Best holster/gun for a fat guy? - Page 5

Best holster/gun for a fat guy?

This is a discussion on Best holster/gun for a fat guy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im 5' 9" tall and 280 lbs, I have carried a full size .45 and a Glock 19 9mm with out any problems printing at ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best holster/gun for a fat guy?

Im 5' 9" tall and 280 lbs, I have carried a full size .45 and a Glock 19 9mm with out any problems printing at all. I use a crossbreed supertuck inside the waiste band at the 8:00 position. I find it very comfortable.

Count me in on the perfect holster search as well.

I have most of you beat size wise. 6'3" @ 360 Lbs. I'm big boned LOL

Anyway, the ol' spare tire does indeed cause me concern, even though I'm in VA where open carry is legal and printing isn't an issue (legally). In a way, I wonder if printing isn't actually worse than open carrying. If your gun becomes visible all of a sudden, that may be more likely to freak someone out than if you just walked into McDonalds with the thing on your side out in plain site. I would LOVE to be able to carry that way, but even though it's legal it's simply not done enough to allow the public to be used to it.

I carry an SA EMP 9, which is a re-engineered 3" 1911. It's also slimmer than a standard 1911.

I tried a Galco "USA 2nd Amendment" holster. It fit ok, but there is no backing to it and the 1911 style safety was cutting into me like crazy.

Next I tried N8 Tacticals pro holster. I love the idea, and the backing is brilliant, but it's a single-clip design and because of where the non-adjustable clip is it rides WAY too high and the spare tire pushes it out much too far. Damn shame because I like those guys and most of the design.

My next attempt is going to be the Comp-Tac Minitaur MTAC. It's fully adjustable, so I should be able to set it up so the EMP rides very low and deep into the waist band. That's what I need to get around the problem.

You can also replace the body of the holster for a new gun instead of having to purchase an entirely new holster. It seems to push all the right buttons. Anyone tried one?

Black-MTAC-PN.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Some may think this is a joke but it really isnít. Perhaps a modified version of this holster by the maker, could facilitate a practical carry.

Leather gun holster, concealed carry holster - Simply Rugged Holsters? - Proudly made in the USA
    I have made a holster like this out of a regular strong side Galco Fletch and some straps. Works great.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

What helped me lose my weight was start eating smaller meals 4 or 5 times a day. Stay away from processed flour and certain carbs as much as possible. It's hard to do at first but u get used to it..I went from 5'10, 242 to 180. I feel a lot better too.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

As a guy who used to weigh upwards of 340+ pounds and who now weighs less than 200, I can tell you that if you lose the weight and get into better shape you will not only have a MUCH easier time carrying in any more you wish but you will feel better and you will also KNOW that you are better able to defend yourself and you r loved ones.

My best advice is, don't focus on a particular mode of carry that will work better for the fat you, focus on losing weight and getting into better shape and all modes of carry will open to you.

How I lost weight was, I stopped eating crap, started eating healthy meals and smaller meals, but eating every 3 hours. I started drinking a lot of water. A gallon a day at least. And I bought an elliptical machine and I used it. A lot.

I went from 340 pounds to 155 pounds in 9 months. Size 46 pants to a size 29.

side20by20side202bd0.jpg
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

im a fat guy...honestly a revolver is the most comfy to carry...after that OWB is the way to go
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    As a guy who used to weigh upwards of 340+ pounds and who now weighs less than 200, I can tell you that if you lose the weight and get into better shape you will not only have a MUCH easier time carrying in any more you wish but you will feel better and you will also KNOW that you are better able to defend yourself and you r loved ones.

My best advice is, don't focus on a particular mode of carry that will work better for the fat you, focus on losing weight and getting into better shape and all modes of carry will open to you.

How I lost weight was, I stopped eating crap, started eating healthy meals and smaller meals, but eating every 3 hours. I started drinking a lot of water. A gallon a day at least. And I bought an elliptical machine and I used it. A lot.

I went from 340 pounds to 155 pounds in 9 months. Size 46 pants to a size 29.

side20by20side202bd0.jpg

i lost 54 pounds in a month by cutting out sugar, bread and anything fried. I need to get back at it
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Pocket carry.. Not the most effective but there is usually lots of room in big pants pockets. I usually carry S&W 442 or Ruger LCP this way.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links