New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll

This is a discussion on New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having followed several threads on peoples thoughts about working where concealed carry is not allowed by company policy, I have wondered what peoples responses would ...

View Poll Results: What Do You Do?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign the company policy and not carry as they wish.

108 48.65%
  • Sign the company policy and carry anyway.

73 32.88%
  • Sign the company policy and not carry but try to get it changed when you get the job.

41 18.47%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Job With "No Carry" Policy Poll

Having followed several threads on peoples thoughts about working where concealed carry is not allowed by company policy, I have wondered what peoples responses would be to this scenario.

You go to a second interview for a very interesting new job. They tell you that you are on the short list for the position and want you to fill out some paperwork.

You are given the company rules and asked to read and sign them. In the mix is the statement that no firearms are allowed on company property, buildings or grounds.

What do you do?

if it is a awesome paying job i woul leave my firearm home or take a chance and take it firearm and leave it in the car if i feel i am in fear for my life while leaving work.

I worked for a company that did not allow firearms, retired after 23 years. It was a good job, pay was excellent, and I enjoyed it. I did not carry a weapon while at work.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

In times like these, and especially if you're out of work, you take the job if it can feed your family and keep a roof over your head. If you feel naked (or nekkid as we say here in the south) not being armed, then I suggest - you take the job anyway and keep on looking.
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

My preferred response wasn't there.

My job has a no-weapons policy just like you describe.

I don't carry at work, and have no wish to rock the boat trying to change it. It's a policy written by lawyers to protect the company from lawsuits. Period. They don't care what I think, and won't change the policy based on any activism from me. Plus, gun activism would make me someone of intense interest, and I don't need that kind of publicity.

I don't carry at work because I don't want to be found out and fired. The job pays me very well, and I have a VERY large insurance policy on my life here at this gig. If I get killed at the office, my wife becomes a millionaire. My kids are already out of the house with good careers and families. It's my personal risk management decision. I could get run over by some drunk without insurance, and that's probably MORE likely than me needing a loaded pistol on my person.

I need the job more than I need the gun on company property.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    My preferred response wasn't there.

My job has a no-weapons policy just like you describe.

I don't carry at work, and have no wish to rock the boat trying to change it. It's a policy written by lawyers to protect the company from lawsuits. Period. They don't care what I think, and won't change the policy based on any activism from me. Plus, gun activism would make me someone of intense interest, and I don't need that kind of publicity.

I don't carry at work because I don't want to be found out and fired. The job pays me very well, and I have a VERY large insurance policy on my life here at this gig. If I get killed at the office, my wife becomes a millionaire. My kids are already out of the house with good careers and families. It's my personal risk management decision. I could get run over by some drunk without insurance, and that's probably MORE likely than me needing a loaded pistol on my person.

I need the job more than I need the gun on company property.
    +1

Same situation here, but my company's policy (I hope) doesn't preclude me from securing my gun in my car while I'm in the office.

To me it's an integrity issue. If I agree to the job under their conditions ( no carry at work) then I take the job under their conditions and I don't carry at work.

cmb
    so many discreet ways to carry you could probably do it...

I would say most companies are this way. Keep it in your car - not at home. Most places, they can't say what you can or can't carry in your personal vehicle. Now, if it's a company car, that might be a different problem.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

If I would carry at work would depend upon the law, but if it's just company policy...then I might consider planning for SD in a number of ways.

I would NOT try to get the policy changed as this would only 'highlight' you on the company radar as someone to watch.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I suppose that if you want the job, you gotta play by their rules.

It would depend greatly on the nature of the job, whether I would break the rule or not.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I carry against company policy. I am a part time employee serving tables at a local restaraunt as I go to college. I can find minimum wage elsewhere if I get "made". I am not breaking any local or state laws. I did autograph a peice of paper saying I "understand all company policys and procedures". I do understand them, that dosent mean I follow them.

Company policy

I abide by the company rules, and won't carry in their building. Florida law allows you to have it in your locked vehicle on company property. Must be locked. (Mine is locked and has a gun safe in addition)

In my last full time position, I had to look at this rule from both sides, as I wanted to CC, but I was the Asst. EH&S coordinator/safety/security guy. I suggested that IF the employee had a CWP, let him carry, but only if well concealed. They said NO!
    They said this is a corporate rule from the home office and its cast in concrete. being I had the bad habit of wanting to eat, I stood down. Actually, my boss was with me on this so WE got struck down.
    We both agreed we would not search employees cars, because Fl law allows it.
    However, the concensis was if we responded to a night/weekend call of the alarm systen, we would have weapons, but well concealed.

This would be ammo for another poll:
    How many of you are paranoid of NEEDING a gun at your place of work? I mean, is building security THAT bad? Or are you trying tro protect against another employee going postal?
    When I was doing 2 way radio repair, I had to go into areas and sometimes at night, where a cop would not go unarmed. I carried with the permission of the owner. He simply said keep it concealed unless you are going to use it.

Where I work, the line from "The Hunt From Red October" by Sean Connery "Hey, Ryan, be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react too well to bullets." is very appropriate. Since that is the case and it is against company policy to carry I don't mind complying. The State of MN has legislated that they can't prohibit a weapon in the car, even on company property so traveling to and from work is not a problem.

VIP Member
    There's an old saying:

Where you sit determines where you stand.
    If you need "to work there for your family to be able to sit down to dinner" is far different than if you want "to work there for your family to be able sit down to dinner regularly in very nice restaurants or on your yacht" -- IMHO.

OTOH, if "to work there may mean that your family may well sit down to dinner w/o you forever because of the danger" is a whole different set of values. (Those who put themselves in harms way as LEO, firefighters, military, etc are another whole different set of values.)

Only you can decide what is more important to you.

However, IMHO taking the job and violating the policy could risk everything to be gained by taking the job in the first place.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links