Anybody have training to go with your ccw

This is a discussion on Anybody have training to go with your ccw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seriously thinking of taking one of Massad Ayoobs introductory courses in september. It shows on his website that each year he makes his ...

Thread: Anybody have training to go with your ccw

Anybody have training to go with your ccw

I am seriously thinking of taking one of Massad Ayoobs introductory courses in september. It shows on his website that each year he makes his way around the country teaching courses to us ccw folks. I believe the first course is about all the legal and mental stuff and if you pass that you can take the live fire course. Anybody here ever taken a course from him? If not, what courses have you taken or would recommend? specifically in the Northwest region. It seems like something like this would be a good investment to make for a relatively small price.

Here is Ayoobs website that shows the 2006 course schedule:

http://www.ayoob.com/lfi96.html
    What gun would Jesus Carry?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've not taken any classes with Massad Ayoob, but I'm sure that it would be time well spent. Can't have too much training

I would recommend training with SouthNarc if you get a chance...both knife and concealed pistol...he is the real deal
    http://www.shivworks.com/
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Theres lots of great schools all over . I live in Las Vegas myself and train alot with www.PFCtraining.com i get alot out of it everytime i go . But i would recommend that you talk to someone in your area or even post a question if anyone knows any good schools in your area , word of moulth helps alot. Might be a little pricy but I've heard good things about Thunder Ranch up in your area.

Dan

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Would suggest to you sir,that you talk to several people that have attended the school/training that you are contemplating taking. I have heard some real goods and real bads,both in ref to some of these super-dooper training facilities.

Also some of the training may be great but just not for you. It might be to "urban warfare" type. Would suggest that it be taylored around CCW if that is what you are looking for. Do some checking,do some talking,and you will come up with a facility that meets your individual needs. --------

1952 - 2006
    I would highly recommend Clint Smith and Thunder Ranch for the NorthWest. He is located in Oregon and provides some of the best real world practical training I've ever encountered.

http://www.thunderranchinc.com/index.html
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Anyone know of a CCW-oriented course in Kentucky, Indiana or Ohio? I've already got my license but need to improve my basic shooting skills.

Great thread!! Anyone know about Tennessee? Sorry, not trying to steal thread so send me a PM.

Never attended any of his training but have read and reread all his books. If you get the oppurtunity to attend one of his courses it would be an awesome experience i'm sure.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

VIP Member
    After getting my CCW permit I sign up for an urban tactical course given by a local LEO who trains other LEO's. It was a great learning experience and a lot of fun.

I would recommend that if you are going to carry a weapon you should have some pro training. That said I have been to Gunsite and spent a week with Clint Smith 3 days pistol and 2 days shotguns. You will learn more from either of these places in one week than you could learn in 10 years on your own, it was money well spent.
    A gun is a useful tool for making holes at a distance

"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

The "P" Principal
    Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

I would also like to recommend FAS (Firearms Academy of Seattle) for both basic and advanced CCW training. Great instructors, great facilities, great experience.

http://www.firearmsacademy.com/

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly
    Anyone know of a CCW-oriented course in Kentucky, Indiana or Ohio? I've already got my license but need to improve my basic shooting skills.

check out the OFCC (ohio concealed carry forums) they tend to highly recommend TDI around here

Got to love a dancin Banana

Quote Originally Posted by MR D
    check out the OFCC (ohio concealed carry forums) they tend to highly recommend TDI around here
    Looks promising, thanks!

URL for those interested
    http://www.tdiohio.com/

VIP Member
    I did LFI I and II in Dunbarton, NH in 1986. In fact my class was mentioned in at least two articles Ayoob wrote to support a trial defense theory he had regarding the 21 foot knife v. gun rule, aka, "Tueller Drill."

I really enjoyed both classes tremendously and recommend it to anyone serious about taking such training.

I'd love to go to Thunder Ranch, Frank Garcia's (here in FL) classes, Gunsite, Valhalla, and some of the other top flight schools....but right now, I'd be happy if my agency simply sent me to FLETC's firearms instructor course.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member

Been to a few..

I took my wife to Frontsight in Nevada. She had a blast.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Links