My LEO Experience - Springfield, MO

This is a discussion on My LEO Experience - Springfield, MO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read all the previous experiences by folks here in their encounter w/LEO from various areas of the country. I thought that I'd share my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My LEO Experience - Springfield, MO

My LEO Experience - Springfield, MO

I've read all the previous experiences by folks here in their encounter w/LEO from various areas of the country. I thought that I'd share my pleasant experience.

I'm an Arkansas resident who drove up to see my folks near Wheatland, MO. My three kids were with me, w/Wife staying behind for a wedding of a former student to which she'd been invited to attend. I drove up US65 from the Little Rock area and made pretty good time. I usually drive the speed limit plus 5 to 7 over, depending on the roads and traffic. Most of the drive thru Arkansas is on single-lane roads thru heavy hill country, so whenever it's safe to do so, I'll go a bit over, as mentioned.

Anyhow, once I got up to the Branson area, I ended up getting slowed down a bit due to the volume of traffic. The slow-down frustrated me somewhat, but once we got thru to the North end of Springfield, traffic lightened up so I was able to get back up to the speed limit, plus 5 to 7. However, once I got clear of the bulk of traffic, I sped up a bit more than that w/o realizing it.

So, I'm cruising along and spy a black & white in the oncoming lane of traffic (this is two-lane). He immediately shifts lanes to the inside land, which tips me off that something wasn't quite right - and so I looked down at my speed-o-meter. I was gover right about 80mph.

So, w/a target aspect change and me going around the curve of the road, I slowed down to right at 65 - the current speed limit - and waited to see if he was going to come up fast astern. He did, so I slowed down even more and put my turn signal on to pull over to the shoulder. He popped his lights for about five seconds, shut them off and came in behind me. By the time he'd pulled up, I had my registration, insurance, Drivers License and CHCL in-hand. I knew that Missouri wasn't a Shall Inform state, but I had already decided to inform. I had my wallet on my left leg w/my US Military ID in the outer clear window so that it would be easy enough to see.

The officer was a Sergeant and as he came up, I kept both hands out on the steering wheel, w/my paperwork in my left hand. As soon as he asked for it, I handed it over, explained that the card on top was my CHCL and that I was indeed armed. He asked "Are you LEO?" and I said, "No, sir, US Military and pointed to my ID card. He glanced at it, said "OK, are you armed right now?"

"Yes, sir, I am."

"OK, thanks for letting me know," he said. I'll be right back, please sit tight."

Three or four minutes later he came back. He handed me my paperwork, smiled at my youngest (4 yoa) who was waving at him thru the window and told me "Here's your paperwork back. I don't normally do this, but I'm going to just give you a verbal warning. I need you to slow it down. The speed limit is 65 and that's what you should be driving."

I thanked him for his kindness, assured him that I would indeed drop my speed down. Then I told him thank you for the job that he performs - something I hear occasionally in the form of "Thank you for your Service" and something I don't think that most First Responders, be they LEO, Fire or EMT don't hear enough. He thanked me in return and said "Just make sure you keep it to the speed limit."

Which I did the rest of the drive up. I intend to do the same thing on my way home. It's only about 300 miles, I'm not in a major big hurry to get back home by a certain time and so there's really no reason to do so.

I have no clue if it was

So, there you go. Sometimes the those Evile, Nasty LEO Types aren't quite so bad, are they...?

All said with a heavy dose of sarcasm. I really do have a lot of respect for all First Responders, particularly our nation's LEO. I know that most of them are treated poorly or indifferently by civilians and go out of my way to be courteous to them - even those who are real jerks about their job.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I keep trying to tell people, they aren't bad guys. You just have to show them some respect and they will return the favor...

Quick story, then I have to go, one night I had taken my (at the time) 3 year old son out for a walk, and there is a Movie theater right behind the appts, so, as we are walking in front of the theater, there were a few Cops sitting out and talking (busy theater friday night, lots of kids) and I told my son to wave and say hi (teaching him that police are his friend, pretty important stuff, I think!) So, the cop turns on the roof lights to impress my son, class act if you ask me. Well some TOOL (dude in his mid 30's probly drunk) in the line yells "Hey, he's gonna get you, you better run!" I was SOOO mad!!! I thought that was out of line.

Anyhow, if there are kids around, please don't do what he did, very not cool.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

My two boys can't get enough of cops. They're always looking for a sticker.
    Entertech AK Centerfire

Daisy Red Ryder

Sounds like a good encounter, glad all turned out well.

Sounds just like my stop a few weeks ago when I was doing 72 in a 50 zone. That is 22 over the limit and while I posted I was doing 72 in a 55 I found out a few days later that he made me promise to keep it closer to 55 was because I was in a 50 zone.

Glad it all worked out well and I as well will always inform during a traffic stop even though I do not have to. I have also slowed down on that section of road I was pulled over on. I gave him my promise and I tend to keep it.

LEO are like everyone else. Some are good some are bad. We all like to thank a Vet but myself and other Veterans on this board can tell you that some aren't worth thanking.

Most LEOs are good and most Vets deserved to be thanked though.
    Entertech AK Centerfire

Daisy Red Ryder

VIP Member
    Glad it went well for you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks, everyone.

Treo, all I can tell you is that some people are their own worst enemy when it comes to being pulled over. Some folks just expect the worst of LEO and then sort of make their own encounters self-prophetic with their attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Sounds just like my stop a few weeks ago when I was doing 72 in a 50 zone. That is 22 over the limit and while I posted I was doing 72 in a 55 I found out a few days later that he made me promise to keep it closer to 55 was because I was in a 50 zone.

Glad it all worked out well and I as well will always inform during a traffic stop even though I do not have to. I have also slowed down on that section of road I was pulled over on. I gave him my promise and I tend to keep it.
    I used to be really bad about speeding some years ago, w/my average speed being at least 15 to 20 over. Now, I tend to keep it below 10 over all teh time. At least, that's the goal I set for myself. Sometimes you get a nice, clear stretch of road and just sorta... I dunno... lead foot it, I guess?

Anyhow, I have every intention of keeping it at no more than 7 over, as I had done previously on my trip up and try to do all the rest of the time. Last time I had violated that prior to this incident was when I was driving up to Louisville, KY, last month. I got behind a guy in a Camero who was doing roughly 90mph, so I tagged along w/him for about 20 miles, then slowed back down. Just in time, too - we passed him about ten minutes after I'd dropped my speed back down, pulled over on the side of the road w/two TN State Troopers behind him.

Pincels miss spel werds;

There is good and bad in about everything. The bad usually have a way of weeding themselves out after time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

True!I can tell you that even tho I've been pulled over for speeding in the past, I don't get a negative attitude just because I was caught donig something wrong. Most every encounter I've had - even when I was written a ticket w/a high-priced fine - went off professionally with only one exception - and even that wasn't really all that bad. I think I found one of those few "un-fun" LEO.

Pincels miss spel werds;

On highways (even short stretches) I'll set the cruise control for 5 over. I used to lead foot it as a teen. That led to lots of stops and tickets. No tickets in about 10-15 years now using cruise control.

Regards,
    Josh

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    The way a stop should go....thanks for sharing
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart6 View Post
    On highways (even short stretches) I'll set the cruise control for 5 over. I used to lead foot it as a teen. That led to lots of stops and tickets. No tickets in about 10-15 years now using cruise control.

Regards,
    Josh
    I usd to be the same, even doing 19 over the speed limit. Not so much any more. I don't generally do more than a few miles over. Took me too long to pull my head out, tho.

I never copped an attitude w/the LEO because I was caught doing something wrong. To my mind, those who get upset and pissy w/the LEO are little better than a spoiled child who got caught w/their hand in the cookie jar.

Pincels miss spel werds;

I agree with Blackheart6, I was raised in the country and on a good blacktop 2 lane with no traffic I tended to run 65 or 70. I had my first encounter with Leo, while carrying, 60 or so in a 55 (must have been a slow day) and I now use my cruse control as I have a REALLY hard time driving that slowly. My stop went well and he was not worried about me being armed.

Sounds like you met a 'reasonable' cop (ticket or not)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links