My first time...

My first time...

This is a discussion on My first time... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carrying. Heh. Got my permit last week. Had an experience that really stepped up the time-line. My wife and I were sitting around the house ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking My first time...

Carrying. Heh.

Got my permit last week. Had an experience that really stepped up the time-line. My wife and I were sitting around the house playing with our son when we heard someone outside. Went outside to investigate, unarmed, after dark (yeah, I know). It was some old drunk guy creeping the garage. When I met him on the steps, he immediately went into a (seemingly) well practiced routine about being lost and the like. Long and short of it, I ran him off, closed up the house tight, and that was that. Then our neighborhood had a break in. No violence, just a B&E robbery. No one home (thankfully), but the bad guy made off with a wallet and some odds and ends.

We both went and got our permit sorted the next day. 2 weeks later and I get my permit. Went out and picked up my EDC: Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 (.45 ACP, 10+1, very compact). Ran about 150-200 rounds through it, and it ate everything I could throw at it. Picked up a cheap IWB clip holster (gonna order a real one in the next few days) and started my carry experience (4-5 o'clock strong side seems to work best for me).

Went to the movies with my wife and son tonight. Carried, wearing a T-Shirt and hoodie over the top. Yep, I understand the idea behind the www. Wow, talk about nervous/alert. I was just waiting to be called out.... nothing! When the movie was over, asked the wife if I had shown/been obvious at all. Her comment, "You're carrying?"

I guess that means I've done something right? I'm starting a true training regiment on the EDC in the next few days to get hard familiar and to build that muscle memory.

Just a note: out of the box, shooting cheap hardball .45 230g FMJ, the PT145 is shooting about a 5" group for 6 shots. It'll tighten up after I tweak with the sights and get really used to the gun, but that doesn't seem too bad for flat out. Right now I'm running the federal silver tip 185g JHPs, 10+1. I ran about 100 rounds of the FMJ, and 50-100 rounds of the JHP to make sure it would eat em. 0 FTF/FTE, no issues at all.

Anything I'm looking past? Any advice?
    The will to win is meaningless without the will to prepare! -- Joe Gibbs
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live. -- Douglas Adams
    What's the best gun to have in a gun fight? The one you have on you!

P90DC, LCP, PT145, PT140, LCP, Rem 870 and so on and so on...

seems like you have seen the light. Maybe make "battleplans" for the next time some thing goes bump in the night.

and of course practice, practise,practise
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Congrat's! Sounds like you've got things mostly figured out - and sound sharp enough to figure things out that you've not thought of as you go along. Just like most of the rest of us.

Keep on keepin' on!
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the family!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Great feeling isn't it?!?!? I like the fact that I can carry and protect my family a little better than before, ALL THE TIME! Welcome!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimirx01 View Post
    Carrying. Heh.

Got my permit last week. Had an experience that really stepped up the time-line. My wife and I were sitting around the house playing with our son when we heard someone outside. Went outside to investigate, unarmed, after dark (yeah, I know). It was some old drunk guy creeping the garage. When I met him on the steps, he immediately went into a (seemingly) well practiced routine about being lost and the like. Long and short of it, I ran him off, closed up the house tight, and that was that. Then our neighborhood had a break in. No violence, just a B&E robbery. No one home (thankfully), but the bad guy made off with a wallet and some odds and ends.

We both went and got our permit sorted the next day. 2 weeks later and I get my permit. Went out and picked up my EDC: Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 (.45 ACP, 10+1, very compact). Ran about 150-200 rounds through it, and it ate everything I could throw at it. Picked up a cheap IWB clip holster (gonna order a real one in the next few days) and started my carry experience (4-5 o'clock strong side seems to work best for me).

Went to the movies with my wife and son tonight. Carried, wearing a T-Shirt and hoodie over the top. Yep, I understand the idea behind the www. Wow, talk about nervous/alert. I was just waiting to be called out.... nothing! When the movie was over, asked the wife if I had shown/been obvious at all. Her comment, "You're carrying?"

I guess that means I've done something right? I'm starting a true training regiment on the EDC in the next few days to get hard familiar and to build that muscle memory.

Just a note: out of the box, shooting cheap hardball .45 230g FMJ, the PT145 is shooting about a 5" group for 6 shots. It'll tighten up after I tweak with the sights and get really used to the gun, but that doesn't seem too bad for flat out. Right now I'm running the federal silver tip 185g JHPs, 10+1. I ran about 100 rounds of the FMJ, and 50-100 rounds of the JHP to make sure it would eat em. 0 FTF/FTE, no issues at all.

Anything I'm looking past? Any advice?
    Hug the wife more often, My Friend!

Advice? Get some professional training, seriously. You don't know what you don't know.

Acknowledging your responsibility and becoming legally armed, is the first step of many. Now continue to the next step, your tactics and awareness need to be developed. You can read all about it, and that's good, but you need some hands on training.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Advice? Get some professional training, seriously. You don't know what you don't know.
    You're not kidding there man. Plans are to get through some NRA courses (basic pistol to start with, it'll be a good refresher) and so on. I'm fighting to find any kind of concealed course up here as there is no state requirement. Closest I can find is NRA courses in WY... and time/travel temporarily preclude that.
    The will to win is meaningless without the will to prepare! -- Joe Gibbs
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live. -- Douglas Adams
    What's the best gun to have in a gun fight? The one you have on you!

P90DC, LCP, PT145, PT140, LCP, Rem 870 and so on and so on...

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Practice and get as much training as you can. Remember, you likely won't get any time to ramp up from idly passing the time to self defense situation, so you want it to be like falling out of a boat.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

[QUOTE=Vladimirx01;1658048]I was just waiting to be called out.... nothing! When the movie was over, asked the wife if I had shown/been obvious at all. Her comment, "You're carrying?"

Congrats! May I offer some advice?

At first, you'll be sure everyone can see the outline of
    your weapon and that every movement flashes it. You will KNOW everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!" The more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt
    combo, you will hardly notice it. You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts. You will lean to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact,if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to. You will gradually stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place. You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side, and to reach overhead with your weak-side hand. You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend. You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear. In short, you will learn.

Congrats, and welcome aboard. If you can't find any local training to help you, remember to practice as much as you can at a local range. The more you shoot the better you will be.

Be sure to thoroughly test out your chosen self-defense rounds. A jam in a SD situation can ruin your whole day.
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

Congrats on the first time and welcome along. Now about the guy that was filling you full of BS about being lost.......I'm a firm believer in having at least one nice big protective dog. Their BS stories don't fly with something that wants to eat them and they tend to remember where they're at even if they're drunk.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Welcome to the family, how many times when carrying to you do the shirt tug?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

[QUOTE=Keltyke;1658425]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimirx01 View Post
    I was just waiting to be called out.... nothing! When the movie was over, asked the wife if I had shown/been obvious at all. Her comment, "You're carrying?"

Congrats! May I offer some advice?

At first, you'll be sure everyone can see the outline of
    your weapon and that every movement flashes it. You will KNOW everyone is pointing at you - "He's got a gun!" The more you wear it, the more comfortable you will be with it. If you have a truly GOOD holster/belt
    combo, you will hardly notice it. You will learn to "dress around the gun". Dark colors and patterns are your friend, as are loose-fitting shirts. You will lean to stop constantly adjusting the holster. In fact,if the holster/belt is the proper fit, you won't need to. You will gradually stop touching the butt with your elbow just to assure yourself that it's still in place. You will learn to give a little extra clearance on your carry side, and to reach overhead with your weak-side hand. You will learn to stoop or kneel rather than bend. You will learn to move through crowds with your strong side to the rear. In short, you will learn.
    Lots of good info in this post, practice at home w/empty gun to find the best position on your waist for your firearm. I have a IWB holster that I wear most of the time and the position(5:00 -5:30) I use lets me draw weak handed if I have to. Also, check if any one offers post permit classes in your area.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links