SIG 238 - Cocked & locked?

This is a discussion on SIG 238 - Cocked & locked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm having trouble getting my head around carrying a single action pistol chambered, cocked & locked. I normally carry a G26, but I wanted a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SIG 238 - Cocked & locked?

SIG 238 - Cocked & locked?

I'm having trouble getting my head around carrying a single action pistol chambered, cocked & locked. I normally carry a G26, but I wanted a pocket pistol too. I got a Sig P238 .380. I really like this pistol, and I'm well experienced in the use of 1911's. But still, I never carried a 1911. So help me out here guys. Even with the Sigs 3 safeties, I'm feeling a bit nervous about carrying it chambered. And NO, I don't want to carry it with an empty chamber.

2. Remove Ads

Well, you may find that the only trick to it is to do it. I guess you could carry it cocked and locked on an empty chamber around the house for a while to see for yourself that it isn't just going to go off. I don't have any experience with the Sig P238, but I trust that it is a nice safe gun.

VIP Member
    The little Sig is just as safe as a 1911, I have one also and the thumb safety is very positive unless you deliberately take the safety off it will not disengage by itself. Just use a good pocket holster an carry it with complete confidence.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Sig's are very high quality, well made, ultimately reliable guns. They are MADE to be carried in condition 1. Carry it as a BUG for a few days with an empty chamber, hammer back, safety on. After several days, check it, it will still be the way you left it. That should help ease your mind.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OP, I have that same feeling.

I've got a CZ-82 in my lineup (and a G30). SA is very crisp, fairly light, and while the safety snaps very positively, my concern is it being inadvertantly bumped off and I'm left with a cocked gun with a light trigger.

I don't know the P238 action, but DA is my preference.
    I prefer to carry hammer down and go DA for the first shot. The trigger is long and firm, no more likely than a revolver to inadvertantly discharge.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

GM
    Make sure that the chamber and the mag are empty, then carry it around in the house in whatever type of holster you use. You will see that it does not go off by itself. I have never handled a P238, but carrying a 1911 cocked and locked is totally safe; I carry +1 every day. You perhaps need to know the pistol a little more, otherwise I to not think you would feel in that way.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Make sure that the chamber and the mag are empty, then carry it arrow in the house in whatever type of holster you use. You will see that it does not go off by itself. I have never handled a P238, but carrying a 1911 cocked and locked is totally safe; I carry +1 every day. You perhaps need to know the pistol a little more, otherwise I to not think you would feel in that way.
    I would suggest you carry it with a full mag empty chamber to get a feel for the weight of the gun,It's not like the gun is gonna chamber a round when your not looking
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's just a tool that has a specific job...use it correctly and it will respond accordingly.
    Cocked and Locked, always...Murphy's Law requires this because you just never know...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I tried a couple of Colt Mustangs for a while. I believe they are quite safe from unintended discharges when carried in Condition One, a.k.a. cocked and locked. Only thing is, I figured that an armed opponent might be a bit too safe from an intended discharge! I don't have big hands, but I was concerned that in a hurry, the safety might be a challenge to manipulate. To be clear, I was not concerned about forgetting about the safely, but about missing the little thing. This was during my 1911 days, and I never forgot a 1911 safety.

I decided that Condition One was fine for a pistol that filled my hand, but not so fine when I had to carefully do things "just so" to wipe off the safety.

I briefly considered Condition Two, but cocking that little hammer is not so easy, either, when in a hurry, and that would be yet another carry mode to keep stored in the brain, and remembered at just the right time.

I decided to stay with double-action in my little guns, and that if I needed something smaller than a J-frame, I would just carry my Seecamp LWS-32. I eventually traded off my Mustangs, after spare parts for them dried up. (Some internal parts look VERY delicate!) Had I known that SIG would revive the Mustang as the P238, I might have kept them as fun guns.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would suggest you carry it with a full mag empty chamber to get a feel for the weight of the gun,It's not like the gun is gonna chamber a round when your not looking
    retsupt99: It's just a tool that has a specific job...use it correctly and it will respond accordingly.
    Cocked and Locked, always...Murphy's Law requires this because you just never know...

I always carry my 1911's Cocked and Locked, it is how they were designed to be carried. In a short amount you will get used to the idea and not even think about it.

Texas Solo . . . I hear ya!

All of this talk of carrying a 238 in condition one is troubling. Yes, folks will tell you that it takes a positive action by the user to sweep the safety off. Know what? In your pocket, all sorts of things can possibly make that happen too! In an IWB, I'd feel entirely comfortable with condition one and a P238 . . . just like I do with my USP Compact. Neither has the grip safety of a 1911, but both are clearly safe in that manner. In your pocket? Nah!

Sure would be good if Sig would add a grip safety to the P238!

Just stating my opinion.

JD
    Administrator
    Even with a pocket holster, granted this was not the best pocket (DeSantis Nemesis) holster, in my hip pocket I've had the safety of my Mustang(s) get disengaged just from shifting in my seat. I have not had it come undone in my front pocket.

For the most part I no longer pocket carry my Mustang(s) but carry them IWB.

The only time my 1911 isn't cocked and locked is when I'm reloading it or cleaning it.

It's cocked and locked in storage in my bedroom safe. When I finish caulking the tub and shower and get changed, I'll be wearing it cocked and locked.

If you're used to carrying a Glock, you've been carrying cocked and UNlocked for a long time. Glocks are partially cocked and have triggers that aren't much stiffer (though annoyingly spongy) than a 1911.

You've added at least one external safety (don't remember if it has a grip safety or firing pin block) to the party. Just do it and get used to it.

You could carry it with a round chambered... and just leave the slide off the frame.

Carry as it was intended to! round in the chamber, cocked and locked!
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I just personally never carry my H&K USP cocked and locked. However, I do leave my full-size USP .40 pistol cocked and locked every other night, once I put it on the nightstand before going to bed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links