Threatening dogs - Page 2

Threatening dogs

This is a discussion on Threatening dogs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sig35seven ... I am also on blood thinners so I am what you would call a 'bleeder'. ...My plan is as follows...I ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Threatening dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    ... I am also on blood thinners so I am what you would call a 'bleeder'.

...My plan is as follows...I will use pepper spray first. If a second attack is coming I will shoot to kill.
    I've seen what happens when somebody on blood thinners gets a minor head wound. You need to protect yourself, and I think you have the sequence figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    i'd think you'd exaust every non lethal option first before shooting a dog..that should be the absolute last resort in my opnion..
    If you do that, and the dog is in fact intent on biting you, you may be maimed or even killed.

My preferred technique for dogs will leave me scarred, and I accept that. I will give the dog my support arm and proceed to gut it.

Biker

It is very simple. If attacked, kneel or squat, extend hand with pistol in it.
    Dog will bite the nearest object(pistol), fire the pistol and no court would convict you or award a suit against you.

If dog stops, you don't fire.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If you do that, and the dog is in fact intent on biting you, you may be maimed or even killed.

My preferred technique for dogs will leave me scarred, and I accept that. I will give the dog my support arm and proceed to gut it.

Biker
    My thoughts as well. And no errant rounds possibly flying around.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    i'd think you'd exaust every non lethal option first before shooting a dog..that should be the absolute last resort in my opnion..
    Spoken by someone who has never been attacked, I presume.

There isn't TIME to exhaust every non-lethal option when a dog is about to lock its jaws around someone's arm, leg or other body part. At most, there's time to spray the dog and then you are down to deadly force.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

If a dog was headed for me or my family then it would get the OC spray. I love animals, but I have no desire to have one take a chunk out of me. If the animal doesn't back off after getting peppered (and/or the owner doesn't heel them), I would consider whatever it took to get the thing off me.

Obviously I'd have to consider the animal... a chihuahua isn't much of a threat while a "assault weapon" like a German shepherd, Rotweiler, etc might qualify. I owned a German shepherd that was a real sweet guy and loved to romp and play and lick, but the fact is, as an outsider, I wouldn't know this. As the big, barreling patch of white fur was charging at me I would understandably think, "Oh, crap!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I take it as a personal assault and I believe every dog should be leased. A law that is rarely enforced.
    I took my dog back to the pet store when his lease ran out, but they turned me away. (sorry, couldn't pass on that typo!)

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    If a dog is running at one of my children (or me or my wife) and-

A) it is too big for me to punt it 10 yards

and

B) I think it will attack them, then I am shooting the dog or otherwise attacking the dog

and I will try to do it before that dog can get on my child
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by novasig226r View Post
    Obviously I'd have to consider the animal... a chihuahua isn't much of a threat while a "assault weapon" like a German shepherd, Rotweiler, etc might qualify. I owned a German shepherd that was a real sweet guy and loved to romp and play and lick, but the fact is, as an outsider, I wouldn't know this. As the big, barreling patch of white fur was charging at me I would understandably think, "Oh, crap!"
    That's a dangerous assumption to make, especially if it's attacking a child.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I too would exhaust every option before shooting the dog (not that there would be that many, I realize). If you truly don't know if a man who kicks in your house door at 3am with a shotgun means to hurt you...seriously?
    Human attacker analogies have no meaning when comparing to a barking dog or one who you suspect might be dangerous. Each scenario is different with dogs. I can say this, you had better know your state laws before you shoot a dog.

One Bullet. One dead dog. One call to the popo. Period.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That's a dangerous assumption to make, especially if it's attacking a child.
    Generally speaking, yes, I'd agree. As I was speaking of myself and what I would do, I don't have any kids yet, so I don't find a chihuahua to be a threat to my family. I'm not going to shoot the Taco Bell dog if it "charged" me and began nibbling. Cujo on the other hand...

Certainly any parent would protect their child.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Spoken by someone who has never been attacked, I presume.

There isn't TIME to exhaust every non-lethal option when a dog is about to lock its jaws around someone's arm, leg or other body part. At most, there's time to spray the dog and then you are down to deadly force.
    My highest priority is not to avoid shooting the dog. It's to avoid getting bitten.

Like you, I'm not doing anything to avoid shooting the dog that increases my chances of getting bitten. I don't have the slightest interest in the owner's opinion of that.

If I do get bitten, by the time we get done in civil court, the dog's owner is going to wish his own dog had killed him.

Another scenario that I have seen while walking on streets is dogs in their yards with invisible fences. So I have seen a dog charge towards the street but stop while still on their owners property. This happens anytime we walk or ride bikes in our neighbor hood. Not sure how justified anyone would be in shooting or doing anything to a dog that is on their property leashed or not with invisible fence involved.

I for one will not just assume a dog is going to bite me just because it is coming towards me & never have to this date. Last time I was actually bitten was when I was too young to remember & yes I do carry a scar on my arm from it but I don't fear dogs because of it although I do respect them.

Quote Originally Posted by rightdog View Post
    I too would exhaust every option before shooting the dog (not that there would be that many, I realize). If you truly don't know if a man who kicks in your house door at 3am with a shotgun means to hurt you...seriously?
    Human attacker analogies have no meaning when comparing to a barking dog or one who you suspect might be dangerous. Each scenario is different with dogs. I can say this, you had better know your state laws before you shoot a dog.
    I can't KNOW what a human capable of speech means to do. I can only reasonably infer his intentions from his actions. The law requires nothing more.

We're not talking about "barking" dogs. We're talking about dogs that are charging people on public property or the victim's property. Bark, growl, sing "Don Giovanni", it makes no difference. When that dog comes off of the owner's property to attack an innocent third party, it's living on borrowed time.

I can't read human minds. I sure can't read animal minds. And I don't need to try. I'm not in the habit of entering other people's property and attacking their dogs. That means that if I'm confronted by your dog, it's on public property or my own, either because you've allowed it to roam free or you're not able to control it on the street. Either way's not going to end well for your dog. It's not going to end well for you in civil court either.

And I know Ohio state law regarding defending myself from vicious dogs. It's a popular topic on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry forums. The courts in Ohio have no sympathy for dogs which attack innocent people, nor for their owners.

I dont know about you but I woudnt assume a dog will respond to pepper spray. whos to say you will ever fully recover from this? YouTube - Pitbull Attacks Female Animal Control Officer

The weight of the dog alone can cause major injuries in a bite. watch them pull a bumper off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1xnd...eature=related

I was the guy who shot at the dog the other day

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links