About flicking a 1911ís safety off once the gun is holstered - Page 2

About flicking a 1911ís safety off once the gun is holstered

This is a discussion on About flicking a 1911ís safety off once the gun is holstered within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wouldn't carry that way. So, somebody's afraid that they'll forget to disengage their safety, when they present their pistol... sounds like a lack of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About flicking a 1911ís safety off once the gun is holstered

I wouldn't carry that way.

So, somebody's afraid that they'll forget to disengage their safety, when they present their pistol... sounds like a lack of training to me. If they're that worried about it, why carry a 1911 at all?

If they had proper training, it would all be automatic, without a second thought. They need to focus more on proper, professional training, instead of cutting corners that are there for a reason.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

This is why we practice, practice, practice. If you own a 1911 this should be....Whats the word im looking for, I got it, PRACTICED.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

GM [OP]
    Please correct me if I am wrong; but should not carrying in that way (safety off once holstered) be the same that carrying a 1910 with hammer back? Was it not the carry method at that time or did they carry with hammer down? I am not defending that carry method, I am just curious.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If I had a 1911, I'd make it a habit of disengaging the safety when drawing. It's not that difficult to learn or do.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

It's all in the training. I recall (never forget) a dash-cam video of a LEO stopping a nut case in a pickup for a traffic violation. When it hit the fan he emptied his mag but kept trying to shoot rather than switch it out and it cost him his life. I don't know, but I'm guessing he didn't train mag swaps very much.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong; but should not carrying in that way (safety off once holstered) be the same that carrying a 1910 with hammer back? Was it not the carry method at that time or did they carry with hammer down? I am not defending that carry method, I am just curious.
    That's getting a little thin...the M1910 when referring to the predecessor to the 1911...IIRC less than 20 were ever made.

If we're talking about the FN 1910, or the Colt 1903/1908 pistols, that's a different ball park all together.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    It's all in the training. I recall (never forget) a dash-cam video of a LEO stopping a nut case in a pickup for a traffic violation. When it hit the fan he emptied his mag but kept trying to shoot rather than switch it out and it cost him his life. I don't know, but I'm guessing he didn't train mag swaps very much.
    that may be because under stress sometimes things change...everyone wants to believe that theyll be a ninja when the time comes and it will all work itself out just like at the range...but sometimes it doesnt happen that way...when the time comes sometimes even the best plans go right out the window...

cmb
    Safety on (cocked and locked) is how I carry, only way I will, if you adhere to the high hand grasp then getting the web of your hand right under the grip safety and coming down on the thumb safety as the gun is brought to aim and the intent to fire is necessary the thumb can ride the grip safety throughout firing!

Practice, a lot!

I dont see this a matter of one way being better than the other.

Rather, I see this as personal preference and as such, the key word is practicing.

I carry my 1911 with safety on and have trained myself to flick the safety off when the weapon is bring brought up. I do it over and over, the same way every time.

What works for me may not work for others. No real right answer here other than doing what's best for you as the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    What if I carry a Glock too...lol I guess in a stressfull situation it wouldn't hurt to swipe my thumb against the side of the slide even if nothing is there :p

This is the very reason I am so torn on my choice for a smaller carry gun. I'm thinking of going to SA...but if I do so, then I believe I should sell my S&W M&P and make my house gun also SA.

Too much $$ right now and I'm still on the fence about DA, DAO, or SA.

(But recently shot an older 1911 and it was sweet and had a great trigger...not light at all like I imagined, but great pull).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

You wanta carry a gun round chambered and relying on a grip safety then buy an XD
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That's getting a little thin...the M1910 when referring to the predecessor to the 1911...IIRC less than 20 were ever made.

If we're talking about the FN 1910, or the Colt 1903/1908 pistols, that's a different ball park all together.
    I was referring to the M1910. I am aware of that the M1910 was the predecessor of the 1911 and why the 1911, but I did not know that less than 20 1910’s were made.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just learn to do it right; reinventing the wheel is not going to make transportation any better.
    Agreed! ^^

People who 'forget' to deactivate the safety, on any gun, are the people who do not train hardly at all with that gun.
    Be it a handgun or longgun.

Training begets proficiency begets conditional action memory (aka 'muscle memory').

For example I don't have to think to buckle my seatbelt once entering any car. I just do it without primary/ctive thought.
    Why? Because my brained has been conditioned to act in such a way to 'remember' to do per training as in doing.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I am not sure how I feel about grip safeties...what if in an emergency you can't get a hood grip on your gun the first shot for w/e reason?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    When I carried a 1911 I kept the thumb safety engaged. It was put there for a reason, and that reason wasn't decoration.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links