My LEO Experience - Springfield, MO - Page 2

My LEO Experience - Springfield, MO

This is a discussion on My LEO Experience - Springfield, MO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice to see my wife's home town police or at least this one was cool towards you....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Nice to see my wife's home town police or at least this one was cool towards you.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Methinks it was most likely the Mil ID that got you "off the hook." I haven't been stopped in years, but way back when I was, I handed my Mil ID over with my DL. I usually got a warning.

I've never had a "bad" cop stop me. Most have been annoyingly polite as they hand me a ticket. I don't think my deputy neighbor would be nice to me. He's of the (his words) "I-get-to-ride-a-motorcycle-wear-a-gun-and-pass-out-tickets" kind.

They have to deal with crappy, pissed off people of the worst kind all the time. I don't need to add to their bad day.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like a good experience.

While I have never been stopped while armed I can't say I've ever had a bad experience when being pulled over. I'm always very polite, yes sir, no sir, I apologize sir, have a nice day sir (or ma'am where applicable), hands on the wheel, window down, lights on, car off. I never make a move unless I tell them before hand - for instance reaching over to the glove box for the insurance card. They get no attitude from me, I'm the moron getting stopped for doing something wrong or having faulty equip. Some times I got a ticket, sometimes I got a reduced ticket, sometimes I got a warning. I might of been mad and upset, but not at the officer, he's doing his job catching boobs like me.

I've really only had one unpleasant experience with an officer. I was probably around 17-18 and was meeting some friends at Wendy's late at night (10-11pm). Wendy's is along the "Ave" and we had parked facing the road. From across the road (4 lane divided) in the MickyD's parking lot we see a spotlight and an officer yelling but we weren't doing anything but getting wrong except getting out of our cars to go in and eat. Well he hauls out across the parking lot and we are watching him because he is obviously out to catch someone... it was us! Apparently he didn't want us parking facing the road. A lot of racers would do that, we were in two pickups and a mini van, not exactly the usual Mustangs and Camaros. Anyway, he pulls up behind us and starts yelling at us to move or he'll arrest us for trespass. Now I'm the smallest of the group and least intimidating looking and he's yelling at me tapping his flashlight against my chest. Yes sir, I'm sorry sir, we are just going into Wendy's sir. He didn't want to hear it. We got in our vehicles and literally moved 15 feet from the spots facing the road to the ones perpendicular to the road.

Now I have respect for the shield (heck I'm going to apply for our emergency force) but he was a jerk. But even with all his attitude towards us I never gave him any back. Who knows, maybe he isn't always like that and was having a bad night.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    There is good and bad in about everything. The bad usually have a way of weeding themselves out after time.
    Hopefully all your former co-workers are the good ones in case I ever get stopped on Rt.1 on my way to the beaches. Not that I speed along it or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cad424 View Post
    leo are like everyone else. Some are good some are bad. We all like to thank a vet but myself and other veterans on this board can tell you that some aren't worth thanking.

Most leos are good and most vets deserved to be thanked though.
    qft

+1
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I spent slightly more than a decade traveling as a wholesale manager and was pulled over more times than I care to admit, mostly due to a very, very heavy foot. I've found that most officers, state or local LEO's will give you a break if you are honest and respectful. I've even tried humor, and depending on the mood of the officer, that has worked wonderfully.

Griff, I'm glad it went well for you. I just find it shocking that you were pulled over for speeding...
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

Yeah, I've had pretty good experiences with LEO's in Missouri.

I used to live next town over to the west from Wheatland. Glad you didn't get ticketed in my State.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    So, there you go. Sometimes the those Evile, Nasty LEO Types aren't quite so bad, are they...?
    Oh heck no. Just think about the risk they take doing an "average" traffic stop like that. They deserve to get paid 10 times what they do.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Ain't that the truth!

BTW, I was wrong about the exact location of the stop. Paid more attention when I drove back home earlier today - it was actually the stretch of US65 owned by Fair Grove. So, the nice Sgt. was w/the Fair Grove PD. You know how you sometimes zone out while driving, right? Pay attention to the immediate driving details, but sort of fuzz out on mile markers, exit numbers, etc.. while you've got some great tunes jammin'...?

No? Must just be me, then....

Quote Originally Posted by mech View Post
    Griff, I'm glad it went well for you. I just find it shocking that you were pulled over for speeding...
    Whatever do you mean, Jon...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Yeah, I've had pretty good experiences with LEO's in Missouri.

I used to live next town over to the west from Wheatland. Glad you didn't get ticketed in my State.
    Well, I was actually in Galmey. Are you talking about Weableau? Or Quincy, perhaps? Drove thru Bolivar on the way down, as we'd stopped by a house that an aunt and uncle of mine just purchased and are fixing up, along w/Dad's help. It was quicker taking the roads to/thru Bolivar and back over to US65 than it was to go back to my folks and double back along that route.

Nothing at all unusual to report. Went nice and smooth. Prolly helped with paying particular attention to NOT SPEEDING, I'm sure.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Not bad at all!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

I should play the lotto. I have never had an issue. I have never been pulled over when I didn't deserve it. Never had a ticket that I didn't earn. I have been given more warnings than tickets.
    I wonder how many cops with bad attitudes are reacting to body language attitudes of those pulled over.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 14th, 2010 at 07:57 AM.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    thats the way they should go
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't think my deputy neighbor would be nice to me. He's of the (his words) "I-get-to-ride-a-motorcycle-wear-a-gun-and-pass-out-tickets" kind.
    I get to do the first two without being a LEO, and don't understand the allure of the third. I see a lot of that attitude in the anti state where I grew up (NJ) though.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Glad to know the LEOs are so good in my home town :D Does the ticket tell the street? I have never come across a 65mph road here o.O

I got to church with a Fair Grove PD officer. Can't be too many officers in a town that size. He's a good guy....that is if you happened to be pulled over by my friend :)
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Yo

My dad lives in Wheatland, and my uncle lives in Galmey. I have an uncle that lives in Wheatland also. goes by the name of Holt. My dads name is Tolivar. Also related to the Breshears down there.

I know the area very well.

You got off lucky on the speeding ticket. I think the Mil ID is what did it also.

I have a son over in Iraq on his second tour now.

steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links