Camping with a gun in Massachusetts

This is a discussion on Camping with a gun in Massachusetts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Michigan, and plan on camping in the Boston area. I know Mass. does not have reciprocity with Michigan. Question: Can I keep ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping with a gun in Massachusetts

I live in Michigan, and plan on camping in the Boston area. I know Mass. does not have reciprocity with Michigan. Question: Can I keep a gun in my pop-up camper in a small gun safe. Or do I need to unload and store seperate

It's my understanding that your camper would be considered your home during the time you are camping. I can see no reason why you would have trouble.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

I'd review MA laws before I do anything else. Checkout handgunlaw.us
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Yamikaze View Post
    I live in Michigan, and plan on camping in the Boston area. I know Mass. does not have reciprocity with Michigan. Question: Can I keep a gun in my pop-up camper in a small gun safe. Or do I need to unload and store seperate
    What are you going to do when you're not at your camper? Where will the gun be stored? Ma is VERY tough on gun laws....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License

You can not carry a loaded firearm of any type inside any vehicle in Massachusetts without a class A permit
    issued by the state of Massachusetts.

Above is from Hangunlaw

Section 131G.

Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section

Mass State Law above.

Mass is notoriously harsh on guns. Becareful and do some serious research. Call their State PD to get clarification if necessary.

If I were you, I would call the MA state police! I live in Maine and have heard WAY too many horror stories of innocent folks being cuffed and questioned just for having firearms in MA! I have just applied for my MA LTC Class A, which allows me to have a firearm with high cap magazines. ANYTHING above 10 rounds is considered high cap. So, to be on the safe side call and ask! I have talked to some folks in MA and they have always been friendly and great at answering all my questions. Their number is 617-660-4782 (this division is called the "Firearms Record Bureau").
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

I am going to call over to MA. and see what they have to say. As far as what I am going to do when not in the camper, I was going to bring my small gun safe and lock it in a storage area.

Just talked to Jodi at the Firearms Bureau. NO... . You have to have a permit to have a firearm in Ma. period. The only way is if you are passing through. IF you are staying you have to have a permit.

I have checked it out and you can't even have a empty shell casing. If you get caught in MA with anything that has to do with hand guns. You will get arrested. I know people that have tried it and did not win. I just don't want any one to have trouble with that state.

After this post, I decided I'm never going to visit MA.

Such a shame...Boston being as historic and famous as it is, might have been a neat place to see.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Quote Originally Posted by Yamikaze View Post
    Just talked to Jodi at the Firearms Bureau. NO... . You have to have a permit to have a firearm in MA. period. The only way is if you are passing through. IF you are staying you have to have a permit.
    Bingo! ^^

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XX. PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER

CHAPTER 140. LICENSES

SALE OF FIREARMS
    Chapter 140: Section 131. Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions

Section 131. All licenses to carry firearms shall be designated Class A or Class B, and the issuance and possession of any such license shall be subject to the following conditions and restrictions:

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: [b](i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes[b]; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it deems proper. A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

Source - M.G.L - Chapter 140, Section 131
    There is no ifs, ands nor buts about this.
    BTW chemical sprays fall under same by control here. You will need a MA non-resident 'License To Carry' for that too.
    Further Boston city proper (not the suburbs) as well as Worcester (Central MA) have blade length limit regulations of 2" toward knives kept on ones person. A post 9/11 reaction.

Do NOT come to MA and not know a darn thing, and it would be quite foolish to assume anything about here is in anyway same similar to your own home state.

For more info reference the plain English read of the Mass General Laws, or contact GOAL; Gun Owners' Action League - GOAL.org - "Protecting Your Freedom Begins Here"

- Janq

P.S. - Bring your own ammo too, after having received a Non-Resident LTC.
    Why? Because in MA it is _unlawful_ to sell/purchase ammo to a non-resident!
    Yep so come here even with an N-R LTC and don't have ammo...You are sunk. No shop nowhere here will sell you ammo at all. Seriously.
    Ask me how I know this. : |
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

In MA you do have one right left. You get to have the right to remain silent.

You used to be able to get the MA LTC by mail I believe, but either the training requirement must be in state or you have to apply/pick up the license in MA. Is that still the case?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

If your not from MA I would just avoid it. Go camping in Vermont or NH. If you have small kids take them to Storyland, Santa's village and sixgun city. All in NH.

press1280. you do have to go and they talk to you as part of the application process. I think it is for non res. yes NH has alot of stuff to see. I agree NH and VT are very nice. Plenty of camping in both states.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links