New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll - Page 4

New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll

This is a discussion on New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pray some of the posts on this thread are simply trolls. If not, it's pretty scary. Some imply I should live in a single-wide ...

View Poll Results: What Do You Do?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign the company policy and not carry as they wish.

108 48.65%
  • Sign the company policy and carry anyway.

73 32.88%
  • Sign the company policy and not carry but try to get it changed when you get the job.

41 18.47%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll

I pray some of the posts on this thread are simply trolls. If not, it's pretty scary. Some imply I should live in a single-wide and sell birdhouses from my drivway rather than go unarmed anywhere. That's just nuts.

Do you tell your kids they shouldn't attend university because they can't carry there?

Others would have you believe a loaded pistol is like a talisman - guaranteed to preserve your life in any and all situtations.

Most people live to a ripe, old age without ever needing to use a handgun.

Please tell me these were troll posts. Please. Someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    It's disappointing to me to see just how many people will adjust their ethics to fit their own desires and rationalize it and argue that it's perfectly okay and even imply that to not think their way is ignorant.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ...Why would anyone pick option #1 over option #3?...Man! 51% of you whimped out!!
    I don't like to share with people that I am armed, it is one reason I chose to conceal (as in to keep from being seen, found, observed, or discovered) carry.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If I would carry at work would depend upon the law, but if it's just company policy...then I might consider planning for SD in a number of ways.

I would NOT try to get the policy changed as this would only 'highlight' you on the company radar as someone to watch.

+1

No need to set off the alarms!

Here in FL, they passed a law that your employer cannot legally prohibit you from having a firearm in your vehicle, securely locked, while on company property. So, I would take the job and leave the gun in the car.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    Someone's sig says "always carry; Never tell".
    Every once in a while I have to explain to someone that using common sense is part of that signature... Always Carry - WHERE AND WHEN IT IS LEGAL TO DO SO! Always Carry - UNLESS YOU HAVE GIVEN YOUR WORD THAT YOU WILL NOT IN ORDER TO RECEIVE MONETARY COMPENSATION! (You know, a job?)

Seriously, you knew that right?

Obviously there is no way "ALWAYS" can be absolute.

(Oh yeah, that applies to "NEVER" as well.)
    SHEESH!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Buy a smaller gun (j-frame or taurus 605, for example) in a service caliber.

Don't let a stupid policy cost you.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    A lot of what I hear (read) on this forum is about how we’re the “sheepdogs’ and our CHP makes us “certified good guys” and how we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I’m sorry but I find a huge disconnect between all of that and deliberately lying to my employer. You knew when you accepted the job, that one of the conditions was no carry. If you signed that paper knowing you had no intention of following it That's lying.

ON EDIT
    To those of you who are pissed off at me for writing that I'm sorry. I really did try to come up W/ a different word for a person who makes a promise he/she has no intention of keeping but I can't
    Most, almost all, people in this thread have said they would not go against their company policies.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Most, almost all, people in this thread have said they would not go against their company policies.
    More like 2/3s but, even if that's true how does it invalidate my statement?

More like 2/3s but, even if that's true how does it invalidate my statement?
    Probably the whole 'alot of what I hear/read' statement.

I applied it to this thread. Inaccurately?
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Probably the whole 'alot of what I hear/read' statement.

I applied it to this thread. Inaccurately?

Originally Posted by Treo
    A lot of what I hear (read) on this forum
    Each word in the sentence has meaning.

Again, how is this statement

I’m sorry but I find a huge disconnect between all of that and deliberately lying to my employer. You knew when you accepted the job, that one of the conditions was no carry. If you signed that paper knowing you had no intention of following it That's lying.
    Invalidated by the fact that a majority of respondants to this thread agree W/ it?

Each word in the sentence has meaning.

Again, how is this statement

Invalidated by the fact that a majority of respondants to this thread agree W/ it?
    ok...
    Fortune favors the bold.

In Louisiana, those that carry in their vehicles and park in a private parking lot are protected by law, as long as that parking lot is not fenced in. In other words, if the parking lot is publicly accessible, you can legally keep a firearm in your vehicle same as if in your home. I have actually seen people terminated for carrying in their vehicles, only to have lawsuits ruled in their favor.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    +1

No need to set off the alarms!

Here in FL, they passed a law that your employer cannot legally prohibit you from having a firearm in your vehicle, securely locked, while on company property. So, I would take the job and leave the gun in the car.
    That's not entirely true. Those businesses conducting high security gov't contracts (Sikorsky and the likes) can indeed restrict firearms on Co. property. Sik chose to allow handguns to be dropped off at the guard shack upon entering/retrieving upon departure. Not allowed to store in vehicles! I'm sure caompanies like Lockheed, etc. have similar prohibitions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

To me it's an integrity issue. If I agree to the job under their conditions ( no carry at work) then I take the job under their conditions and I don't carry at work.
    Agreed. It's a hard situation. We're both teachers, can you imagine if either of us were discovered at work carrying around the kids all day? Parents would flip their lids and it'd be front page news (especially in our extremely liberal city).
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

I didn't conceal carry until long after I retired. However, the company where I worked had a "no guns on company property" policy. During deer hunting season, most hunters who worked there ignored this. No one flaunted their guns by leaving them in a truck rack or anything, but most of us hid our deer guns behind the truck seats, then headed for the woods as soon as we got off from work. The security guards were a joke anyhow, doing things like checking employee lunch boxes the day after 5 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood disappeared. Their main interest in the employee parking lots was in writing "company parking tickets" if you had a wheel on a parking space line.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links