Wa State storage of carry pistol in vehicle at work

This is a discussion on Wa State storage of carry pistol in vehicle at work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have been trying to figure this out and have had no success. My employer will not allow me to carry inside of the ...

So I have been trying to figure this out and have had no success.

My employer will not allow me to carry inside of the office. Its a small employer within a multi use estsblishment with a garage underneath. I drive to work every day.

My question is there any protection in wa that says i can leave the pistol locked in my car on property grounds and not get fired for it.

Frankly I dont think they have property grounds considered the garage is public even though we have parking areas assigned to us.

Anyone with any WA state experience.

If it is a public garage where I could park, then I would have to obey the following Washington State law -

RCW 9.41.050 Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    So I have been trying to figure this out and have had no success.

My employer will not allow me to carry inside of the office. Its a small employer within a multi use estsblishment with a garage underneath. I drive to work every day.

My question is there any protection in wa that says i can leave the pistol locked in my car on property grounds and not get fired for it.

Frankly I dont think they have property grounds considered the garage is public even though we have parking areas assigned to us.

Anyone with any WA state experience.
    Current discussion going on here:

what do you do if you cant carry at work? - Washington - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Rules vs Laws. There is no law stopping you from carrying while working there, unless it is federal, a courthouse, a school, etc. (RCW 9.41.300). The rules/policy at your work will allow your employer to fire you if they find out.

Concealed means concealed!

I heard of a big employer in WA state that fired an employee who kept a pistol in his locked automobile in the company parking lot. Went through a labor union process and the firing was upheld.

My two cents

I carry every day to and from work here in WA. My employer also has a policy on not carrying at work. My personal decision was the carry to and from work and leave the weapon locked in the car during work hours. I'm definitely open for any discussion for or against this but so far its worked for me. I park on the edge of our companies lot and have a clip on holster so I can remove my weapon without exiting my pickup. I keep a close eye on the mirrors when I am taking my weapon off or on so nobody can sneak up alongside me. Anyway, my two cents and some food for thought

I think thats the way I am going to have to do it.

Frankly the walk back from work is not exactly awesome safe and having my carry with me would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    I think thats the way I am going to have to do it.

Frankly the walk back from work is not exactly awesome safe and having my carry with me would be nice.

I hear this!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Links