About flicking a 1911’s safety off once the gun is holstered

This is a discussion on About flicking a 1911’s safety off once the gun is holstered within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1911s were designed to be safely carried cocked and locked. KEEP IT THAT WAY. Just my opinion. I am not sure how I feel about ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About flicking a 1911’s safety off once the gun is holstered

1911s were designed to be safely carried cocked and locked. KEEP IT THAT WAY. Just my opinion.

I am not sure how I feel about grip safeties...what if in an emergency you can't get a hood grip on your gun the first shot for w/e reason?
    I dont suggest it, but if someone wants to get rid of it. Pin it.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

2. Remove Ads

Steve +1... A lot of stuff "personal opinion" is not really an opinion. There is a way the pistol was "designed to be work" (we can go with the 1911 as being designed correctly at this point, being used that way for almost 100 years) and all this other stuff as a work-around to go against the design as being a good way to get yourself in trouble.

Train to do it the correct way, proper muscle memory and you won't even think about the manual safety. Do you think about T-H-E when you type 'the'...?
    If you worry about manual safeties, then get a Glock with 3 internal safeties.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think some people just like to dream up things to worry about.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

VIP Member
    Bad idea.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    I think some people just like to dream up things to worry about.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I don't own a 1911 but I do that a thumb safety on my M&P. I never brought the safety because I was afraid of the round just going off or me shooting myself in the foot. I brought my safety for if someone gets a hold of my gun and try to use it on me. That safety may give me that extra sec or two that is needed to get to my BUG or have another fighting chance at getting my gun back. With that being said, I would never disable my safety just because its holstered.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

terrible idea. i have said this before and i will say it again. there is no 'remembering' to turn off a 1911 safety if you hold it correctly.
    if i pick up my 1911 with the correct grip and dont turn my safety off, my hand is going aaaaarg its wrong! my thumb rides on top of the safety on any 1911. I grab the gun with my thumb on top of the safety and when my hand has reached any kind of grip on the gun, the safety has been disengaged. it doesnt take one extra nanosec to dissangage a 1911s safety
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I am not sure how I feel about grip safeties...what if in an emergency you can't get a hood grip on your gun the first shot for w/e reason?
    it REALLY doesnt take much to depress them (at least it shouldnt).
    only way i could thing to get a 'bad grip' on a 1911 and not have the grip safety depressed is if was laying on the floor and i tried to pull the trigger without touching the rest of the gun... yea, i couldnt even do that though. really, other than the trigger getting snagged my something else (which is why the grip safety exists), I cant see you having any kind of grip and all and not depressing the grip safety.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Other forum member wrote in other thread that some 1911 carriers holster the gun with the safety engaged and then flick the safety off once holstered in order to do not have to worry about missing the safety in a real even with real stress, and then the only thing they have to worry about is the safety being inadvertently engaged. The grip safety and booger hook off the bang switch become then the only safeties. Do any of you carry in that way? Opinions?
    If one is unwilling or unable to master the manual-of-arms for a particular firearm, then one should not carry that particular firearm, IMHO.

The only way anyone with a 1911 is going to "miss the safety" is if they have not trained with the pistol.

If these folks are this convinced that they might "miss the safety" at need, they should consider carrying a double action pistol or striker fired pistol and eliminate the safety "issue" altogether.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know there were DAO variants. But as you say, are they really 1911s then?
    No they only look like a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I used to do that, but noticed that I had left the safety on a couple times. So I decided it made much more sense to leave the safety off all the time, and leave the first shot to DA. Less margin of error, at least for me.
    A 1911 is not double action. Para does make a DA 1911 style pistol.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

I don't go people hunting with my 1911 but I do have a LOT of experience dove, quail, duck, goose, etc. that requires a habitual action of taking the safety off with each set of shots. The safety is off and I'm shooting in less than a half of a second when it's time and I remember thinking to myself before, "I don't remember taking the safety off." Personally, my safety is engaged until I am ready to pull the trigger. I'm sure the people around me appreciate it as well.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Well if you are going for ANY gun that action in and of itself is an emergency.
    There would be no non-emergency reason to grasp and draw your gun and have need to do so in such a manner that the grip AND frame safetys are deactivated.

But again that too comes down to handler/user/operator familiarity ans by way of hands on training.

Training both at the range and under competition hard use (IDPA/IPSC/USPSA)...and/or dry fire practice at home drawing from concealment an EMPTY gun with hammer falling on to nothingness or a snap cap/dummy round as I regularly use.

This applys though to any gun be it a SA revolver (forgot to cock the hammer!) and even to people who forget to pull the trigger or even to load the gun to start including those foolish enough to carry in anything other than as chamber loaded.

Train train, practice, train.
    Preparation and practice beats most OMG what if?! type operator error problems.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Practice Practice Practice......

I hit the safety in the middle of the drawstroke, after it clears leather and before I have sights aligned on target. My thumb stays on the safety (thumbs forward) until I'm done shooting.

Manually disengaging the safety is a positive do/don't do action. Leaving it off while in the holster and hoping it stays that way coming out, past your clothing etc. is a passive action, and not 100% in your control.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links