Wanted to say thanks and share a thought.

This is a discussion on Wanted to say thanks and share a thought. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to take a moment to thank you all here for sharing the concerns and issues you come across for those of us that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted to say thanks and share a thought.

Wanted to say thanks and share a thought.

I wanted to take a moment to thank you all here for sharing the concerns and issues you come across for those of us that are new to carrying. Thanks to some of what I have read here, I was prepared for a couple of situations that could have been problems. (the "neon sign" feeling among them)

I had something happen that I thought I would share so maybe someone else can "prethink" it lest it happen to them.

I was playing with my 4 year old nephew the other day and helping him sort toys in a closet. He was sitting on the floor and I was standing beside him bent over. When he went to stand up, he reached out and put a hand on my hip. Feeling something "grip-able" on my hip (my handgun) he grabbed onto it and pulled himself up off the floor that way. As he stood up, I thought "glad this is the one with the safety!". I didn't think that reacting where he could see me would have any useful outcome, so I didn't. I did, however, apply some thought to it.

It seems to me that there really isn't any terrible hazard to it as long as the holster covers the trigger guard, but for my comfort, I will most likely carry a pistol with a manual safety if I am going to be around the boys.

Thanks again!
    Ruffinit
    It is the aberration of statistics that you have to watch out for.

Remember: it isn't the SECOND person something happens to that is surprised by it.

2. Remove Ads

Another option is a DA/SA pistol that allows you to chamber a round and pull off the first round double action where the trigger is stiff like a revolver and then the next rounds are single action. There are several of them out there.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

My daughters know not to grab for it. Unfortunately they have not figured out how to not bang their head on it occasionally. Especially if we are goofing off. A good holster with the trigger well covered should be all you need.

Someone else's kid, I might not make a big deal out of an honest mistake. My kids, I talk to them and tell them not to touch it unless they have my permission and I let them. Holstered or not.

A situation I had last Sunday. My daughter was sitting on my right side at Church. She got cold and wanted to get close to me to warm up. She spent an hour trying to keep from leaning on my pistol. I could not really say, "Is the gun bothering you?" in church. Note to self, put her on the left side next time. OOPPS.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

That's your choice...but a holster covering the trigger is going to do more than a manual safety to prevent an ND, IMO.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Use a holster with a retension strap. It has every thing covered.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the trigger is covered int he holster so safety or not its not going anywhere...its not uncommon for my 10 year old daughter to hang onto me at the store or waiting inline somewhere and she regularly comes in contact with my gun...she knows not to mention it and i control how much contact there is just as you should be conscious of it yourself...it takes a concerted effort to remove a gun from the holster from in front of you so i wouldnt be worried about that...

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I think that some of us on here worry about being "made" more than we should. The grip of the gun is not dangerous; I wouldn't have worried about it when it happened.

Heck, we are doing VBS this week at church and last night one of the kids who attended came up and gave me a big hug strong-side. (I'm the pastor...I get a lot of hugs) He was snuggled up right next to my EDC (Kimber Pro CDP II) and nothing was amiss. It was probably not the most warm and soft hug the kid ever had, but hey whatever. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Most guns will not let you engage the safety unless the hammer is cocked. I'd go with a DA/SA gun and continue carrying hammer down firing in the DA mode for your first shot.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbmccord View Post
    Another option is a DA/SA pistol that allows you to chamber a round and pull off the first round double action where the trigger is stiff like a revolver and then the next rounds are single action. There are several of them out there.
    I am looking at the Sig 232. It took me a while to figure out how it worked, but it turns out it works as you described in you post. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Use a holster with a retension strap. It has every thing covered.
    Semper Fi
    Teach the child that's a NO TOUCH - THAT has everything covered. If the child doesn't touch it, the point of what type of safety/holster is moot. Now, I DO firmly believe in safeties, secure holsters, covered trigger guards, etc. However, if a child is allowed to touch, they might touch in your absence and they are perfectly capable of getting around holsters and safeties. "I always put my gun up" you say? Children are regular cat burglars when it comes to getting into places. NOTHING is secure from a child. However, if it's in their mind, "If I dood it, I get a whuppin'." Then they're much less likely to "dood" it.

Administrator
    In this instance I would not make a "teachable moment" out of the incident.

Why? I'll tell you why.

With your firearm properly holstered in a good quality holster the kid was never in any sort of danger by pulling himself up by your gun grip or your holster.
    That is the actual reality minus all emotion due to the fact that a child was involved.

Since you are the Uncle and not a parent - no good can be accomplished by opening up a can of worms over a situation where no harm was done and your properly holstered firearm could not possibly have discharged.
    Regardless of if your firearm had an external safety or none.
    Not worth getting the kids parents upset over something that couldn't have happened and didn't.

Any time anyone touches a gun, there is danger involved for someone. To think there are times a gun isn't dangerous is dangerous in itself and that's how people are "accidentally" shot. The people involved and the safeties employed may mitigate the danger level, but it is always there. That's why, when a gun store salesperson clears a weapon from the display case and hands it to me, I clear it again. That's why, when I clean a gun, I clear it, then clear it again.

As we all know, the first rule of safe gun handling:
    All guns are always loaded.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    In this instance I would not make a "teachable moment" out of the incident.

Why? I'll tell you why.

With your firearm properly holstered in a good quality holster the kid was never in any sort of danger by pulling himself up by your gun grip or your holster.
    That is the actual reality minus all emotion due to the fact that a child was involved.

Since you are the Uncle and not a parent - no good can be accomplished by opening up a can of worms over a situation where no harm was done and your properly holstered firearm could not possibly have discharged.
    Regardless of if your firearm had an external safety or none.
    Not worth getting the kids parents upset over something that couldn't have happened and didn't.
    Teachable moment! I like that and it s very true.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Administrator
    So you are saying that merely touching the butt of a properly holstered firearm is in itself a dangerous act?

Well, I guess that it would be about as equally and potentially dangerous as touching the handle of a razor sharp knife while that knife was housed and protected in a good quality sheath.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Any time anyone touches a gun, there is danger involved for someone. To think there are times a gun isn't dangerous is dangerous in itself and that's how people are "accidentally" shot. The people involved and the safeties employed may mitigate the danger level, but it is always there. That's why, when a gun store salesperson clears a weapon from the display case and hands it to me, I clear it again. That's why, when I clean a gun, I clear it, then clear it again.

As we all know, the first rule of safe gun handling:
    All guns are always loaded.

If you take proper precautions with your holster choice, it shouldn't be anything to make a big deal about. Since I have small kids, I like my OWB holsters to have a retention strap...more for the coverage than the actual retention.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links