New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll

This is a discussion on New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 If I would carry at work would depend upon the law, but if it's just company policy...then I might consider planning ...

View Poll Results: What Do You Do?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign the company policy and not carry as they wish.

108 48.65%
  • Sign the company policy and carry anyway.

73 32.88%
  • Sign the company policy and not carry but try to get it changed when you get the job.

41 18.47%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If I would carry at work would depend upon the law, but if it's just company policy...then I might consider planning for SD in a number of ways.

I would NOT try to get the policy changed as this would only 'highlight' you on the company radar as someone to watch.
    ^^ This. If it's legal to carry at your place of work, then do what you feel you must do. The worst that can happen is you will be fired. However, depending on your profession/field of work, this may haunt you. If it's not a career or long term job(and even if it is), and you feel the benefits out weigh the risks, then by all means carry.

Just be smart. Get a very easily concealable firearm, with a good holster, and the right kind of clothes, and never talk to anyone about it. Nobody. Ever.

Also, don't try and get the company policy changed. You will be looked at with uneasy eyes for the rest of your employment with the company, and it might give them the reason they need to fire you if they ever want. Most importantly, don't fight a battle you can't win. You risk and lose too much in the process. Unless you're management, important management at that, or very high up, your words will fall on deaf ears, and you will be considered a risk to the company.

2. Remove Ads

Looking at things from an employer perspective, if my company had a prohibition on carrying on company property (or any other kind of prohibition, for that matter) and a person signed the employee manual with the intention of ignoring the prohibition, when I found out I would immediately wonder what else he was dishonest about and would put every part of his job under a microscope.

Of course, he would be immediately fired and if any future employer ever asked if I would re-hire, the answer would be a resounding NO.

I simply don't like liars.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

This is a tough question for some people. I do value my integrity, but I also feel that a no gun policy could get me killed or injured. I work in retail Loss Prevention (an no, I have never tried to disarm someone- haha) where I apprehend shoplifters. It is not uncommon to have people push and shove, and though it has not happened to me, my coworkers have had knives and other weapons pulled on them. There is also the possibility of an armed robbery.

I hate to admit it, but I have broken the policy on several occasions... but not on my person. I typically leave my gun locked in a safe inside my truck. That is still against policy, but I cannot imagine a scenario where my vehicle would be searched. I do not like going against my word to not have a gun in my car, but it is a matter of my own safety.

Distinguished Member
    It sounds like you are still in the interview process. You are simply acknowledging the company policy....not necesscarily agreeing, as an employee, to follow it. You are an applicant at this point.

I would sign it and leave my options open to take the job if it is offered.

In other words, you are dating the company at this point, you are not married yet.

I checked the sign and carry anyway box, but I wouldn't bring a gun into my workplace if it was forbidden ... In my last job, they didn't allow weapons, but I left my regular car gun right where it was, locked in my glovebox while I was inside ... do they search cars where you work? I also always carried a knife inside, often using it on whatever I had for lunch, and nobody ever said anything ... maybe it didn't look dangerous enough ...
    "Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." Claude Bastiat

"Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman36 View Post
    This is a tough question for some people. I do value my integrity, but I also feel that a no gun policy could get me killed or injured. I work in retail Loss Prevention (an no, I have never tried to disarm someone- haha) where I apprehend shoplifters. It is not uncommon to have people push and shove, and though it has not happened to me, my coworkers have had knives and other weapons pulled on them. There is also the possibility of an armed robbery.
    That job must suck. I guess you're there simply to snag the snotty teenager or transient gypsie. Personally, I wouldn't want to be put in any type of "law enforcement" role unarmed. That's basically what you are - a store cop. You're enforcing your store "laws". How one can do that unarmed is beyond me. Why would you risk your personal safety to save the corporate suits a few shekels on some insured clothes or electronics. Seems like a waste.

Obviously, a shoplifter or thief may want to avoid detection and a police report, and that may compel them to assault you in an effort to escape. If I was in that job, I wouldn't approach anyone over the age of 12. I'd just report what I saw and perhaps see if I could follow them to get a license plate number. As far as attempting to detain an adult thief unarmed - no thanks. I'm sure I could sack groceries at the supermart.

Just like anywhere else I am legally allowed to carry (in WA, that's virtually anywhere), but there are 'policies' against it, my thought is usually "Are they providing armed security in case a disgruntled former employee or customer comes in to shoot the place up?".

As far as leaving it in your car, you might want to look at the statistics of car theft and prowling.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Just like anywhere else I am legally allowed to carry (in WA, that's virtually anywhere), but there are 'policies' against it, my thought is usually "Are they providing armed security in case a disgruntled former employee or customer comes in to shoot the place up?".

As far as leaving it in your car, you might want to look at the statistics of car theft and prowling.
    And your response answers the question in the original post how?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    And your response answers the question in the original post how?
    Wasn't the question regarding whether you'd carry at work if there were a policy against it? My answer was that if there isn't armed security, I would consider quietly carrying anyway. I don't think it's fair for a company or individual to ask me not to protect myself if they're not going to protect me. Especially with the number of workplace shootings by former employees.

Of course, I'm not concerned about it where I'm at (reeeal small town), but an applicant in a bigger city might want to evaluate it that way. I'd also not carry in a place that was banned by law (schools, courthouses, bars, etc).

Several others have mentioned that they leave their firearm in their car. One of the first things said to me where I work now is the number of people who have had their cars broken into. Because of that, I wouldn't leave a firearm in my car, I either carry it in to work or I leave it at home.

I'm in no position to provide legal advice, but that's what I'd do if I were in your theoretical position.

I am of the opinion that if I am in a situation where I would have to draw, I'd rather get fired later than shot now.
    I can always get another job.

Don't risk it!!! Jobs are too hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    If I feel I must carry at work then I will simply look for another place to work. If I choose to accept the job then my word is worth something. I will not deliberately violate the company/businesses rules that I have agreed to obey. Sorry, say whatever you want, to me it's wrong and there is NO honor in a man who doesn't keep his word.
    +1

Integrity should be the rule of the day.

I work for a denomination-based non-profit and while my VP boss and even the CEO/President agree with the 2A and concealed carry, the company's Board of Directors voted otherwise and thus posted those annoying NO HANDGUN signs.

Although I disagree, I won't go back on my word and carry.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

My new boss(I been with the company a few years) found out I had a carry permit(we were at the target range). He said, " I don't want you to carry at work". I replied, "you will never know if I am or not". He said nothing. A couple of weeks later, His boss (my friend) and him were in the office. I went in, we started chatting, conceal and carry came up, I mentioned I was permitted, My friend (My boss's boss) asked to see my permit. Looked it over, said" yep, your permitted to carry", and handed it back to me. My boss, gave me a somewhat dumbfounded look, looked at his boss and said " So he can carry a gun?" His boss (my friend) replied "He is permitted to carry a weapon." And smiled at me. His boss is corporate head honcho, and when he was my boss, we got along pretty good on and off the job. I am a delivery driver.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Having followed several threads on peoples thoughts about working where concealed carry is not allowed by company policy, I have wondered what peoples responses would be to this scenario.

You go to a second interview for a very interesting new job. They tell you that you are on the short list for the position and want you to fill out some paperwork.

You are given the company rules and asked to read and sign them. In the mix is the statement that no firearms are allowed on company property, buildings or grounds.

What do you do?
    whats state law on carry onto property secure in car?
    "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you !!!" Henry Kissenger as a wise man said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber

No Carry Policy??

In Georgia you cannot stop carry in a vehicle, but you can stop carry into the work place. I have other means to stop an internal blowout issue in the work place. That is my business how that is.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links