Threatening dogs - Page 3

Threatening dogs

This is a discussion on Threatening dogs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Majorlk That's a dangerous assumption to make, especially if it's attacking a child. Originally Posted by 1899 I dont know about you ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Threatening dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    That's a dangerous assumption to make, especially if it's attacking a child.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    I dont know about you but I woudnt assume a dog will respond to pepper spray. whos to say you will ever fully recover from this? YouTube - Pitbull Attacks Female Animal Control Officer

The weight of the dog alone can cause major injuries in a bite.
    Wow. It even took a blow to the head from a bat/pipe/pvc thingy and still came back on the attack.

Anyone know if a blow to the nose does anything?

You can always get one of those new high pitched alarms they advertise on tv. It worked for the lady pushing the stroller against the rot. lol BS i would never take that chance.

quick story- My father, a 50 year martial artist and ex spec ops soldier with jungle time was on a base in Okinawa. He was cleared to enter and asked where the guard and dog that were roving were. He was told that it was on the other end of the compound. As he rounded a corner, there they were, the guard let the dog go and as it jumped at dad he shoved it away. The second time it jumped it pushed him into the fence, one arm under the chin and one behind the skull and broke the dog's neck, he damn near got court marshalled but he is alive. Just goes to show how little time there is in that situation.

Personally, I'm killin the dog that is trying to attack me, my family, my killer weiner dogs, etc. If I am out serving a warrant, I don't go to the back of the house with out my pepper spray in hand.

ps - even little dogs will bite, my partner got his boot bit by a poodle one day.

Jason

I think the magazine was tactical knives or knives or something , there was an article about a man taking out an attacking pit with his recon 1. I'll look for it.

(I love dogs, I respect them and realize their ability)

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I can't KNOW what a human capable of speech means to do. I can only reasonably infer his intentions from his actions. The law requires nothing more.

We're not talking about "barking" dogs. We're talking about dogs that are charging people on public property or the victim's property. Bark, growl, sing "Don Giovanni", it makes no difference. When that dog comes off of the owner's property to attack an innocent third party, it's living on borrowed time.

I can't read human minds. I sure can't read animal minds. And I don't need to try. I'm not in the habit of entering other people's property and attacking their dogs. That means that if I'm confronted by your dog, it's on public property or my own, either because you've allowed it to roam free or you're not able to control it on the street. Either way's not going to end well for your dog. It's not going to end well for you in civil court either.

And I know Ohio state law regarding defending myself from vicious dogs. It's a popular topic on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry forums. The courts in Ohio have no sympathy for dogs which attack innocent people, nor for their owners.
    While I don't agree with your first statement (I do know, although whether or not I can legally prove it may be disputed, I still know. You do too), I do agree if a dog is going to attack, self defense is justified. The issue is whether or not the dog was really going to attack. Too many people are too quick to draw because it is just a dog and they can. That is the whole issue. I would never draw my gun and shoot someone if I was losing a fight either. But some would. And it would end bad for all involved.

AllAbtSlfDef,

My son, also a martial artist, had a similar incident, but less lethal on the dog. He was making an early morning delivery when someone nearby was picking up a doberman "yard dog" at a nearby business. The dog went through the handlers legs and charged my son. About 8-10 feet away it leaped for his face/throat. Being a MA and having been raised with a doberman he stayed cool. He dropped, turned, grabbed the dog and slamed it on its back. The dog was dazed, eventually got up and ran back to the handler.

PM
    When fitness walking; I carry a cane. That cane will be used to beat the dog to death. I have had one time that a dog got close enough to have bitten me; I got lucky that my foot clipped the dog in the chest stopping its movement toward my calf. At this point I turned ready to hit the dog with the broom stick I was carrying. The owner yelled "Do not hit my dog! He does not bite!" I said "Then get your dog under control and by the way I kicked it while it was trying to bite me!" Well she kept up her upset tone and ranting. I reached in my pocket took out my cell phone and said I was willing to call the poilce but the first thing I was saying was her dog attacked me and leash law. She thought it better to take the dog and go home.

As for the "dog has never bite any one." statement. I now say "Funny, that was what the owner of the last dog who bite me said.

As for how do I know that I am in harms way? Dog with bared teeth; growling and running my direction is what the last dog looked like and is a sign of an aggressive dog. I also have the stand your gorund law and a law which says that anyone can kill an agressive dog. Gee I love kansas!

Someone asked if hitting the dog on the nose had any effect. Depends, what's the size of the dog and what caliber are you using?

I'm not taking a chance with a dog. Especially where I live. Here in the boonies, we have a feral dog problem, rabies is a real concern.

If a dog is coming after me or mine, no interviews about his motives...

He's gonna get his shots, in lead
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

We just had a similar incident in a suburb of Boise. An off duty sheriff's deputy was out for his nightly jog around the block. Two dogs exited the owners property and were aggressevely approaching the officer. The homeowner called out to the dogs and one turned around and retreated back to the owners property. The second one continued and was shot twice by the off duty officer. The injured dog retreated to the owners property and died. Boise is one of the most liberal area's of Idaho. Here are my thoughts; the officer surely knew what would be justified or not. He elected he was justified to fire his weapon in a residential area. The usual outcry from the dog owners and others was disgraceful. I assume the officer was of normal stature and healthy and still considered it a threat. The home owner claimed the dog was retreating when the officer shot. Outcome was the officer was justified. It seems pretty clear to me that in a public area dog owners need to control their dogs or not have them. I was working in the garage the other day a HUGE white dog came into my garage. His demanor was totally friendly but, as Boise has a strict leash law, he was obvioulsy loose from his owner. Had he made any agressive move towards me I would have killed him there on the spot. A medical condition I would think, would justify ANY level of defense required.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

I also live in Florida, and I had a problem with a neighborhood dog attacking my dog a while back. When I called to complain, I was told that I needed a bunch of information on the dog and the owners and that after three complaints, the county could take some action. I said that my dog wouldn't survive two more complaints and asked what I could legally do myself. I was put in touch with the "dog expert" from the sheriff's office. He gave me the rundown with dealing with dog vs. dog problems. He also said that if a human life was in danger, I could use any means necessary to stop the dog, including shooting it.

That discussion took place more than 10 years ago, and some of the specifics might be county ordinances rather than state law. I suggest you call your local police/sheriff and find out the most up-to-date information that applies to you and where you live. If it isn't too late, file a complaint against every dog you've had trouble with. Then if it does come down to shooting a dog later, your attorney will be able to say that you complained about the dog in the past and the county did nothing!

I also suggest that if you have to shoot a dog, you be the first to call 911.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

AzB
    I've dealt with a lot of dogs over the years. Generally, you can tell if they're just being protective or territorial. Full on attacks are still pretty rare.

In my experience, I would try yelling "NO" in a firm, loud voice while standing square to them. Do not panic, do not try to walk or run away. A walking stick is a great deterrent to a normal-thinking dog.

But for the OP and considering his personal issues, I would definitely be ready to shoot if the dog isn't backing down. No need to take chances.

So in order, this is what I would try: Firmly yelling no, threatening or even whacking with a cane or stick, and then if the dog is still coming, take a shot. You could possibly substitute pepper spray for the stick, but make sure you practice with it. It's pretty easy to miss the dog and get a snoot full yourself, and that would not be good.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Threatening dogs

To the OP: The problem I had with the scenario in the other thread was the fact his story was contradictory and in the scenario shot to scare the dog...which IMO, he used the wrong tool for the job...and proceeded to lie about it.

I have no problem shooting a dog I believed to be a threat to me...in a place I'm lawfully allowed to be and the owner is nowhere to be found.

If you are going to shoot...hit what you're aiming at.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by rightdog View Post
    I would never draw my gun and shoot someone if I was losing a fight either. But some would. And it would end bad for all involved.
    So, if you were walking to your car in the mall parking lot and a stranger physically attacked you and began gaining the upper hand, you wouldn't draw, and if necessary shoot? How about if during the course of the attack, he discovered you were armed and was trying to disarm you?

In Ohio, I'm allowed to use deadly force if I'm in immediate danger of life and limb, whether my assailant is armed or not. I'm not required to allow myself to be beaten to death or "merely" to be beaten until I'm crippled. I don't get into "fights". I don't associate with the people who engage in them. I don't go to the places where they have them. Outside of my home, I'm required to ATTEMPT to WITHDRAW, if I can do so IN PERFECT SAFETY. I'm not required to take a beating nor am I required to turn and run if to do so would in ANY WAY increase my risk. I was a lousy runner as a 21 year old Infantry second lieutenant. I'm not one bit faster at 52.

I don't get into "fights", with people OR dogs. If a person OR a dog launches an unprovoked attack on me, my ONLY concern is my personal safety and that of any loved ones or companions with me at the time. The Ohio Revised Code is very supportive of that goal.

I had a similar incident a few weeks ago my self.
    I (decided not to strap on the 1911 this time..) was riding my 6 year old and I were riding out bikes around the neighborhood. around. When we passed this particular house a 100+ pound pit bull (I am nit predjudice against pits, I have one myself) started barking and chasing us beyond the front of their house and down the street. My daughter began to freak out and I rode my bike between the dog and her and told her to keep riding, while yelling at the dog as well.

THe dog then bit my sneaker, and immediatly released it. We kepy riding back to my house and the dog followed, we were about a 1/3 mile away now. and the dog followed us within a couple hundred feet of mine. I called the old lady, to have her stand by the door with my AR and if the dogs came into the yard they wouldn't make it past the 1st couple blades of grass.

I called the cops and gave them the address. They can out an hour and a half later and the lady officer explained that the shoot roaming dogs that are threatening people, its not worth the risks of trying to catch or corrall it. She said if an unleashed dog comes at my or my family aggresively on a public street or my property. I have every right to defend myself and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    So, if you were walking to your car in the mall parking lot and a stranger physically attacked you and began gaining the upper hand, you wouldn't draw, and if necessary shoot? How about if during the course of the attack, he discovered you were armed and was trying to disarm you?

In Ohio, I'm allowed to use deadly force if I'm in immediate danger of life and limb, whether my assailant is armed or not. I'm not required to allow myself to be beaten to death or "merely" to be beaten until I'm crippled. I don't get into "fights". I don't associate with the people who engage in them. I don't go to the places where they have them. Outside of my home, I'm required to ATTEMPT to WITHDRAW, if I can do so IN PERFECT SAFETY. I'm not required to take a beating nor am I required to turn and run if to do so would in ANY WAY increase my risk. I was a lousy runner as a 21 year old Infantry second lieutenant. I'm not one bit faster at 52.

I don't get into "fights", with people OR dogs. If a person OR a dog launches an unprovoked attack on me, my ONLY concern is my personal safety and that of any loved ones or companions with me at the time. The Ohio Revised Code is very supportive of that goal.
    Nope. If I lost a fight I lose a fight. It's happened. And I never shot someone over it. Obviously you have never lost a fight. If you have, post the obit of the guy who was winning.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truegrit View Post
    I (decided not to strap on the 1911 this time..) was riding my 6 year old
    Ouch!!!
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links