Surprisingly decent LEO encounter

This is a discussion on Surprisingly decent LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night, in the heart of downtown Phoenix, 'round 11:30 or so, I made an illegal left hand turn not 5 yards from a couple ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surprisingly decent LEO encounter

Surprisingly decent LEO encounter

Last night, in the heart of downtown Phoenix, 'round 11:30 or so, I made an illegal left hand turn not 5 yards from a couple b&w's (actually, there white and blue out here). Before I'd even set the wheel straight, they flipped the disco lights. (I'll tellya, turn'n port-side in this backwards town ain't the easiest thing to do! "No left between such and such hours.. no access this day and that... drive down the center lane between this time and that time....)

Anyhow, I pulled over, got my documents together, and flipped my big knife up on the roof of the vehicle. The approaching LEO #1 asked, "What's with the knife?"

"Just figured you'd want it out of my reach," I responded.

"Got any other weapons?"

"Yes, sir. There's a firearm in the glove box."

LEO #2 opened the passenger side door and proceeded to take the firearm, telling me more than once to keep my hands to myself. "You got the permit and registration for this thing," he asked.

"Uh, no sir. Didn't think Arizona required it." I'll admit, for a second there I thought I'd missed something.

"What other kinds of crap you got in there," yelled LEO #1. (He yelled...)

"Noth'n else, sir. There maybe a Swiss around here somewhere but I'm not sure."

Two other squad cars had rolled up at that point and they all receded to convene over the numbers on my documents and gun.

I sat through three whole CW McCall songs before LEO #1 finally issued me a ticket (Turns out my brief Weezer phase at 16 finally came back to bite me. Never realized I had a Corrective Lenses restriction on my license..... never actually needed them... just wanted to be hiply nerdy)

LEO #2 threw my firearm and my knife in the trunk, slamming it closed, and told me to be on my way.

Later, I found that they had all but completely stripped my gun and placed everything, including loose bullets into an evidence bag (which I thought was nice enough of'm.)

All in all... it wasn't real a bad experience. I'd probably be just as cautious and suspicious in a neighborhood crawling with crispy critters and anarchist types, but.... they did seem a little over angered by my possessions.

Respect the bajeezez outta them eitherway.
    Last edited by rstickle; June 14th, 2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Language

2. Remove Ads

Wow, I understand illegal turns are serious stuff, but nothing compared to tossing a knife onto the top of the car. I am not a LEO, but the sight of that would certainly give me pause if I were.

Given the reaction, is that something you will do the next time you get a ticket? What is the worst that could have happened had you just carried on about the ticket and not volunteered the SD stuff? Wouldn't you just have received a ticket and be on your merry way? Now they probably have you & your vehicle tagged as armed and dangerous.

Yea, I think sticking the knife on the roof put them on high alert for a possible psycho. No offense intended.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't the best idea. Guess I'd always thought if I was an LEO I'd rather the guy stick any weapons out of his way.

Going specifically by what is in the OP, it may have been a little over the top, but I was use to dealing with people with guns and knives (not legally) nearly every day.

Sounds like a slow night if two other units could roll by just to chit chat.

...they had all but completely stripped my gun and placed everything, including loose bullets into an evidence bag...

I would not call that a good encounter...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The knife was not a good idea. It is none of his business if you have a knife in the car. The second guy just opening your door and searching the glove box is B.S. unless he has your consent. The knife incident set in motion an entirely unnecessary chain of events. Had you kept it to yourself there would of been no acceptable reason for him to open your car door and look in your glove box.

VIP Member
    Somthin' just ain't right here...
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Yeah that sounds a little harsh, probably a reaction to the knife. I would've just kept quiet about it.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...they had all but completely stripped my gun and placed everything, including loose bullets into an evidence bag...

I would not call that a good encounter...

Ditto. I'd be furious. I think it's absurd that any LEO has the right to take your firearm when a stop has absolutely nothing to do with it. They say it's for their own safety, but what about OUR safety? I don't know this guy same as he doesn't know me...a badge doesn't change the fact that we're all just people and have rights. Strip me of my firearm if I'm suspected of something related to it! But taking it apart and throwing all the pieces in the trunk? What if I need it down the road! I guess you can wait until the officers leave...but then as you get out to retrieve it, you get jumped! I imagine a law will bar an officer's right to do this some day in the future. I can't believe it's allowed.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    You probably brought that all on yourself by flipping the knife out there. Here in Phoenix I have NEVER had a problem with an AZ LEO and firearms or weapons. I have had plenty of encounters (thankfully never had a ticket or been arrested or anything like that) with LEO, and unless they ask this is not a "shall inform" state.

You put them on high alert and got some hassle for your blunder. Live and learn I suppose! Next time just stay in the car, be polite and respectful and it may never come up. If it does, I doubt you'll get the kind of hassle you got tonight.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Why do you people insist on doing this stupid stuff? Stop telling the police you're armed if you don't have to.
    Last edited by HotGuns; June 15th, 2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: rude
    Glock "Perfection" is not just a slogan; it is truth in advertising.

Seems to me like they were giving you a hard time because of you throwing your knife on the roof. That was not a good idea.

Everything else that happened I would consider to be a bad experience. There was no need to unload and strip the gun and throw it in the trunk. I'm also not sure if they were allowed to search your car without your permission. I'd call their supervisor!
    Member of:
    National Rifle Association
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    Ohioans for Concealed Carry
    Defensive Carry
    United States Conceal Carry Association

VIP Member
    To me, this traffic stop doesn't necessarily fit my definition of a decent LEO encounter.

I've only had one encounter with AZ LEO, we were passing through AZ and the U-haul transmission got a little hot so we pulled off the Interstate to check it out. Within a minute or so a LEO (state?) pulled up to check on us, he was great, and said he'd be patrolling this stretch and if we were still there later, he 'd come by and check on us again.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    If in AZ a good experience with the cops includes that they:

- are in your glovebox and the interior of your car
    - are in your trunk
    - dispossess you of your property needed for protection
    - disassemble your property
    - throw your property into your trunk in a manner that could damage it

Short of going to jail, what does a bad experience look like in AZ?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links