Update on the Mass LTC

This is a discussion on Update on the Mass LTC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I just wanted to updated you guys/gals on the Mass process. I went doen to Chealsa this morning with my wife to be. We ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on the Mass LTC

Update on the Mass LTC

Well

I just wanted to updated you guys/gals on the Mass process. I went doen to Chealsa this morning with my wife to be. We both has our interviews. Really all they did was go over our answers to the applacation. Then they took our pictures and our fingerprints. He said that we would get them in the mail in four to six weeks. Quick and painless. I also asked if they were good in Boston, he said yes and that its not like NYC. So all and all a good time. The only bad thing is we have to make the trek down there every year. I jokes and said to the wife to be that we can see the guy off to retirement, but a good day. Now just have to wait

2. Remove Ads

Good deal.

yeah...MA has to get off the "temporary 1 year" permit. That just doesnt make much sense for $100....

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Good deal.

yeah...MA has to get off the "temporary 1 year" permit. That just doesnt make much sense for $100....
    It's all about "legally robbing' you in order to pay for all their programs they have.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Good deal.

It makes sense from an economic stand point. The state has determined the value of the permit and apparently people are willing to pay a Ben Franklin every 12 months.
    Entertech AK Centerfire

Daisy Red Ryder

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    So Spike,

What did you use for justification for obtaining the permit? I have been looking to do this but the last time I looked at the application you needed something like a protective order, carry large amounts of cash, etc.

Have things changed?

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    So Spike,

What did you use for justification for obtaining the permit? I have been looking to do this but the last time I looked at the application you needed something like a protective order, carry large amounts of cash, etc.

Have things changed?

Mike
    From one who lived in that state for many yrs and then moved north to NH about 20 yrs ago.... the proper response to the application would be " ALL LAWFULL PURPOSES" this is what the Ma State Police are looking for on the application. Even on the Resident ap they all put that phrase as a reason. It was once either "Target and Hunting or Protection of Life" until it was changed Hope this helps you out A NH non res permit is 100.00 for 4 yrs (it was once only 20.00 for 4 yrs but Mass made em wake up)
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    From one who lived in that state for many yrs and then moved north to NH about 20 yrs ago.... the proper response to the application would be " ALL LAWFULL PURPOSES" this is what the Ma State Police are looking for on the application. Even on the Resident ap they all put that phrase as a reason. It was once either "Target and Hunting or Protection of Life" until it was changed Hope this helps you out A NH non res permit is 100.00 for 4 yrs (it was once only 20.00 for 4 yrs but Mass made em wake up)

But...they give you 5 lines (click me) to write that on???

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Class3,

I do have the NH non-res permit, as does the wife. My in-laws live outside of Concord so we travel up that way quite often, and it would be nice to be able to travel through Mass without having to follow the so-called 'peacable journey' rules.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Thank you for sharing, I just put in my application for a LTC Class A. I will keep you posted on that fun. How long did it take before the called to set up the interview?
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Maine glock,

It took about 4 weeks before we got the call for the interview. Just to let you know parking down there is a horror show. Best to park in the maket basket parking lot and walk to the building.

CT-Mike

On the application I wrote, for personal protection of myself and family. As well as any other lawful purpose. I also stated that we travel alot in the state and It is at night. Thats it. I also ask the guy if the permit was good in Boston. He said yes, followed by "this is not New York"

jon
    But...they give you 5 lines (click me) to write that on???
    This is usually sufficient for non-Resident apps, though not for residents.
    My police chief told me that "For All Lawful Purposes" was not a "reason" good enough to be issued an unrestricted license.
    Only after demonstrating "need" was it issued.

***"NEED" is determined individually by Police Chiefs in each town/city in MA.
    It is actually easier to obtain a non-res than for some residents to obtain a LTC. The State Police I hear are more level-headed than say...Boston's chief....

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Well, MA SP was more reasonable, but the baton got passed to CHSB which seems to be under a "different set of marching orders" to restrict permits when possible.

Second hand info has it that NRs are being requested now for "specifics" to justify the request for an unrestricted permit. If your specifics don't meet their requirements for justification (which are unknown to all of us), they will issue a restricted permit which merely allows possession in a locked container, unloaded, with ammo separate. Restricted permits would only allow you to legally bring guns into MA to "go shooting" and nothing else. Certainly not worth $100/yr and a trip to Chelsea.

A number of threads by people who have applied for a NR LTC can be found in the MA gun laws sub-forum at Northeastshooters.com. These changes only occurred a year ago, so we're still learning from folks experiences on what's being done and what's being issued.

I sent in my application certified mail return recipt requested.

9 June 2010 Application was recieved
    23 June 2010 Date stamped on Green return recipt card said MA State Police recieved my app
    7 July 2010 Recivied a phone message that they wanted to set up my interview

My wife and I are expecting our first baby girl 7 Aug 2010, and frankly, I was expecting a call around or after that date. I was really suprised! Needless to say, I will be doing my interview after she is born. The wife and I may go visit friends there during her maturnity leave, do the interview at that time and kill two birds with one stone. (Please excuse the pun!)
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links