Why does MN only accept a few out of state permits?

This is a discussion on Why does MN only accept a few out of state permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a question. Why would they accept a VA permit that requires only online training, and not accept a NC CHP that requires an on-site ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just a question. Why would they accept a VA permit that requires only online training, and not accept a NC CHP that requires an on-site 8-hour class and qualifying with a handgun?

Anyone with insights?

Permit Honored:
    Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wyoming
    Permit Not Honored:
    Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia

No idea why. It's a reciprocity agreement and NC does not recognize Minnesota's, so I don't know which side is holding it up.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Just a question. Why would they accept a VA permit that requires only online training, and not accept a NC CHP that requires an on-site 8-hour class and qualifying with a handgun?

Anyone with insights?
    The Minnesota web site does not state that it honors Virginia permits?

Permit to Carry List of States

This data is from Handgunlaw.us, and I know Gary has been on vacation for a while. I've been away--has Minnesota recently added states? If so, please forgive my ignorance.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

I checked last night on his site, and they accept only a handful of other states' resident permits - Virginia is one of them, but NC is not. VA has a pretty lax standard compared to NC, even though NC isn't that strict.

That was my question. Minnesota seems pretty miserly about accepting other state permits, and I was wondering if anyone had any idea why they were being so dickish about it.

Senior Moderator
    It usually has to do with the Attorney Generals of the particular state and their personal views about gun ownership.

Both AG's must agree and then an official letter is usually posted somewhere that makes it all happen.

Like anything else, some are quick to embrace reciprocal laws and others will drag their feet and kick and scream as long as they can to delay it because they don't want common citizens being armed.

This comes from someone that has been active in getting Reciprocal benefits recognized for the state of Arkansas, that is now up to 33 states that recognize our CHL, soon to be 36...if all goes according to plan.

Also keep in mind that some states are very slow about keeping their list updated.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks, HotGuns. That was the explanation I was looking for.

VIP Member
    I checked last night on his site, and they accept only a handful of other states' resident permits - Virginia is one of them, but NC is not.
    I'd be careful...while Virginia is shown on the map depiction, it is not listed as a state honored in the text below the map:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/minnesota.pdf

I'd contact Minnesota directly if I were a Virginia permit holder and I wanted to carry there, just to be absolutely certain.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Hmmmm.... John K's post says the state does honor Virginia.

Guess I had better go to the source.

Thanks for the info!

Anyone with insights?
    Don't know if I have any insights but here is what our state's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension posts on their website.

Minnesota law requires that states must have substantially similar standards in order to be granted permit to carry reciprocity. In determining which states currently meet that standard, the Department considered a number of components of the new law, including handgun training requirements, use of criminal background checks, mutual reciprocity issues, as well as prohibitions for criminal convictions and civil commitments. Another crucial consideration was other states’ ability to provide Minnesota law enforcement personnel with confirmation of permit validity 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

As to the on-line VA training vs. the NC classroom training, I would ask, Has the VA training always been on-line or is it fairly new? I would guess if it is two or three years old or less, MN hasn't caught it and made an adjustment if they feel it is necessary. If it might make you feel better, MN recognizes TX but TX does not recognize my MN permit. TX being my birth state and a place we travel to once a year or so. Thank goodness for the PA permit that TX recognizes.

One answer for you, politics. VA online training is fairly new (last 3 yrs I think), and the General Assembly has only recently allowed it to fulfill the training requirement.

Anyone with insights?
    A lot of states seem to have this issue of recognizing state A but not B even though the state's requirements are the same. There could be slight differences in disqualifiers, database info,exc. Or, the AG is just lazy or doesn't care.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Hmmmm.... John K's post says the state does honor Virginia.

Guess I had better go to the source.

Thanks for the info!
    Right - the link in Falcon1's post is the MN Dept of Public Safety, and it says no Virginia.

I got my info from Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

With the Attorney Generals being involved, you don't always have a carry-friendly person in there even if you have a friendly Governor. The MN AG's have been 'good Democrats.'
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Anyone with insights?
    Thank God for LEOSA cause my TX CCL wont work.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The issue is that our carry law states that the AG must review other state's CCW laws and issue reciprocity to any that are substantially similar.

The AG is a DFL politician, and somehow identifying states for reciprocity never makes it very high on her priority list.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links