Texas CC law question....

This is a discussion on Texas CC law question.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the state of Texas, must you carry your CC permit on your person even if your not carrying a concealed weapon? Say at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas CC law question....

In the state of Texas, must you carry your CC permit on your person even if your not carrying a concealed weapon? Say at the time of a traffic stop? or when questioned by police?

And if the answer in yes, can you give me the actual law and section? word for word? or a source so as to read it for myself?

Regards, m

No. You must have it and your driver's license (or state issued ID card) with you only if you are carrying. You must present both the CHL and the other ID if you are carrying and are asked for ID by a LEO or magistrate.

^^^^What he said.^^^^ There is still some lingering confusion from pre-1997. From 1995 to '97, there was a requirement in the statute (or DPS regs, I forget which, but not both) to display one's CHL on a traffic stop, whether carrying or not. That was cleared up in '97.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    ^^^^What he said.^^^^ There is still some lingering confusion from pre-1997. From 1995 to '97, there was a requirement in the statute (or DPS regs, I forget which, but not both) to display one's CHL on a traffic stop, whether carrying or not. That was cleared up in '97.
    Interesting...I went through Texas CHL training in 2000, and we were told you MUST keep your CHL and license together at all times, and present both to a LEO if asked for your license...

Guess the word was slow getting out...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the replys.... I thought that was the case but had been told (by apparently a bad source) that it was required.

Now, on a different note: does anyone know of a source, by way of the NRA or otherwise, to insure one's self against wrongful death suits? I've heard that if a fatality occurs as a result of a CHL holder shooting someone, 50k isn't out of the ball park. I'm a high value retailer and want this in case I need it here at my store.

regards, m

VIP Member

Only if carrrying

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    Interesting...I went through Texas CHL training in 2000, and we were told you MUST keep your CHL and license together at all times, and present both to a LEO if asked for your license...

This is correct ONLY IF YOU ARE ARMED.

If you don't have a weapon with you then you don't need to present the CHL.

There has been confusion about this and I have heard, but don't know if it is true or legend, that there have been mistaken arrests made on this issue--when an officer thought you had to show even though you weren't armed.

Also, nowadays, since car carry has been made legal for non-license holders, and since they have no obligation to show the license for obvious reasons, the law has been modified and the penalty for not showing eliminated (I think). So you have a duty to show the license but no penalty.

Its goofy, makes no sense, but that's the way it is.

I do not show my CHL if I am not carrying because that just adds an issue to be dealt with by the LEO like the veracity of the claim. And it invites the question from the curious, "why aren't you carrying."

I was under the impression that you need not immediately display your CHL anymore if stopped say for a traffic infraction (while carying).

Of course I would regardless, while informing the officer where the weapon was located.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Here is the exact statute that relates to your question.

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 9.17(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

Amended by:

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1146, Sec. 12A.02, eff. September 1, 2009.
    The law clearly still reads that you must display the license. I think some may be confused by the fact the penalty for not displaying the license has changed. The requirement to display is still the law of the state, follow the law and everyone will be happy.

If you want to see the change you can follow this link and go to section GC 411.187 on page 16 and see what was struck out from the legislative changes in 2009.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...trPamphlet.pdf
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post

You wouldn't be the first, and won't be the last, to get bad info from a CHL Instructor. Hopyard and Farronwolf got it covered.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    You wouldn't be the first, and won't be the last, to get bad info from a CHL Instructor. Hopyard and Farronwolf got it covered.
    That's why I love this forum...you can get good info on a daily basis...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I wish they'd mark the driver's license/state ID with the CHL information. Fewer IDs to carry.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    I wish they'd mark the driver's license/state ID with the CHL information. Fewer IDs to carry.
    Even those states that flag the DL, still require you to carry and show the permit. The flag just alerts the LEO that you have one.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I meant some states issue a new driver's license with it marked, rather than require a second card.
    Knowing is half the battle.

While it isn't the law, my instructor recommended we show our CHL even if we're not carrying. His reasoning was that if you just give the LEO your license, when he runs your ID, it's going to show that you've got a CHL. He's going to have to come back to you and ask if you're armed. He might think you're trying to hide something. It will make for a better traffic stop if you give the LEO the CHL in the beginning.

Makes sense to me.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Exodus wrote: "...my instructor recommended we show our CHL even if we're not carrying."

My instructor (in Fort Worth) made the same recommendation and it definitely makes sense to me.
    USAF Retired
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links