This privilege carries with it a significant responsibility

This is a discussion on This privilege carries with it a significant responsibility within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This privilege carries with it a significant responsibility that you as a responsible law-abiding citizen, exercise sound judgment, restraint and safety in the use and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This privilege carries with it a significant responsibility

This privilege carries with it a significant responsibility

This privilege carries with it a significant responsibility that you as a responsible law-abiding citizen, exercise sound judgment, restraint and safety in the use and handling of firearms. Remember that the use of deadly force must always be a last resort."

The above was one of the paragraphs in the letter that came W/ my permit and I was wondering what people here thought about it.

I've read a lot of threads on this forum that (IMO) seem to ask "What's the legal minimun a bad guy can do before I get to unload on him?" and I find that attitude a little disconcerting.

So, I thought I'd throw this topic out for disscussion.

What say you?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    [B]This privilege
    In general I think the thoughts are reasonable EXCEPT for the first 2 words. Rights are not privileges. This shows the thought process of the government and this underlies the government exempting itself from allowing weapons to be carried on it's property. Jefferson is rolling over in his grave.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I would say deadly intent or serious bodily harm. Now there is a whole lot of definitions to what that means. This just opens a can of worms.

For me, I feel like I would just know. I have been shot at a few times, but never at home or out in public. I would have to go with my instinct.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I agree with "ks", it's a RIGHT. It's also preaching to the choir a little. Most legal gun owners ARE safe and DO practice restraint. It's the criminals who have no morals, scruples, or restraints in using their weapons to gain their ends that the public in general has to worry about. However, in the defense of my family, "deadly force" might be a little higher on the list than "last" resort.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    In general I think the thoughts are reasonable EXCEPT for the first 2 words. Rights are not privileges. This shows the thought process of the government and this underlies the government exempting itself from allowing weapons to be carried on it's property. Jefferson is rolling over in his grave.
    The Colorado Constitution specifically does not protect concealed carry. Hence the 2 words

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    However, in the defense of my family, "deadly force" might be a little higher on the list than "last" resort.
    I am going to exhaust every avenue open to me before employing deadly force.

Regardless how short the list may be deadly force needs to be the last thing on it.

It appears to be a decent attempt at conveying the seriousness of carrying and using a concealed firearm.

If it hasn't befor, unloading on a bad guy, loses its galmour once you have done it and becomes merely drudgery necessary under certain circumstances.

VIP Member
    The Colorado Constitution specifically does not protect concealed carry. Hence the 2 words
    While the CO constitution may not, the US constitution does. This, hopefully will become more clear this month with a ruling from SCOTUS, but it applies now as any plain reading of the 2A attests.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

While the CO constitution may not, the US constitution does. This, hopefully will become more clear this month with a ruling from SCOTUS, but it applies now as any plain reading of the 2A attests.
    I disagree, the US Constituion does not specifically protect concealed carry it protects the right to "bear arms" Exactly what constitue "bear" seems to be up for debate.

That said, I'm 100% in favor of permitless carry from sea to shinging sea.

VIP Member
    I disagree, the US Constituion does not specifically protect concealed carry it protects the right to "bear arms" Exactly what constitue "bear" seems to be up for debate.

That said, I'm 100% in favor of permitless carry from sea to shinging sea.
    OK, I see your point on "concealed carry." Does CO allow OC without a permit? If not then they are regulating a right and calling it a privilege.

In NC, OC is the right and CC is the privilege per our Constitution. So it does not bother me as much. But I do understand the argument and agree with it.

I told a person once that with carrying a gun, I carry the ability to end someones life for one stupid thing that they choose to do. That's pretty serious. I'm not sure that we can express the seriousness of carrying a firearm daily strongly enough, even if it is a right. I think it's a good thing to give folks pause to think about how serious this decision is.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I(f somebody tries to rob me and just the sight of me sighting on his COM stops the threat then I will not shoot(Former LEO)even tho I have no power to arrest I still must use prudent restraint,you break in my house and you are a threat unless you prone out with hands visible legs bent at knees with ankles crossedand wait for the cops to arrive and save your ass,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    In NC, OC is the right and CC is the privilege per our Constitution.
    ChiefJason - I hear what you are saying. I guess it is the same in Ohio legally. That having been said I have had more than one LEO friend tell me that if someone were to OC through downtown in a major city in Ohio (which is legal) that it would likely result in their being arrested for inducing a panic. If this is true - and I have no desire to test it - it does not say much for the ability to exercise the right. I would think that this would be a very strong constitutional argument in support of CC being part of the right. Of course the state can't tax the right, only the privilege.

OK, I see your point on "concealed carry." Does CO allow OC without a permit? If not then they are regulating a right and calling it a privilege.
    OC is legal everywhere except the SSRD

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    you break in my house and you are a threat unless you prone out with hands visible legs bent at knees with ankles crossedand wait for the cops to arrive and save your ass,
    Very well said. A local sheriff said, after a string of home break-ins, that, in his county, if someone breaks into your house, you may assume they are there to harm you, not to just rob you, and you may act accordingly. Actually shooting is, of ccourse, a last resort, but you can bet I'll be assuming the worst, and will have 4.5 pounds of pressure on a 5 pound trigger.

"...move a muscle, twitch a finger...
    ...and I'll splatter your guts
    all over the wall.
    When I say move...
    ...you move real slow...
    ...like 'lasses in wintertime."
    Josey Wales

The penalty for shooting too quickly is severe, to be sure, but the penalty for hesitating is much worse.

It's not a privilege granted by the government, it's a right granted by our Creator.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links