Changes and Happenings Since Getting My Permit

This is a discussion on Changes and Happenings Since Getting My Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This new job that I have working 3:30-12 in a call center for the summer in conjunction with summer school has my sleep patterns all ...

Thread: Changes and Happenings Since Getting My Permit

Changes and Happenings Since Getting My Permit

This new job that I have working 3:30-12 in a call center for the summer in conjunction with summer school has my sleep patterns all off. So cruising the site as I usually do after getting home, I just am reflecting on some things that have happened and changes I have noticed in myself since I picked up my permit on April 28th.

-A coworker from last summer, who I sat next to and was a big help at work was murdered. 21 years old.
    -A guy a I threw parties with at nightclubs my freshman year was just killed outside his apartment also 21.
    -The boyfriend of a friend was killed and subsequently had to help her move out of the house she was staying in because she did not feel safe.
    -Another coworker was the victim of a home invasion, go figure his former drug dealing roommate was not home (smells fishy to me)
    -My school performed an active shooter exercise on June 7th with all the local emergency agencies
    -I find myself even more aware of my surroundings, although I was raised to always be observant by my father.
    -I absolutely refuse to sit with my back to the door. I was taught this at an early age by my father and sometimes I would relinquish that right if people I were eating with would not budge. Now I'm extremely adamant to the point I'll sit at another table if they won't move.
    -I find myself trying to spot other people who are carrying.
    -Anytime I'm in an unfamiliar place I try to locate multiple points of exits
    -I used to walk from my vehicle that I park on the street to class with my headphones in. I refuse to do that anymore.
    -I started a new job. One of the first things I noticed was an armed off duty police officer walking the premises, apparently there was a previous incident where a disgruntled employee came back onto the site after being fired. I did notice that they don't wear vests...
    -My other roommate received his permit, so all three of us are permit holders.
    -I discovered the couple downstairs are both permit holders and frequent shooters, a range day is in order.
    -A shooting incident at target spurred a very anti gun friend to say, "I hate to say it but you were right." And now she wants me to take her to the range and assist her in choosing a gun.

Just some things that have happened or I've noticed. Late night ramblings.

2. Remove Ads

The fact that friends of yours or people related to them were killed is sad, my condolences to you and their families for the loss (es). Its great that you notice things that you otherwise never did. Great that you have neighbors who shoot and permit/license holders as well. GLAD that you managed to get an ANTI friend over to our side (even though the shooting incident sparked it you put the idea in her head) . Congratulations on becoming more aware of your surroundings and the way you sit when you go out (I do the same thing and so do a lot of us). late night ramblings are usually the best, because you say everything without over-thinking it!
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I find it interesting that so many here use their gun/carrying as a lense thru which to view all their life and society. That they view life with a perspective centered around their guns or carrying.

Just interesting to me.

And I'm sorry for your losses dhuggin1.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I find it interesting that so many here use their gun/carrying as a lense thru which to view all their life and society. That they view life with a perspective centered around their guns or carrying.

Just interesting to me.

It's more of a lens of awareness and the natural human element of "fight or flight," guns are just a means of heightening awareness and empowering the fight or flight response.

Sorry for your friends' losses dhuggin, it is a sad state that many people must be forced into action by such cruel circumstances.

Things that you have noticied, are not exactly 'uncommon' to the rest of us.
    Unliked by many of those 'in charge'...I'll cling to my God and my guns, thank you...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just interesting to me.

That's a good observation. I work hard to strike a balance between extreme SA and being relaxed around my family and friends.

Being "on" all the time can be mentally draining to me.

I've had lots of practice at SA growing up in the south Bronx. It was part of life there. I learned to go with the flow and react to my surroundings (mostly recognizing then running from danger) at a very young age.

dhuggin1 sorry about your friends. Stay aware but, live your life to the fullest. Don't let the scum of the earth take that away from you.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

It comes with the responsibility. Sorry for your friends losses.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

d, although most life experiences are not necessarily related, sometimes we take a few steps back and take stock of them collectively and it can be overwhelming. The harsh realities of the lows our society have sunk to are disturbing to say the least. The best we can do is try to maintain a positive outlook while being aware and prepared for all of the possibilities. For me, guns are actually a very small part of who I am...but a part that I'm not about to let slide either. Stay safe, stay aware, but don't forget to enjoy life and have fun with your friends at the same time.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Dhuggin, very good post.

You have just served up a good dose of reality. Never mind those who believe or observe that we look at life down the barrel of a pistol. Long before any of us began to obtain permits and carry, there have always been the one's whose awareness of their surroundings was in high gear.

As it has been said many times before and probably not enough, it can happen anywhere at anytime and to anyone. Nobody or neighborhood is immune to crime and that is what gets preached here time and time again.

Last but not least, it usually takes a violent crime happening to someone or a person who is very close before the ones with the sheep mentality finally come around and walk in reality.
    Last edited by JoJoGunn; June 10th, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Great post to the OP. My condolences on the loss of your friends.

While some might be wary of being "on" all the time, SA is not mentally draining if done correctly. In fact, you're simply training yourself to be aware of your surroundings so that you are not caught unawares. That's not hyper-vigilance, it's an understanding that evil exists and it can happen to you.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Just interesting to me.

I would say it is more of a facet to there Life than a whole Lense. Sometimes people dealing with things may focus more on 1 than the other, but that is very natural.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Awareness is something we get an innoculation of when CC becomes a part of our lives.
    It's too bad others don't get that same shot until someone gets robbed or killed. Too many people go thru their lives with their head down not seeing what is going on around them and telling themselves they are safe and the police will protect them.
    I firmly believe the crime rate would drop drasticly if everyone became more responsible for thier awarness levels. These days, people will walk right by a crime in action in self denial telling themselves all is OK as they are not involved. We can probably thank our leagle system for this as getting involved can be a very costly.
    Good for you for raising your level of awareness. It will go down as you get used to it. Let me encourage you to perodically get back into the awareness of awareness issues for self training.
    Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Great post to the OP. My condolences on the loss of your friends.

While some might be wary of being "on" all the time, SA is not mentally draining if done correctly. In fact, you're simply training yourself to be aware of your surroundings so that you are not caught unawares. That's not hyper-vigilance, it's an understanding that evil exists and it can happen to you.
    Maybe I should explain what being "on all the time" means to me. Growing up where I did, violence was part of my daily life. Before I was ten years old, I ran and hid from gunfire inside of a family member's apartment...while in another room, I heard the shot and my uncle yell in pain as he crashed through a forth story window as he tryed to get away.

Stabbings, break-ins and murder was just outside our apartment door with about four locks on it.

A random bullet went through our living room window one night as we were watching tv. Called the cops but as usual, they never showed up.

Us kids measured our block's toughness by the number of crosses painted on the street where someone died. We dogded drunks and heroin addicts hanging around the hallways in our bulidings.

Knowing that this is what I had to deal with everyday or when I go back to visit, makes for an extreme sense of SA that can be mentally taxing.

Daily SA for me today, as an adult, is no sweat. It's just a notch lower than what i'm used to which, as I hope I illustrated, is pretty high.

There's a reason the police and military that are on patrol, go in shifts. No one can stay at those levels all the time.

I hope I clarified what "being on" means to me.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Just interesting to me.

I appreciate all the condolensces. I wouldn't say I view life through my front and rear sight so to speak, I just think my level of awareness has become heightened slightly. I consider myself a very enjoyable person to be round and not in a state of paranoia. I just notice things that most of my friends wouldn't. Then again I feel like I may have always been that way do to my upbringing, as many people on this site possibly may have been as well. I remember one of my many debates/conversations with the anti-gun friend who has started to change her mindset on guns and carry. The turning point for her really started when the couple was shot and killed in the carjacking that happened a few months ago. She stated, "I just can't believe anybody would do such a thing. That could've been me and my friends. Its just hard to believe people can be that evil." One night I was leaving my complex and she is walking her dog alone a good little ways from her building and I ask her don't you think about your safety? You're out here in the dark with nothing but your keys, you don't even have your phone. Its just a different mindset and upbringing. Growing up my father would always preface instructions that he gave me with pay attention to what you're doing. Whether, it was tightening or loosening a bolt to be careful that you don't strip it or walking at night to your car. Always pay attention to what you're doing. It just seems like some people received the short end of the stick on that lesson.

Links