LEO encounter/motor accident

This is a discussion on LEO encounter/motor accident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just to clarify for Sixto, I filed an unformal complaint that Metro takes as more of a suggestion board. A formal complaint was not warrented ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: LEO encounter/motor accident

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    just to clarify for Sixto, I filed an unformal complaint that Metro takes as more of a suggestion board. A formal complaint was not warrented because the officer did not violate department procedure and i do not feel he did it to be a jerk. I just filed a complaint so maybe the department will take more of a stance on putting down on paper exactly how far their officers are allowed to go with a firearm when temporarily holding it for a LTCH holder
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Now you see why I carry a Kimber. Officer Fife would have had to search for that little take-down thingy, and spend ten minutes fumbing to get the little paper clip in the tiny hole. Then he would have had another fifteen minutes trying to get the dang thing to line back up to reassemble.

That'll teach 'em.
    Last edited by MadMac; June 10th, 2010 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The purpose of a forum is discussion. Keep an open mind in that direction. Those who choose to inform, whether required or not, will. Those who choose not to, won't.

I posted this on THR a while ago and I think it's still very true.

All these “Generic Bad experience W/ A Cop” threads would come to a screeching halt is we just followed some simple rules
    1. If you are pulled over by a cop, unless you are legally required to do so or you know (I.E. you are about to get patted down he's going to find your weapon do not inform the cop that you are armed (this assumes you are, of course, legally armed)
    2. Make the cop tell you why he pulled you over (I.E. Do you know why I pulled you over tonight Mr. Potential detainee? “No Officer I haven’t a clue please tell me.
    3. When he tells you why he pulled you over do not argue (I.E. Ok officer I’ll take my ticket now”) You can fight it in court later.
    4. Never ever, ever, ever consent to a search ever. If they tell you they’ll get a warrant tell them to go for it.
    5. Under no circumstances answer questions or make a statement of any kind with out your lawyer present.
    6. A traffic stop’s a given, they pull you over your not free to go, other than that as soon as they contact you ask. If they say you are free to go, go. If they say you’re not ask for your lawyer and shut up.
    7. Never make small talk with a cop (I.E. ‘where are you coming from tonite Mr. Potential detainee?’ “ From conducting my lawful private business officer, am I free to go?”). Cops don’t make small talk.

Follow these simple rules every time you interact with a cop and we won’t have anymore of these threads I promise

That's what I meant and I think it's interesting that here there are 2 or 3 of these " I got pulled over and only got my rights a little violated" threads a week and on THR.us they almost never happen

All these bad experience with a cop threads would come to a screaching halt if folks didn't do stuff that caused them to come into contact with an officer in any official capacity.

I like my contacts with officers just fine. When they come by my office. When they stop by my house when on patrol and I happen to be outside in the driveway or similar, and they want to stretch their legs. At a local restaurant when they or I walk in and say hello. That has been about the limits of my contact with LEO's since I stopped speeding, started paying attention to my driving habits, and quit getting tickets for stupid stuff. That was about 20 years ago.

The small talk is great.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I went over to How to Flex Your Rights During Police Encounters to look at a few key details about this encounter.

The bottom line is there are some things that both parties could have done better.

The LEO would never have field stripped the firearm if the citizen had not volunteered his information to him.

Since he did, if he suspected that his firearm was damaged in any way then his best course of action would be to take down information like the officers name, the date and location and seek legal advise from a lawyer as soon as he could about the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Now you see why I carry a Kimber. Officer Fife would have had to search for that little take-down thingy, and spend ten minutes fumbing to get the little paper clip in the tiny hole. Then he would have had another fifteen minutes trying to get the dang thing to line back up to reassemble.

That'll teach 'em.

Do you really someone who doesn't know how messing W/ your (presumably) nice Kimber ?

It sounds like alot of BS! Is the officers supervisor willing to take responsibility for damaged weapons that he field strips? I can sorta understand the officer taking control of the weapon during the stop/investigation/paperwork for officer safety...BUT...NOT disassembling them!!!!Being a LEO doesn't make him a gunsmith or an expert with all guns. I consider this overboard and negligent!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links