travel every week

travel every week

This is a discussion on travel every week within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i travel alot every week mostly on interstates in every state east of the miss. river. which states differ from nc on carrying concealed and ...

Question travel every week

i travel alot every week mostly on interstates in every state east of the miss. river. which states differ from nc on carrying concealed and which ones if any i might have trouble in. theres know way i can remember the laws for every little place i go ,big cities and small towns. thanks for any help.

handgunlaw.us Check this website out

If I were you, I'd study this site: Handgunlaw.us
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Hi and welcome to the forum. You can Google "Reciprocity Map" and find out which permits are good for where and if they have reciprocity with other states. If you wanted to get more defined, you will probably need to get some information from local law enforcement agencies that you are planning on traveling through. You have to be careful about some places and the recency of postings about the subject on the internet as they may be outdated. It can get confusing I think and I'm affraid it's not all black and white. Good Luck!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

As stated above, use handgunlaw.us but take it a step further. Don't just rely on it being up to date. Use their info to find the states own web site and verify. Do this EVERY trip or you run the good chance of getting caught with "old" info and possibly loosing your permit to carry.

You have to be willing to invest the time to carry legally.

In addition to handgunlaw.us; here's a site where you can plan your trip and it guides you through the gun laws, and routes you and such. You click on the states you're planning on traveling to and it provides a complete list of those "planned" states and your concealed carry status. One pager. Pretty neat!

Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

handgunlaw.us is gives statewide laws but there may be town specific laws within each state. for example within NC, open carry is illegal in Durham, and any type of carry is illegal in Cary...
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    handgunlaw.us is gives statewide laws but there may be town specific laws within each state. for example within NC, open carry is illegal in Durham, and any type of carry is illegal in Cary...
    That Cary law has never been upheld. The city tried, but they cannot preempt state law.

From the town website:

The Town of Cary does not allow the open or concealed carry of a weapon while on any public property within our community including on greenways, in public parks or Town facilities, or in Town-owned parking lots. The ordinance does not allow the open carry of any firearm on public sidewalks or right-of-ways. See Section 22-51(a) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances.

---snip----

So they are trying to say your cannot OC anywhere in town, but you can CC as long as it's not on town property. It's a strange distinction.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My suggestion is to make a list of each state and its firearms laws that may affect what you are most likely to encounter, IE: can you carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, can you carry in an interstate reststop (GA no), is that state a "must notify" or not, and such. Handgunlaw.us is a good place to start, but I'd go with each state's website on the subject as final authority. It will take a bit of research but may worth it. I think you'll find most states are fairly similar.

On index cards:
    FL: Reciprocy - Yes (No)
    OC - No; CC- Yes Must retreat - No
    CC in Restaurants - Yes (but not in/at bars/taverns)

Et cetera for those carrying situations you are most likely to encounter.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Here's a thorough one... Concealed Carry Info, Maps, Firearm Forums & Community for Permit Holders ...see the two maps in the upper left corner of the site.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 16th, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

sorry for the late reply been working late in cincinnati ohio. thanks for the websites and information.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    If I were you, I'd study this site: Handgunlaw.us
    +1

And stay out of NY... is a dangerous waste of time. You can't even get within 100 feet of the state line with a handgun, you will be banished! (This is an exaggeration, but they are strict. And you cannot even posess, in vehicle regardless of condition, unless you are only passing through with no stops, or are going to a sanctioned shooting sports event.)
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

You should print out the pages from the handgunlaw site and make a little book for your car. It's pretty handy.

Links