First leo encounter already :(

This is a discussion on First leo encounter already :( within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me start off by saying I have never gotten a traffic ticket before so I'm shocked that this happens so soon after just getting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First leo encounter already :(

First leo encounter already :(

Let me start off by saying I have never gotten a traffic ticket before so I'm shocked that this happens so soon after just getting my CCW But the encounter itself was pleasant and he was on of the friendliest troopers i've dealt with to date (When I got T-boned in the snow a year or so again the young trooper (looked to be my age) who came was a total tool but other than that every LEO i've dealt with has been nice).

So I was driving home late at night talking on my blue tooth headset. well it ran out of batteries (i'm usually good at charging it all the time) and for the remainder of the ride I switched to the head and shoulder with hand support routine (I didn't want to drift off while driving so late at night so I was talking to my fiancee). Well Murphy's law kicked in and not 10 minutes after switching to hands on a trooper pulled upt o pass me on the left, as soon as he was besides me I said "Oh crap!"and dropped the phone...

...too late..he slowed down and pulled behind and pulled me over. I shut off the engine and opened the driver's side window and put on my flashers and then I realized my shirt isn't covering my G19 on my right hip (I drive like that sometimes at night because its easier to reach it) So I decide I will inform the LEO right away I have a permit since I don't want to put my hand anywhere near my hip while he approaches.

Well he approaches my passenger side because of the Highway and that window is closed. so now he can see me and my pistol but the window isn't open so I can't speak to him... I turn on the power and roll down the window per his instruction and inform him that I have a permit and a weapon on me and he just says "Okay"

When he tells me to give him my license and reg I keep my left hand up and reach into my glove box, and he says "thats okay you don't have to keep your hand on the wheel, it will make it easier"

So he went back to his cruiser and came back with my $100 fine and says to stay safe next time. He was very friendly and wasn't jumpy and didn't care at all that I had pistol visible on my hip

Besides the ticket all and all it was a great feeling, next time I will remember to keep my earpiece fully charged.
    Last edited by rstickle; June 15th, 2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Language
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

To be honest though my first thought as he was approaching was "Oh crap! black guy with a gun at night! I'm gonna be searched!"
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Sounds like it was a good stop minus the ticket.

Well, sorry to hear you got a ticket, but glad to hear it went smoothly, all things considered. I take it that speaking on the cell w/o using hands-free is illegal in CT? It's not illegal here in AR, but is on DoD facilities, so I've got a BlueAnt earpiece. Kinda wish AR had the law of only using hands-free devices as I can't think of how many times I've nearly been run off the road or at least smacked in to by folks who were on their phone.

Also, most cell phones these days also allow you to go to speaker mode, so there's another angle to consider. I've used that once or twice before so that I could do things hands-free. Problem sometimes come from the phone sliding off from what you've got it.

Something I learned a long time ago from a retired Arkansas State Police Trooper is if I feel myself starting to nod off, I turn the radio up all the way. If that doesn't work, I pull off to the side of the road and walk around the car for five or so minutes. Stretching the legs gets the blood flow circulating better, which speeds up your heart beat a bit and helps to wake you up. Rolling the window down is another good way to help keep you awake, particularly if it's chilly outside.

Again, sorry to hear about the ticket. Glad to hear the stop itself was smooth, tho.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    Well, sorry to hear you got a ticket, but glad to hear it went smoothly, all things considered. I take it that speaking on the cell w/o using hands-free is illegal in CT? It's not illegal here in AR, but is on DoD facilities, so I've got a BlueAnt earpiece. Kinda wish AR had the law of only using hands-free devices as I can't think of how many times I've nearly been run off the road or at least smacked in to by folks who were on their phone.

Also, most cell phones these days also allow you to go to speaker mode, so there's another angle to consider. I've used that once or twice before so that I could do things hands-free. Problem sometimes come from the phone sliding off from what you've got it.

Something I learned a long time ago from a retired Arkansas State Police Trooper is if I feel myself starting to nod off, I turn the radio up all the way. If that doesn't work, I pull off to the side of the road and walk around the car for five or so minutes. Stretching the legs gets the blood flow circulating better, which speeds up your heart beat a bit and helps to wake you up. Rolling the window down is another good way to help keep you awake, particularly if it's chilly outside.

Again, sorry to hear about the ticket. Glad to hear the stop itself was smooth, tho.
    yes no hands free is a no no in CT, even if it wasn't I prefer using my ear piece if I get a call while i'm driving, it IS very distracting to be holding one for me personally. I did use the speaker for a few minutes but the volume on this phone sucks.

+1 on the pulling over thing, when I stop and get some fresh air I wake up pretty fast...maybe I should have just done that, haha
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Yeah, not too bad of an encounter. We see so many threads on here where people are speeding or something else somewhat trivial. They get pulled over and are very polite and forthcoming with the LEO. Most of them just get away with a warning. I hope if and when I have an encounter it goes as well, but I try not to assume that my CCW status along with my respectfulness will prevent me from getting a ticket.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Sounds like it went just as it should. Sorry about the cite.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Yeah, not too bad of an encounter. We see so many threads on here where people are speeding or something else somewhat trivial. They get pulled over and are very polite and forthcoming with the LEO. Most of them just get away with a warning. I hope if and when I have an encounter it goes as well, but I try not to assume that my CCW status along with my respectfulness will prevent me from getting a ticket.
    Most definitely. I do not try to argue with the LEOs during stops especially when I know I am wrong. I even apologized for doing something unsafe. The stop itself was good

I have been pulled over maybe....3 or 4 times once for speeding and 2 or 3 times for minor things and each time got a warning but I am always respectful, after all they are only doing their job and I knew what I was doing was wrong (in the speeding and cellphone case, in the other cases it was an "oops!")
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

WA just went mandatory hands-free on 6/10.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I hope you and the guy who was talking on a cell and hit my daughter and coworker while in a crosswalk learned a lesson. Hang up and drive.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Glad things went good concerning the weapon.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    So I was driving home late at night talking on my blue tooth headset. well it ran out of batteries (i'm usually good at charging it all the time) and for the remainder of the ride I switched to the head and shoulder with hand support routine (I didn't want to drift off while driving so late at night so I was talking to my fiancee). Well Murphy's law kicked in and not 10 minutes after switching to hands on a trooper pulled upt o pass me on the left, as soon as he was besides me I said "Oh ****!"and dropped the phone...
    Please stay out of Naugatuck; there's enough cell phone scofflaws in my town already. I dislike people who drive and talk on the phone, hands-free or not - their attention is NOT on their driving. You deserved the ticket, IMHO.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I dislike people who drive and talk on the phone, hands-free or not - their attention is NOT on their driving. You deserved the ticket, IMHO.
    Guess you better stop talking to your passengers while you're driving, then.

Good stop, except for the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Please stay out of Naugatuck; there's enough cell phone scofflaws in my town already. I dislike people who drive and talk on the phone, hands-free or not - their attention is NOT on their driving.
    Wow you must drive in a VERY quiet car. LOL

"Honey are we there yet?"

"SHUSH!!! I'M DRIVING!!!!!"

I dislike people who dislike people who use headsets :p.

You deserved the ticket, IMHO
    At what point did I say I didn't? I admitted fault.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Glad all turned out well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links