IWB 3 o'clock carry.

IWB 3 o'clock carry.

This is a discussion on IWB 3 o'clock carry. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unless I'm going to IWB "appendix' carry a smaller pistol, like the Glock 27, the only other location I'm comfortable with for IWB is 3 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Thumbs up IWB 3 o'clock carry.

Unless I'm going to IWB "appendix' carry a smaller pistol, like the Glock 27, the only other location I'm comfortable with for IWB is 3 o'clock. If I carry any further back the grip will print when I lean over.

In the picture I'm carrying a Glock 30 IWB at 3 o'clock. Typically, I would wear a looser shirt like a plaid button up, not the solid polo style I've got on. I wore the solid polo because it readily prints the pistol grip, revealing any shortcomings in the carry package. If I lean over, as if getting a drink from a fountain, my rear pocket flaps print, the pistol doesn't.

The holster is a "modified" Blade-Tech Ultimate that I cut the sweat guard off and put adhesive sealant on the moving part. It's made to be tuckable, but I don't require that feature. With the holster adjusted to the cant I want, I tighten down the screws tight as they will go then apply the adhesive to keep it there. I like the adjustable cant and I like how it carries the pistol low.

For reference, I'm about 6'1 and 195 LB.

Others carry IWB at 3 o'clock?
    Attached Images

I carry at 3:00 IWB. That really seems to be the most comfortable and conceable for me even with shorts and a slightly oversized t-shirt. My cargo short pocket flaps print but the G26 does not.

I made my own holster (not pretty) for about $12.00 using the tuckable clips from Crossbreed.
    Attached Images
    1911 officer, G26, LCR, & Keltec P3AT

Pretty close to 3 in a CBST. Bending over is conducive to printing, I've been trying to squat more.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

3:00 carry is my preferred location for smaller handguns -- J-frame, S&W CS9, Colt Pocket Nine, and the Springfield EMP. I think this has to do with the shorter barrel lengths. My Colt Officers 1911 (with only a 3.5" barrel) just feels much more comfortable behind my hip. I had initially suspected I would like it best at 3:00. All other guns (with barrel lengths greater than 3.5") I like to IWB also behind my hip.

I carry my fullsize 1911 in a Crossbreed Supertuck at 3:00. At the 3:00 position, barrel length on larger guns is not a problem. I use just a tad extra bit of forward cant to really bring in the butt of the grip. It is also easier to draw from a seated position.

I even have a Supertuck holster for my G26 for the warmer weather. I still carry at 3:00 with this gun, too. I don't have to run much forward cant at all with this little package. I have found that if you run too much forward cant with most of the plastic pistols out there, the back of the slide tends to print at your 2:00-2:30 position instead. On 1911s, the back of the slide doesn't hang back over the beavertail area as much as Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs do, so you can afford to run a good bit more forward cant with the 1911 platform. Revolvers are even easier to run a lot of forward cant.

I carry at 3:00, also. It's better for printing and driving for long periods of time.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    PT140/MiniTuck - 5'8"/200 pounds
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Pretty close to 3 in a CBST. Bending over is conducive to printing, I've been trying to squat more.
    Bingo!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

cmb
    I too am a 3 o'clock guy, I push my wider guns around to about 4. I try not to bend from the waist and I turn that side away from view when picking something up or the like...

yep. thats what I do. exactly what 'time' i carry at is kinda hard to say, because i am not round at all...

but with my CTAC, one clip is between my first and 2nd belt loop and the other is between the 2nd and third, so that it is // to the small flat spot on my side/hips. i find this WAY better than 4:00 (right behind the hip)
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quit worrying about printing. Unless you've already drawn someone's attention, no one's gonna notice when you bend over (unless you spend your time bent over a lot!). They might think cell phone; you think gun because you know it is. You're being self-conscious.

I wear at 3:30-4:00 and try not to drop my keys.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I like about 3: 30

You're worrying about printing WAY TOO MUCH. If you carry anywhere between 3:00-4:00 and have a cant of 10-20 degrees (with a good belt and holster), the firearm will hug the body and not be easily seen.OMO

So you may have a slight bump...so what?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boonejeepin View Post
    I carry at 3:00 IWB. That really seems to be the most comfortable and conceable for me even with shorts and a slightly oversized t-shirt. My cargo short pocket flaps print but the G26 does not.

I made my own holster (not pretty) for about $12.00 using the tuckable clips from Crossbreed.
    Nothing wrong with that holster. Glock appears well concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I will squat to pick something up.
    Sometimes it's hard not to bend over a little, like getting stuff out of a shopping cart, or water fountain.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post

Ruger P345, CrossBreed SuperTuck
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links