New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll

This is a discussion on New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I worked to hard to get where I'am at, retired from the military and was very fortunate to land a good job on base...I just ...

View Poll Results: What Do You Do?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign the company policy and not carry as they wish.

108 48.65%
  • Sign the company policy and carry anyway.

73 32.88%
  • Sign the company policy and not carry but try to get it changed when you get the job.

41 18.47%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll

I worked to hard to get where I'am at, retired from the military and was very fortunate to land a good job on base...I just couldn't risk carrying at work. Secondly, never felt the need to carry, either...so also fortunate in that regard too.
    Biggest downer is that I cant bring a gun on base and leave it in the car....my drive is mostly highway and it's 28 miles one way.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If I feel I must carry at work then I will simply look for another place to work. If I choose to accept the job then my word is worth something. I will not deliberately violate the company/businesses rules that I have agreed to obey. Sorry, say whatever you want, to me it's wrong and there is NO honor in a man who doesn't keep his word.

One more reason I have a gun safe in my truck.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

A tough call no doubt. Never been put in that spot cause I've always worked for small firms that had more to worry about or was self employed. But all of this honor and integrity talk won't feed your kids or replace you if some nut decides not to follow the company policy. It has been known to happen. Some places its a no go for sure, but I wouldn't be scared to play in the gray areas to better ensure my safety and that of my coworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If I would carry at work would depend upon the law, but if it's just company policy...then I might consider planning for SD in a number of ways.

Exactly...time to use one of our several other options for SD.

(Still bites tho...I live in a rural area and try to do all my errands after work so I dont have to drive out again or do them on weekends).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I voted: Sign the company policy and not carry as they wish. Not sure where I stand on if I would have it in my car. Something I will think about if I'm ever in that situation.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

In one of the few fields I love, pizza delivery, the company almost always tells the drivers to not have any weapons of any kind in the driver's car. I carried in my car, anyway. A close friend of mine didn't, and lost his life in a robbery.

A lot of what I hear (read) on this forum is about how we’re the “sheepdogs’ and our CHP makes us “certified good guys” and how we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I’m sorry but I find a huge disconnect between all of that and deliberately lying to my employer. You knew when you accepted the job, that one of the conditions was no carry. If you signed that paper knowing you had no intention of following it That's lying.

ON EDIT
    To those of you who are pissed off at me for writing that I'm sorry. I really did try to come up W/ a different word for a person who makes a promise he/she has no intention of keeping but I can't
    Last edited by Treo; June 12th, 2010 at 09:41 AM.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    What the...?

Why would anyone pick option #1 over option #3? You wouldn't attempt to change CO. policy to allow at least storing your firearm in your vehicle? Willingly give up your carry and not try to change?

Man! 51% of you whimped out!!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Given that I cannot carry in my job of the last 20 years - at a state university - my answer is clear, I guess. I doubt that is likely to change, but would certainly work for it and speak on its behalf. Unfortunately, as history has shown, those who do violence will not be deterred by this policy. Last term we had a campus-wide lock-down when someone "joked" about having a bomb, while I am in class with 200 students who say they know I will protect them.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    My preferred response wasn't there.

My job has a no-weapons policy just like you describe.

I don't carry at work, and have no wish to rock the boat trying to change it. It's a policy written by lawyers to protect the company from lawsuits. Period. They don't care what I think, and won't change the policy based on any activism from me. Plus, gun activism would make me someone of intense interest, and I don't need that kind of publicity.

I don't carry at work because I don't want to be found out and fired. The job pays me very well, and I have a VERY large insurance policy on my life here at this gig. If I get killed at the office, my wife becomes a millionaire. My kids are already out of the house with good careers and families. It's my personal risk management decision. I could get run over by some drunk without insurance, and that's probably MORE likely than me needing a loaded pistol on my person.

I need the job more than I need the gun on company property.
    +1
    I follow the no weapons policy, which includes the parking lot. I don't like it one bit since I work strange hours and drive home late at night, but my family needs me employed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JarHead81mm View Post
    +1
    I follow the no weapons policy, which includes the parking lot. I don't like it one bit since I work strange hours and drive home late at night, but my family needs me employed.
    When I worked for AT&T that was their policy too so, I didn't park in their parking lot and left my weapon in my gun safe in my truck. Not a big deal.

It's disappointing to me to see just how many people will adjust their ethics to fit their own desires and rationalize it and argue that it's perfectly okay and even imply that to not think their way is ignorant.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

These are hard times and getting worse. I have a family to provide for which is impossible without a job. That said , no I don't carry at work. I do keep my sidearm secured in my vehicle. Which REALLY bothers them. Tough ****, its 100% legal I tell 'em. My biggest threat here is coming home to a burglary. I work with ALL liberal anti-gun types where I work. My boss even has even made anti veteran statements. I literally bite my tongue. I am badgered all the time over 2nd Amendment, and self defense issues that come up in conversation. I do not bring them up, but seem to be baited by these people. My conservative values are under constant attack(IE; homeschooling our children).My boss and a couple suck asses have relentlessly tried to get me to quit. Recently its gotten better. I need my job until another becomes available. My point is, prioritize . If its job or ccw, job is top priority...

I have a job as described. I work for a hospital that does not allow guns on the property. So I park off the property. They know it and they are ok with it.

I have a good job on an army base so no carry
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

Someone's sig says "always carry; Never tell".

I'd say the 43% are not chiming in with that in mind.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links