Threatening dogs - Page 5

Threatening dogs

This is a discussion on Threatening dogs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brothers next door neighbor has a Pitbull its pretty massive they get the dog to latch onto a rope and hang it from a ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Threatening dogs

My brothers next door neighbor has a Pitbull its pretty massive they get the dog to latch onto a rope and hang it from a tree frequently...

I was with my brother and his daughter and she was seated behind me in a car seat in his pickup i removed her and set her on the ground. As soon as i did i heard a lound running and growling noise and i was like oh $@%! and snatched her up with my left hand(being left handed it was only instinct) and stood there screaming at the dog to stop my brother ran over and a neighbor from across the street and the dog finally backed off..it wanted her bad. After the situation i wish i had turned and put her on the hood of the truck and got my pistol out of the holster but couldnt because i was tied up holding her. i talked to the neighbors and told the police next time the dog got out it was a Perro Muerto....the neighbor didnt understand but her children did and they have been pretty good about keeping it on a leash but it will charge again and that will be the end of it...the attack was unacceptable and only because of my size i think it didnt try to get me after picking her up im 350lbs 6ft tall....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Years ago in Pittsburgh PA, I was going to college and prone to midnight walks around the city.

One night while returning back to my dorm from a nocturnal outing, a large german shepherd bolted out of its yard and charged at me.

I reacted as BIKER above stated. I killed it with a knife right then and there. It was over quite quickly, and being young, stupid, and scared for my legal life, I left the scene.

Regardless of the possibility of my having left the scene of a crime, I am still convinced of my actions concerning the animal and their righteousness. I would do the same again, and have eyed large dogs warily ever since.

I'm a disabled Vet, and I know that I can't do the whole prolonged incident thing with anyone or anything. I am left with no choice but to react quickly and decisively. I love animals very much, but I will (and have) kill one to protect myself, my family, or even my pets.

My neighbor has 4 pit-bulls who occasionally get out of his yard. They have already killed one of my mother-in-law's cats. Woe be unto the beast that sets foot onto my property, friendly neighbor or not...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    1. Dogs may run up to you, may even bark, but it doesn't mean they are on the attack. They may be running up to say hello... and that's it. Even a dog barking at you, doesn't mean it's going to attack.
    The bottom line is that if you keep your dog on your property, or properly leashed in public areas, I'm never going to have to try to figure out what you're dog is up to.

I don't have any duty to "know" dogs.
    I don't have any duty to "know" YOUR dog.

If you control your dogs, I'm not going to have any OPPORTUNITY to have a negative encounter with them.

Your right you have no duty to know dogs.

I like most dogs more then most people, so I would like not to shoot a dog if it can be avoided. I trust my knowledge of dogs to be able to judge what the dog's state of mind is. If you don't have the same knowledge then I say protect your self if threaten.

AzB
    Another option is to get a dog to walk with. Not only does it make the walk more fun, the dog will draw any dog attacks away from you, and most will die trying to defend you. And give you a lot more time to do something.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    When fitness walking; I carry a cane. That cane will be used to beat the dog to death. I have had one time that a dog got close enough to have bitten me; I got lucky that my foot clipped the dog in the chest stopping its movement toward my calf. At this point I turned ready to hit the dog with the broom stick I was carrying. The owner yelled "Do not hit my dog! He does not bite!" I said "Then get your dog under control and by the way I kicked it while it was trying to bite me!" Well she kept up her upset tone and ranting. I reached in my pocket took out my cell phone and said I was willing to call the poilce but the first thing I was saying was her dog attacked me and leash law. She thought it better to take the dog and go home.

As for the "dog has never bite any one." statement. I now say "Funny, that was what the owner of the last dog who bite me said.

As for how do I know that I am in harms way? Dog with bared teeth; growling and running my direction is what the last dog looked like and is a sign of an aggressive dog. I also have the stand your gorund law and a law which says that anyone can kill an agressive dog. Gee I love kansas!
    Too true! These dogs must be owned by the same mother whose son "Johnny" was a good boy and would never have robbed that liquor store.

I love dogs as much as the next person but I am willing and able to shoot any dog attacking me or mine. As for the mother that shot the dog once after it attacked her six yo daughter, I would have emptied my first magazine into said dog.

I can't believe the number of people that think a dog is more important than a person.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    First - All dogs will bite, that pure and simple. There is no such thing as "My dog would never bite" even my Golden Retriever will bite when he reaches the end of his patience.

2nd - Know the laws of your city/state on shooting a animal and you will know what precautions to take when walking if shooting a weapon will get you in hot water or not, other means might prove better.

3rd - Some dog experts like to say give up your weak arm to get the dog in close or whatever the reason, excuse me folks, giving up any arm is not an option if you use your brain, there is always a weapon around if it's just your belt or shoe or keys or a pen/pencil.

Given up an arm to a biting dog, if that dog hits one of those nerves in that arm just right and does the right damage which isn't that hard, that arm could be useless to you for the rest of your life, no thank you!
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    First - All dogs will bite, that pure and simple. There is no such thing as "My dog would never bite" even my Golden Retriever will bite when he reaches the end of his patience.

2nd - Know the laws of your city/state on shooting a animal and you will know what precautions to take when walking if shooting a weapon will get you in hot water or not, other means might prove better.

3rd - Some dog experts like to say give up your weak arm to get the dog in close or whatever the reason, excuse me folks, giving up any arm is not an option if you use your brain, there is always a weapon around if it's just your belt or shoe or keys or a pen/pencil.

Given up an arm to a biting dog, if that dog hits one of those nerves in that arm just right and does the right damage which isn't that hard, that arm could be useless to you for the rest of your life, no thank you!
    Good advice. Goldens and labs are some of the friendliest dogs, but if you look at bite statistics, they're on the top of the list. (Has a lot to do with sheer numbers, but the point is they still bite)

Giving up an arm is not an option for the op anyway. Any bite could be very disastrous for him. Bite/Fight avoidance should be top priority.

But if you know what you're doing, you can give up an arm safely, and effectively end the fight. See, dogs don't understand physics, but they do have a well honed instinct for fighting and killing. Giving up an arm keeps them away from your neck, which is a killing bite.

And you can take that arm, either fist first like a punch or sideways like a block, and ram it into their mouths as hard as possible. Then grab the back of their heads and pull them toward you. This will stop the attack. Because the jaw power is based on levers and hinges, and you've just jammed the hinge. There are no teeth at the very back of their jaw, and a lot less leverage as you get closer to the hinge. Right at the hinge, they will only be able to gum you with about 5% of the force of their jaw. This will end the biting.

I don't recommend you rely on this, especially if you've never trained for it, but it can save you from a lot of bite damage if you're attacked by a single dog. Again, not much use for the OP, as any bite may be pretty bad.

Multiple dogs are my biggest worry. They are difficult to defend against unless you have a weapon and some space. Luckily, this kind of attack is pretty rare.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post

Well said.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Someone asked if hitting the dog on the nose had any effect. Depends, what's the size of the dog and what caliber are you using?

Hahaha, not quite what I meant, but that would get points the dog schnoz being the the 10 ring.

I would 'defend' my dog... and truthfully ... if you are shooting or pulling your gun, I don't know if your actions are towards me or the dog..... and I'm not sure I would wait around to find out. If my dog ran up to you barking, it would be to get there as soon as possible to meet you and hope to get some attention or play.
    Nothing wrong with defending your dog, but if its not on a leash your going to find yourself in a lot of trouble with that attitude. Your dogs arent humans, if there is a leash law where you live, its there for a reason. Not complying with it and killing someone from defending themselves in public or off your property from YOUR dog is going to put you in a SOL situation, because your already breaking the law. but hey, thats what we have prisons for.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Too true! These dogs must be owned by the same mother whose son "Johnny" was a good boy and would never have robbed that liquor store.
    They're identical forms of narcissism.

In both cases, those who think this way insist that total strangers need to put the safety of a vicious dog... or a 17 year old armed robber ahead of their own and their loved ones.

The mother of the thug whose son was shot and killed trying to carjack a Chicago cop a few weeks ago was incensed that the retired cop father of the cop shot and killed her son... AFTER her son had shot and murdered the cop.

You have no control over whether a particular idiot has this pyschopathology. All you can do is not knuckle under to it and do what's necessary within the law to protect you and your family.

In Ohio, the law has taken a very firm stance in support of normal people, and against dangerous animals, on four or two legs.

I will not get bit!
    By all means I will subdue the animal
    If that means a kick or a 125 grain HP
    Whatever means
    I wont get bit

I would 'defend' my dog... and truthfully ... if you are shooting or pulling your gun, I don't know if your actions are towards me or the dog..... and I'm not sure I would wait around to find out. If my dog ran up to you barking, it would be to get there as soon as possible to meet you and hope to get some attention or play.
    Good lord almighty, this is exactly what gun-control advocates are warning everyone about! Shoot outs in the street.

It's fine that you're a firm believer that your pooch won't harm a fly, but just how do you expect the public to know that? Wait until the dog slobbers them up while licking them? By that time that person could be pretty well torn up.

That's a sad day when a citizen defends his life and gets killed by another citizen "defending his life".

As a former Animal Control/Code Enforcement Supervisor, I can say yes it is true, every animal that runs up to you is probably not going to attack you, and yes there are specific "warning signs" to watch for...growling, raised hackles, whether or not they animal stops at it's perceived territory boundary or pursues an individual past it's own yard, and even the species of the animal can be a clue. The problem you have is most people aren't trained to know these things and when a "perceived" attack is happening, and a canine, especially if it's a large animal runs out with an obvious attitude problem towards a pedestrian on a public street, the right of protection under the law is with the pedestrian. By law, each and every person going for a "walk" on a public street has the right and expectation to do so without fear of an attack by an animal that most city and county ordinances say have to be chained or fenced up anyhow. As far as you "defending" your dog, if you are close enough to do this, then there is no excuse for the animal to be harrassing passersby any how.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links