About flicking a 1911ís safety off once the gun is holstered

About flicking a 1911ís safety off once the gun is holstered

This is a discussion on About flicking a 1911ís safety off once the gun is holstered within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Other forum member wrote in other thread that some 1911 carriers holster the gun with the safety engaged and then flick the safety off once ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: About flicking a 1911ís safety off once the gun is holstered

GM [OP]

Exclamation About flicking a 1911ís safety off once the gun is holstered

Other forum member wrote in other thread that some 1911 carriers holster the gun with the safety engaged and then flick the safety off once holstered in order to do not have to worry about missing the safety in a real even with real stress, and then the only thing they have to worry about is the safety being inadvertently engaged. The grip safety and booger hook off the bang switch become then the only safeties. Do any of you carry in that way? Opinions?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

in my opinion i think that training yourself to disengage safety is more relieable than to have to rely on a hoslter that may or may not disengage the safety when the firearm is draw from the holster.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Other forum member wrote in other thread that some 1911 carriers holster the gun with the safety engaged and then flick the safety off once holstered in order to do not have to worry about missing the safety in a real even with real stress, and then the only thing they have to worry about is the safety being inadvertently engaged. The grip safety and booger hook off the bang switch become then the only safeties. Do any of you carry in that way? Opinions?
    That's all well and good until you ACTIVATE the safety under stress....ummm wait, that would NOT make it all well and good. I think I'll pass.

AzB
    I used to do that, but noticed that I had left the safety on a couple times. So I decided it made much more sense to leave the safety off all the time, and leave the first shot to DA. Less margin of error, at least for me.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

No! I train to draw and disengage the safety. Muscle memory should do the trick in a defensive situation where you have to pull your firearm. A disengaged safety is just a little to unsafe for me.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by HavegunJoe

No! I train to draw and disengage the safety. Muscle memory should do the trick in a defensive situation where you have to pull your firearm. A disengaged safety is just a little to unsafe for me.
    What if I carry a Glock too...lol I guess in a stressfull situation it wouldn't hurt to swipe my thumb against the side of the slide even if nothing is there :p
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I've never heard of this practice and don't know anybody who would recommend it.

I don't worry about carrying a Glock in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard. The amount of movement required to pull the trigger is so gross that it's highly implausible that it could be pulled IN THE HOLSTER.

Significantly less movement is required of an M1911 or BHP trigger in order to fire. I use the safeties on my M1911 and BHP.

A very subsidiary consideration is that if you lose your gun in a struggle, your assailant might be unfamiliar with the M1911 and not know how to make it ready to fire.

LMC
    I have a low mount safety on my 1911 so I always have my thumb riding on it. I train to flick it off when I draw.

I'm not a 1911 guy, so forgive the ignorance ...

Do all 1911 variants have a grip safety?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I used to do that, but noticed that I had left the safety on a couple times. So I decided it made much more sense to leave the safety off all the time, and leave the first shot to DA. Less margin of error, at least for me.
    How do you do DA on a 1911? I thought they were all SAO.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I'm not a 1911 guy, so forgive the ignorance ...

Do all 1911 variants have a grip safety?
    Yes, unless it's been deactivated

How do you do DA on a 1911? I thought they were all SAO.
    They are either all SAO or DAO (IF you included the Para LDA as being a 1911)

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    They are either all SAO or DAO (IF you included the Para LDA as being a 1911)
    Interesting. I didn't know there were DAO variants. But as you say, are they really 1911s then?

Thanks for the education; that's my "I learned something new today" for today.

That's great,until the safety gets bumped on and you draw expecting the safety to be off and no matter how hard you pull the trigger the gun won't fire,then you feel the impact of the bullets that kill you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

JD
    Administrator
    Interesting. I didn't know there were DAO variants. But as you say, are they really 1911s then?

Thanks for the education; that's my "I learned something new today" for today.
    In my opinion, no. The DAO variants are not 1911s. Para and Colt both make them and as the trigger mechanism is totally different than a real 1911 I do not consider them to be genuine 1911s.

Administrator
    Just learn to do it right; reinventing the wheel is not going to make transportation any better.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links