New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll

This is a discussion on New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Treo To me it's an integrity issue. If I agree to the job under their conditions ( no carry at work) then ...

View Poll Results: What Do You Do?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign the company policy and not carry as they wish.

108 48.65%
  • Sign the company policy and carry anyway.

73 32.88%
  • Sign the company policy and not carry but try to get it changed when you get the job.

41 18.47%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    To me it's an integrity issue. If I agree to the job under their conditions ( no carry at work) then I take the job under their conditions and I don't carry at work.
    +1. When you sign the conditions of employment agreement, you are giving your word. What good is your word if you violate the agreement because you don't like it? Either sign and don't carry or pass on the job.

JMO.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I work for a major defense contractor in Texas. The policy is "No weapons on company property" this includes the parking lot. I've been told that former employees had lost their jobs due to this policy and their failure to abide by it. It's a tuff position but I agree with the other posts about paying the bills and feeding the family. Situation dictates and you do what you have to.

HotRod
    HotRod03LE

I'm not a Texas native
    but I got here as fast
    as I could.......

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I used to work for a company that didn't allow firearms on the property. I ignored the policy because I wasn't not gonna have a gun in my car for the drive too and from, but I didn't carry in the building.
    I have a new job that allows guns........Cuz it's a gun shop! lol
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I like my job...I really like my pay...

My wife and I have worked very hard to get here...and I will not endanger that...

I work on a federal installation and can't/will not carry...

Besides...doesn't integrity mean anything these days???
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

take the job and don't carry... park on public street if possible, lock gun in car safe in car...

So Say We All on the issue of Integrity! I'm AD USAF and am not allowed to carry on-base, either - even if locked in my In-Car Personal Safe. I've only been tagged for random vee-hickle search one time while stationed here - and never was at my previous assignments - and likely wouldn't be found out. However, I swore an oath and will follow the regulations - even if I don't agree w/them.

My only real issue, overall, is that I have a nearly 30 mile trip, one way. Lot of stuff could happen between home and the base. 'Course, a meteor could wipe out life on Earth, sooooo....

Regardless, the reg's say I can't, so I don't.

Once I retire, if I found a job that seemed worth the money but didn't allow firearms, I'd have to think on it some, but if it wasn't a long drive, I'd certainly consider taking the job and just leaving the pistol at home. If there was no immediate policy regarding it, I likely wouldn't carry in to the job, but would likely leave it in the car, locked up.

Of course, it all depends on the job and any inherent dangers I might feel are apparent. Working in an office where I can see or hear trouble coming at me? Prolly wouldn't have a single qualm about leaving in the car. However, if I were looking at another 30+ minute drive and part of that were thru a less than savory part of town? I'd keep the job only as long as it took me to find another.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

I drive 50 miles round trip for work and I am a restaurant manager. Company policy says no weapons or guns...The company policy isn't going to save my life, soooooooooo I carry.
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

We could always bombard your company with e-mails!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

We cannot decide for you and you should never take advice like this over the Internet. There are many legal and moral issues at play here which none of us can cover 100%. You will have to decide for yourself which choice fits your morals, values, and other things.

If you seek validation for what choice you will make, I hope you make the right choice by whatever definition. A lot of things are at stake given the totality of the circumstances.

I would sit down alone (ie off the forum) and collect my thoughts. Then make a decision and keep it off the 'Net no matter your choice.

I respect whatever choice you make but only you can think, process, factor logic and risk, then act. None of us can do that for you.

That being said, it's a tough decision and I support your recognition of the situation and possible consequence. That should be revered.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Uh... You do realize that he's asking what you would do, right? It's sort of a "What If...?" scenario....
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    Uh... You do realize that he's asking what you would do, right? It's sort of a "What If...?" scenario....
    I certainly wouldn't put it on the public forum no matter what my choice would be. It's a personal choice that is best left personal.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Correct, it is just a what if situation. Even if you don't put your thoughts in the thread the poll is what I'm most interested in.

Thank you so far to all.

Keep the responses coming.

tough question

I struggle with this one because I did sign the policy, but I still carry. I would not have a problem leaving it in my car, except that my car is 20 miles away and I take the bus into downtown Dallas. During the winter months, it's quite dark when I get here in the morning and dark when I leave to catch my bus home. I do make one consideration in that I don't carry during work. My pistol is in my backpack under my desk. I work for a law firm and can't see them changing the policy any time soon, so I keep my mouth shut and follow the "don't ask, don't tell" gun policy.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

It speaks volumes about a person who sighs their name agreeing to follow a given set of rules governing there terms of employment and then turns around and does the exact opposite of what they agreed to.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    My preferred response wasn't there.

My job has a no-weapons policy just like you describe.

I don't carry at work, and have no wish to rock the boat trying to change it. It's a policy written by lawyers to protect the company from lawsuits. Period. They don't care what I think, and won't change the policy based on any activism from me. Plus, gun activism would make me someone of intense interest, and I don't need that kind of publicity.

I don't carry at work because I don't want to be found out and fired. The job pays me very well, and I have a VERY large insurance policy on my life here at this gig. If I get killed at the office, my wife becomes a millionaire. My kids are already out of the house with good careers and families. It's my personal risk management decision. I could get run over by some drunk without insurance, and that's probably MORE likely than me needing a loaded pistol on my person.

I need the job more than I need the gun on company property.
    +1 again. I don't like it...but that's the way it is. The last line sums it up perfectly.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links