Best holster/gun for a fat guy?

This is a discussion on Best holster/gun for a fat guy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen a couple of these threads, and was wondering what you guys would suggest for me. I am 6'1" 250 lbs, part muscle, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best holster/gun for a fat guy?

I have seen a couple of these threads, and was wondering what you guys would suggest for me.

I am 6'1" 250 lbs, part muscle, but more fat, and the 'ol love handles make it a pain in the love handle to carry my current gun. (A full size steel frame Tanfoglio Witness with accessory rail). The main problem is that the LH sticks out more than where I wear my belt on my waist and it is pushing the butt of the gun out to the point that I print almost no matter what.

Now, I am possibly looking to buy a Kahr pm45 as my next pistol and use it for CC instead, though I am open to all makes and models so long as I can CC with relative ease and comfort.

Is a shoulder holster a better option for me? I do not mind them terribly, and my local gun shop is about to get a new line of clothing designed around shoulder holsters so that would not be too much of an issue, though I do enjoy my T-shirts :)

I am in the process of losing weight for the Coast Guard and eventually this will not be as much of a problem, but I am not going to it up until that time.

Either that or I'll get really really fat and tuck the gun in a fat roll

Any and all help is appreciated!
    Phaedrus likes this.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

AzB
    Does your holster have any cant? I've found that behind the hip with some cant and riding high, I can hide just about anything, even a large capacity (15+1) .45. I do have to wear a larger shirt than normal, untucked, but that's pretty normal for big guns. Also, the shirt cut, color, and pattern can have some effect on printing as well.

It takes some experimentation with different guns and holsters to get it right.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

You haven't really mentioned how you have tried to carry...OWB or IWB.
    I think that you would find a shoulder holster a pain for CC in warm weather.OMO
    I had always used IWB (in the waistband) holsters until I found this OWB (out of the waistband) holster.
    FIST, INC.

The picture on the right with a Glock in it is just like mine...actually I have them for two different Glocks.

It does have a cant which makes the grip disappear into the side, and the gun rides as tightly against the body as any IWB holster I have. It's a quality holster that allows for one-hand re-holstering.

There are many quality holster makers within these threads and many members will recommend various holster makers...Fist is just one of them...I have found Fist to be quality, reasonably priced, and delivery within 3-5 weeks (not many months like some makers).

Enjoy shopping!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with AzB that behind the hip may work better.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I'm 6'2" and about 250 lbs. IWB at about 10:00 with a 3" 1911. It can be done.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

I'm a shrunken 5"10" and around 235#. I've found that my full sized 1911 is very nearly invisible in my Crossbreed supertuck.

5'11, 300.

IWB w/ a Galco N3 holding a Sig 226. Holster at 3 or 4 o'clock. I can feel it, but I've worn it all day without complaint. In a way, I'm more at ease when I can feel it since it reminds me of my conscious choice to carry. I suppose it helps me from becoming complacent and lose situational awareness.

Luckily, here in VA, we don't have to worry about printing. If someone takes notice of my weapon, it's usually because I'm bending over or twisted about which causes me to print. I don't lose sleep over it because I'm still within the law. I've found that most people just aren't that observant.

Good luck on your quest to join the Coasties, by the way. Let us know how that goes!

I'm in good shape... round is a shape, isn't it?

Seriously, I'm 5'9" and am overweight (yes, I'm working very hard to change this.). I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 in a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck IWB holster.

I chose the PF-9 because of it's size and the fact that 9mm ammo, the minimum caliber I'm comfortable with for self defense, is easy to find and relatively inexpensive. There are other brands that are similar but more expensive. So far, after putting 200+ rounds of FMJ and 30 or so rounds of Hordady Critical Defense FTX through the pipe, I've had zero failures with the PF-9. No FTEs or stovepipes and no FTFs.

I chose the crossbreed Mini-Tuck as it's smaller, more comfortable than the Super-Tuck and more appropriate to the PF-9. I have a Super-Tuck for my SP-101 and find that for multiple reasons it's not nearly as comfortable for me, the primary being a substantially wider gun.

This is my EDC and I can carry it all day without knowing it's there. Sitting, driving, standing, walking... no matter. It's the most comfortable combination I've had the pleasure of using. YMMV.

Jerry
    Vietnam Veterans of America - Life Member
    NRA - Life Member / GOA - Life Member
    SAF - Life Member / AzCDL - Life Member
    Avid motorcyclist for over 50 years.

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving - Lao Tzu

I am 6' and 320. I carry either a Springfield XD45C or XD9SC in a Crossbreed Supertuck (IWB) in the 4:00 position. I have no problem concealing and (as long as I wear an undershirt) the holster does not rub. It is very comfortable carrying either XD all day in the Texas heat. I don't usually tuck my shirt in but I can do it as long as I wear a size larger. I have a fairly forward cant as well.

I've hung out with a number of people who have no idea I was carrying and the buddies of mine who know I do (and carry themselves) tell me it is not noticeable.

I highly recommend the Supertuck (as well as the XDs).

I'm 6' 245lbs, and I carry my Glock 30 OWB and I dress around it. To my knowledge no one has ever noticed. The key to me is always wearing an overshirt (usually a button up shirt, with rolled sleeves), that is loose enough to hide my EDC.

Good luck!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Does your holster have any cant? I've found that behind the hip with some cant and riding high, I can hide just about anything, even a large capacity (15+1) .45. I do have to wear a larger shirt than normal, untucked, but that's pretty normal for big guns. Also, the shirt cut, color, and pattern can have some effect on printing as well.

It takes some experimentation with different guns and holsters to get it right.
    Yes, I have tried using a heavy cant using a thumb break leather holster at 4 o'clock IWB but it is still noticeable. I think that the gun may really play a part, I mean it's most closely related to the CZ75 size wise and then add a fairly large accessory rail it just gets awkward to carry.

I'll keep trying with it for now though, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You haven't really mentioned how you have tried to carry...OWB or IWB.
    I think that you would find a shoulder holster a pain for CC in warm weather.OMO
    I had always used IWB (in the waistband) holsters until I found this OWB (out of the waistband) holster.
    FIST, INC.

The picture on the right with a Glock in it is just like mine...actually I have them for two different Glocks.

It does have a cant which makes the grip disappear into the side, and the gun rides as tightly against the body as any IWB holster I have. It's a quality holster that allows for one-hand re-holstering.

There are many quality holster makers within these threads and many members will recommend various holster makers...Fist is just one of them...I have found Fist to be quality, reasonably priced, and delivery within 3-5 weeks (not many months like some makers).

Enjoy shopping!
    I have tried IWB and OWB so far at 1-4 o'clock with the most comfortable option at 4. However it is hellafied discomfort with an IWB and I find my pants printing as well as my shirt, and when I carry OWB the shirt makes it painfully obvious.

Open carry, which as stated is legal in VA, is just fine for me comfort wise but I do not want the added hassle, plus a couple of my friends have had people put hands on their guns in an attempt to take it from them. I do not want to allow that chance.

I will say I know exactly what I am looking for when I look for printing and that most likely plays into it despite my best efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by novasig226r View Post
    5'11, 300.

IWB w/ a Galco N3 holding a Sig 226. Holster at 3 or 4 o'clock. I can feel it, but I've worn it all day without complaint. In a way, I'm more at ease when I can feel it since it reminds me of my conscious choice to carry. I suppose it helps me from becoming complacent and lose situational awareness.

Luckily, here in VA, we don't have to worry about printing. If someone takes notice of my weapon, it's usually because I'm bending over or twisted about which causes me to print. I don't lose sleep over it because I'm still within the law. I've found that most people just aren't that observant.

Good luck on your quest to join the Coasties, by the way. Let us know how that goes!
    Amen, I love VA for that! I agree that when I have my gun on me keeps me in a state of readiness when I am upset by it's discomfort, but you are right we don't have to worry if hour gun may happen to show.

Thanks for the support on the Puddle Pirates! I should have my Associates degree and be ready to rock and roll in about a year now
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

I'm 6'1" 225#. H&K USP compact 9mm. IWB Tucker 2PM, soon to be with a Beltman belt. With a sweatshirt or sweater it is very low profile. Also sometimes carry OWB at with a sport jacket. Not a problem.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    You can open carry in Virginia.

VIP Member
    Some may think this is a joke but it really isn’t. Perhaps a modified version of this holster by the maker, could facilitate a practical carry.

Leather gun holster, concealed carry holster - Simply Rugged Holsters? - Proudly made in the USA
    Attached Images
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

First if open carry is legal in your state I would not worry to much about printing. Wear looser clothes and avoid polo shirts. When buying new clothes I get them a size larger to allow for the gun. Holsters help conceal guns but your wardrobe is also important part of it. I loved polo shirts but stopped wearing them unless they were really loose. I had my shirt pull up exposing my grip at McDonnell's and nobody noticed. The only people that notice printing is other CPL holders who really don't care. I carried my mag holder exposed one day I had two people say something one a ex cop friend at church ask if I had my gun on me. I said no it was left in the car. Can't carry in church in MI. He laughed.
    The other was a guy at the sporting goods store and ask what gun I was carrying. I also have many different firearms I carry with different dress. I am a wedding DJ and sometimes have a PPK/S with my tux. It is lighter then my 1911 and tux pants has no belts to hold my firearm. I carry a full size Beretta 92 FS, 1911, a 632CT and a PPK/s. I use a M-TAC and Crossbreed Supertuck and Mini Tuck. All are great holsters.

Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links