Best holster/gun for a fat guy?

This is a discussion on Best holster/gun for a fat guy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've used a N82 tuckable for a while and like it a lot, but lately I've been using a Remora holster. I was skeptical at ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best holster/gun for a fat guy?

Distinguished Member
    I've used a N82 tuckable for a while and like it a lot, but lately I've been using a Remora holster.
    I was skeptical at first, but the thing stays right where I put it and doesn't require a stiff belt to work well.. Us really "big" guys can attest to the fact that solid belts are NOT comfortable when your measurable waistline increases when you sit down ;)
    The Remora works very well with elasticized belts and even works with drawstring sweatpants... and it's comfortable. I have literally had to touch it on occasion to make sure it's still there (which it was, of course).
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

2. Remove Ads

I have "dunlops". Where my belly done lops over my belt. I find I easily conceal a Glock 27 in a Galco SOB OWB holster carried at 4:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    After a few hours (read: around 12) of research and reading reviews and watching videos, I think I am going to go with a Crossbreed Supertuck with either a Kahr pm45/pm40 or a Taurus PT 24/7 .45/.40. Thoughts on Kahr vs. Taurus, and .45 vs .40?
    Check out the new XDs. I just bought one, and it's very nice. I'm a big dude.

It sounds like you need to wear your pants a little higher (get the belt line up higher) and/ or loosen the belt and add some suspenders. A tight belt will force the handle of the gun outwards when trying to hold your pants up when you are pear shaped. I am a big man and I wear a belly band but if I wear my pants to low it does the same thing

Best holster/gun for a fat guy?
    BraHolster.jpeg
    Depending on the amount of cleavage.

Michael

PM
    Back when I was 290# I carried about 4:30 to 5:00 IWB a P89. I also carry a PT111 4-4:30 iwb. Since getting down to 190-200# I have moved the PT111 forward to 3:30-4 for comfort reasons. It really does not matter what works for us; I will bet most of us messed around with placement of the gun till we found the sweet spot of the moment; as I said once you lose the wieght you will need to look for the sweet spot again.

The Simply Rugged Cuda works for me @ 4 to 4:30. I switch between s Sig 229, G19 and a Kimber Tactical II Pro.

Lots of great advice. I was thinking medieval when the fat knights hired a squire to carry their weapon. Maybe you could get a skinny wife to tote your guns and keep her close. I have a similar problem and let my wife carry an assortment of guns for me to choose from. Also, you can throw her at the bad guy to gain some time to get on target or run away.

So I'm a short fat guy, O.K.? 5'8" and 240 pounds. What I've discovered over the years is that it's a combination of clothing, belt, gun, and holster.

First thing, buy your clothes big! Tight pants and a tight belt make those love handles pop right out there. And pull them up higher. Closer to your belly button than your hips.

Next up, buy a belt that will support your equipment. I have used a couple of 5.11 casual belts for the last 2 years. I'm very happy with them.

For an IWB holster I use an MTAC. Very comfortable and adjustable. But any of the hybrid holsters should work well. I also regularly carry OWB in a HBE Specialty Leatherworks holster.

Lastly I always wear suspenders. Not cool, I know! But my pants stay up! This allows me to not tighten my belt to the point that I can't breath. I use some from Duluth Trading Co. They are unbelievable! They just don't sag at all.

As far as my carry gun, if I can wear a cover shirt it's a Glock 26 or 17. The 26 gets carried with either a G26 mag with an extension or a G19 mag with a sleeve.

If I'm wearing just a t shirt, it will be the G26 with the mag without any extension.
    Question Everything!

After reading through all of these threads and seeing the weights and heights of a lot of the other members I think we need to have a weight loss sub forum.

Yoda, I am, yes.

6-2 275 lbs. Don't forget the value of Perry suspenders. It's tough for us large guys to cinch up the belt enough to keep a moderate heavy gun where it belongs and not be WAY too tight for comfort. Perry suspenders over a tee shirt under an oversized untucked shirt. Pure comfort. I carry a 5" 1911 this way everyday. Perry suspenders...at WalMart...cheap.

Best of Luck.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    After reading through all of these threads and seeing the weights and heights of a lot of the other members I think we need to have a weight loss sub forum.
    Hey! I resemble that remark.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    Hey! I resemble that remark.
    "Do not judge so that you will not be judged” Matthew 7:1 "
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin
    "A gentlemen will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjb65 View Post
    "Do not judge so that you will not be judged” Matthew 7:1 "
    ??? I don't get it. Yoda made a joke and I made a joke. So, I'm still trying to figure out how this relates since you quoted both of us.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    I have seen a couple of these threads, and was wondering what you guys would suggest for me.

I am 6'1" 250 lbs, part muscle, but more fat, and the 'ol love handles make it a pain in the love handle to carry my current gun. (A full size steel frame Tanfoglio Witness with accessory rail). The main problem is that the LH sticks out more than where I wear my belt on my waist and it is pushing the butt of the gun out to the point that I print almost no matter what.

Now, I am possibly looking to buy a Kahr pm45 as my next pistol and use it for CC instead, though I am open to all makes and models so long as I can CC with relative ease and comfort.

Is a shoulder holster a better option for me? I do not mind them terribly, and my local gun shop is about to get a new line of clothing designed around shoulder holsters so that would not be too much of an issue, though I do enjoy my T-shirts :)

I am in the process of losing weight for the Coast Guard and eventually this will not be as much of a problem, but I am not going to it up until that time.

Either that or I'll get really really fat and tuck the gun in a fat roll

Any and all help is appreciated!
    I also have seen several threads relating to firearms etal and being overweight. Without trying to be disrespectful (and I did see where you are trying to lose weight for Coast Guard duty) it just seems that any of the authors of these kinds of threads can "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" as the saying goes. You are concerned about being able to defend yourself and insure your safety with a holster that will conform to your overweight condition, which statistically, is more dangerous to your safety and well-being than any potential for a "what if". What is it about this obvious and truly only solution that seems to be lost on so many that will save your life. If some of these thread writers would pay more attention to their health/weight than to their firearm, they will probably live longer, and isn't that what this whole firearms thing is about---living.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links