Best holster/gun for a fat guy?

This is a discussion on Best holster/gun for a fat guy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Shackleton I have seen a couple of these threads, and was wondering what you guys would suggest for me. I am 6'1" ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best holster/gun for a fat guy?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    I have seen a couple of these threads, and was wondering what you guys would suggest for me.

I am 6'1" 250 lbs, part muscle, but more fat, and the 'ol love handles make it a pain in the love handle to carry my current gun.
    Losing the extra weight and adopting a lifestyle that keeps it off, will do far more for your life expectancy than carrying a gun. If it also allows you to concealed carry, that's a bonus.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

2. Remove Ads

Gun, holster, magazines, ammo...cost $$

Maybe add a gym membership to the kit.

CJM
    Long term solution: Eat healthy foods and implement a exercise regimen into your lifestyle.

Short term solution: Buy a OWB holster and wear shirts that fit in a manner that conceals your gun, but isn't too loose and sloppy looking. Short sleeve button up shirts and an Under Armour heat gear tank top is part of my summer attire, along with regular t-shirts that fit just loose enough for me to conceal my weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    ??? I don't get it. Yoda made a joke and I made a joke. So, I'm still trying to figure out how this relates since you quoted both of us.
    Must be nice to have no human defects or maybe you do. We all have that button that gets pushed once in a while. Do you joke about the "short bus" too? How about mentally challenged or handicapped people? As a former "Fat Guy" I choose not to judge or make fun of anybody. Some things are best left unsaid.

Yoda read your sig.
    Finegan likes this.
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin
    "A gentlemen will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjb65 View Post
    Must be nice to have no human defects or maybe you do. We all have that button that gets pushed once in a while. Do you joke about the "short bus" too? How about mentally challenged or handicapped people? As a former "Fat Guy" I choose not to judge or make fun of anybody. Some things are best left unsaid.
    I said, "I resemble that remark." which means that I'm a fat guy. Actually short and fat. But I can laugh about me. Sorry if not all can. I think, just like all of the PC crap, that people are too sensitive these days. I was made fun of my weight all the time when growing up. Yes, it hurt. But I have found that if I can't laugh at myself then life just gets too serious.

My advice - lighten up.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

CJM

Yoda read your sig.

I am a big fan of UBG holsters, i am 6'0 245....use a bonneville high ride owb holster for a springfield sub compact, covers and conceals very easy, or a canute, iwb....glock, conceals very good and comfy...quality work from this holster maker, but do not forget a good belt, he makes them also, but wherever ya go, get a gun belt not a wal-mart belt...but lately been carrying my little airweight smith, in my front pocket, n loving it...with a pocket holster....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Carjacker Crossdraw @ 11 O'clock..

Go to "Andrews Custom Leather". Click on Catalog.. Concealed.. and Carjacker Crossdraw. Wear it just like the picture, ie: 11 O'Clock.

Carjacker.jpg

Cover it with a untucked longer waisted shirt and it becomes concealed... and easy to get to.

FireStar M40

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar

Yoda read your sig.
    Maybe the way some of these replies are worded, the idea that "fun is being made of someone" is not the intent and certainly was not my intent. The focus on being negative about overweight is really simple and it is statistically and factually true---you lose weight and eat properly and maintain a healthy lifestyle you live longer and no amount of firearmor holsters will match that record. If it takes making "fun" to make someone do the above or to at least "look in the mirror" then, in the long run, it is doing that person a big favor---a bigger favor than recommending a holster.

Find the heaviest gun/holster combo you can find, 35-40 lbs. would be ideal. Then wear it while walking 2-3 brisk miles every morning. Problem solved.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You haven't really mentioned how you have tried to carry...OWB or IWB.
    I think that you would find a shoulder holster a pain for CC in warm weather.OMO
    I had always used IWB (in the waistband) holsters until I found this OWB (out of the waistband) holster.
    FIST, INC.

The picture on the right with a Glock in it is just like mine...actually I have them for two different Glocks.

It does have a cant which makes the grip disappear into the side, and the gun rides as tightly against the body as any IWB holster I have. It's a quality holster that allows for one-hand re-holstering.

There are many quality holster makers within these threads and many members will recommend various holster makers...Fist is just one of them...I have found Fist to be quality, reasonably priced, and delivery within 3-5 weeks (not many months like some makers).

Enjoy shopping!
    I also carry a glock in a Fist, but I have a model 11 Fist.

I agree IWB works better for me and a forward cant of 15 degrees helps too. For comfort I would also suggest a pair od Perry suspenders:
    Perry Suspenders

These attach to any belt and support the weight of the gun and mag holder without having to cinch your belt so tight you can't breathe.

I am quite a bit shorter than the OP and find I can carry the glock IWB under an untucked shirt with no problem.
    I am 5-8 and weigh 240 lbs so my love handles are probably as noticable as the Op's.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    After reading through all of these threads and seeing the weights and heights of a lot of the other members I think we need to have a weight loss sub forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll bring the donuts! oh.. wait...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by pcctex View Post
    6-2 275 lbs. Don't forget the value of Perry suspenders. It's tough for us large guys to cinch up the belt enough to keep a moderate heavy gun where it belongs and not be WAY too tight for comfort. Perry suspenders over a tee shirt under an oversized untucked shirt. Pure comfort. I carry a 5" 1911 this way everyday. Perry suspenders...at WalMart...cheap.

Best of Luck.
    My second vote for perry suspenders, but I didn't know they carry them at walmart!! I was thinking I need to order a second pair soon in case mine start to wear out, they are three years old. I guess I am going to walmart this weekend!

6'2'' 290 I carry a g26 in a Kholster IWB. I didn't think I would be able to carry IWB, but the gun disappears in this holster. I can even wear tshirts.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I am 6' / 280lbs. My success has been with my wife buying shirts in the "tall" size and one size larger. Some shirts, Carhart for example, I can wear my standard 2XL size and no problems with OSWB. Tees are my mainstay since I do mostly mechanical work these days. My ideal setup is a G26 or G27 in a Tagua holster. Total comfort however if I wear a long (tall) shirt a fullsize 1911 is not an issue - Providing - I am wearing a sturdy, well made belt. The proper belt plays a major roll for gravity challenged folk.

Regards!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links