I feel like a kid at Christmas

This is a discussion on I feel like a kid at Christmas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congrats. on your permit...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I feel like a kid at Christmas

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    Congrats. on your permit
    THE ONLY LOVE THAT MONEY CAN BUY IS A DOG

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Congrats. Whatcha carrying??

Congrats on your permit! I was excited when I got mine, even more excited when I got my EDC GLOCK 19, and real excited when I got my CBST and belt. The package was complete, wally walk was long completed.

May you always have it and never need it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I OC'd for the 8 weeks while I waited. It was a great experience to become comfortable with the hassles of carrying before I had the ability to load the same weapon and carry. However, carrying loaded still took a few days to get used to.

Gratz! It is an exciting thing, I'd say equally exciting to voting for the first time.
    XD-40sc w/Fed HST My father taught me to always use the right tool for the job.
    ---
    A Vespa motor scooter is a motor vehicle, but it's a poor excuse for a family car.
    A .22 or a .25 is a firearm, but it's a poor excuse for defense. -- Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Congrats. Whatcha carrying??
    Well, I have listed a Beretta 92fs and a springfield xd 40. I plan on carrying the 40 most of the time. The holster I ordered is for the 40. I have a ruger gp100 that I regret not qualifying with. However, when I can, I plan on going back and qualifying with it and having it added to my permit.

Quote Originally Posted by kootsoup View Post
    Hello, I live in Henderson as well and I was wondering where you took your CC class or if you have any recommendations.. Thanks
    I did a fair amount of research, in fact that is how I ended up on this website. I took it at American Shooters on Boulder highway, near Jokers Wild. I shoot there all the time. Most, if not all employees are ex military so they know guns. Pretty good class, it was $100, plus I paid another $50 for the Utah permit which has not arrived yet. I would recommend this class. It was laid back and the instructor seemed to be fairly knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortanis View Post
    I OC'd for the 8 weeks while I waited. It was a great experience to become comfortable with the hassles of carrying before I had the ability to load the same weapon and carry. However, carrying loaded still took a few days to get used to.

Gratz! It is an exciting thing, I'd say equally exciting to voting for the first time.
    Is it just me or is it absurd to open carry an unloaded gun? I realize that may be all a person can do in certain areas, and a pistol shaped club is better than nothing but it's like having a car with no wheels.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats and stay safe!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Hey, thanks alot I will check them out!

Congrats on the new permit!
    NV is now a bit safer...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Is it just me or is it absurd to open carry an unloaded gun? I realize that may be all a person can do in certain areas, and a pistol shaped club is better than nothing but it's like having a car with no wheels.

Aside from you bringing out one of the oldest and most absurd arguments in the book, I'm sure that there are those in certain states that are thrilled to be allowed to do just what you mock... At least I didn't have to also load a mag before racking. Some people forget that loaded carry, open or concealed, is not a condition that everyone gets to employ.

The tired argument that an unchambered handgun is akin to a club is folly. Being one slide rack away from a lethal defensive weapon is not the same as having no lethal defensive weapon at all. /sigh Some people...

Anyway, my disagreements with the aside, carrying open while waiting for my CFP was a great experience. It helped force me to understand the laws very well, to appreciate and pay attention to my environment, and to get used to the feel of the sidearm so I wasn't adjusting and fiddling with it once it was loaded and concealed.
    I also got a lot of support for doing so by local politicians and some citizens I encountered, as well as the support of those on a CC forum for my state (who actually understand what an unchambered pistol still is good for).
    ---
    A Vespa motor scooter is a motor vehicle, but it's a poor excuse for a family car.
    A .22 or a .25 is a firearm, but it's a poor excuse for defense. -- Massad Ayoob

Yeah! Good for you!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortanis View Post

Aside from you bringing out one of the oldest and most absurd arguments in the book, I'm sure that there are those in certain states that are thrilled to be allowed to do just what you mock... At least I didn't have to also load a mag before racking. Some people forget that loaded carry, open or concealed, is not a condition that everyone gets to employ.

The tired argument that an unchambered handgun is akin to a club is folly. Being one slide rack away from a lethal defensive weapon is not the same as having no lethal defensive weapon at all. /sigh Some people...

Anyway, my disagreements with the aside, carrying open while waiting for my CFP was a great experience. It helped force me to understand the laws very well, to appreciate and pay attention to my environment, and to get used to the feel of the sidearm so I wasn't adjusting and fiddling with it once it was loaded and concealed.
    I also got a lot of support for doing so by local politicians and some citizens I encountered, as well as the support of those on a CC forum for my state (who actually understand what an unchambered pistol still is good for).
    So...excuse the open carry noobness, you can legally open carry a semi-auto pistol with a loaded magazine inserted but no bullet in the chamber? And if a revolver, hammer at rest on an open chamber? If so that does make a big difference.

I'm not knocking open carry. I got my concealed carry permit before I ever had the nerve to reveal my gun ownership status and send out the call for all the sheep to call the police on me. My tin-foil hat is a little snug. I do see the value of it in the situation you describe and if it were all I could do to be able to carry a gun I would probably have done the same thing. Sounds like you have had a lot of positive encounters, did you have any negative encounters?
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    So...excuse the open carry noobness, you can legally open carry a semi-auto pistol with a loaded magazine inserted but no bullet in the chamber? And if a revolver, hammer at rest on an open chamber? If so that does make a big difference.

I'm not knocking open carry. I got my concealed carry permit before I ever had the nerve to reveal my gun ownership status and send out the call for all the sheep to call the police on me. My tin-foil hat is a little snug. I do see the value of it in the situation you describe and if it were all I could do to be able to carry a gun I would probably have done the same thing. Sounds like you have had a lot of positive encounters, did you have any negative encounters?
    You are correct. In Utah without a CFP that is the only legal carry option.

In eight weeks I had no negative encounters. I was carrying around my hometown, and then also in and near Salt Lake City a few times. In several Kmarts too, though I hear some people say I should have boycotted all of them even though they never asked me to leave. ;)
    ---

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links