county gun boards call you to the meetings is to eyeball who gets one. If you qualify they can't do anything, they must issue you a permit.

The county gun board thing was added to the bill that also required a permit to purchase, established the county gun board, required a permit to conceal a pistol, etc. It also added the "safety inspection". This was brought on by the KKK in 1925. So this crap isn't new. What is new is shall issue status effective July 2001 I believe. MI never totally banned CCW, just required a permit to do so at the mercy of the county gun board. Back then, only whites got permits and minorities didn't.

Now, like many have said, it is a county by county basis. I am in Keweenaw County and my sheriff could care less who gets a permit. He doesn't think we need permits, but that is another topic. My brother in law lives in Houghton County and he had to go in front of the county gun board. The sheriff (McClean) wants to eyeball everyone who gets a permit. The whole process of getting harassed by the CGB is 10-15 minutes from what I have heard.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I live in Ingham county (Lansing, the state capitol to be exact) and I've never gone before the gun board either, even though both the county sheriff and prosecutor are known to be anti-CPL. I understand the county PA has dropped himself from the gun board.

First time I applied ( little over 3 years ago) it took 103 days from the time I applied until I got the notice in the mail to pick up my permit at the county clerk's office.

When I renewed this year, it took 45 days. Things are starting to get better.

I hope things are getting better n wayne county i got to renew in 2009 when i applied they told me 9 months took 1 month 14 days .. but i know other's it did take 9 month's

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I hope things are getting better n wayne county i got to renew in 2009 when i applied they told me 9 months took 1 month 14 days .. but i know other's it did take 9 month's
    Yup, you definitely sound like one of the lucky ones. I've heard that 6-7 months is the average for Wayne county.

I believe there's a law coming into effect soon, if it hasn't already that says they have to issue your permit within a certain time limit, or else you get a temp license, good for 6 months, or until your permit is issued, whichever comes first.

Monroe Co. took the class ,filled out my paperwork, got fingerprinted 45 days later they said come pick up your permit.

Says that right in the permit when i applied if you don't have it in 90 days you can force them to issue a temp permit

Went before the gun board the first time, renewall is just shipped to you, went very smooth, now if we can just get our open carry like AZ.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Says that right in the permit when i applied if you don't have it in 90 days you can force them to issue a temp permit
    I remember what the change was now. If you apply before your current permit runs out, but your new permit isn't issued before your current one expires, all you have to do is keep your receipt from the county clerks office, and that will extend your current permit until the new one is issued or denied.

I may be wrong, but I think if you appeal a denial, your current one will continue as long as you have your receipt.

But I know I'm correct on the first part.

Good info lucky im good till 2009 i hope to be out of wayne county by then but who knows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links