Defensive Carry banner

Pulled over by LEO Tonight- County Sheriffs Office

3K views 35 replies 33 participants last post by  NY27 
#1 ·
Picked up my mom and siblings from the hotel room they are staying at since theyre in town to see us. It was 9:30pm, we had just made a left out of the hotel parking lot and started down the road.

Not even a mile down the road, some Impala headlights zoom right up to our bumper- immediately I know its a cruiser. Then the blue lights turn on, and I pull off as soon as I can.

The deputy approaches: -both hands already on steering wheel-

Deputy: Good evening sir.

Me: Good evening officer.

Deputy: Sir the reason I pulled you over tonight is because you have a burned out tag light. May I see your driver license?

Me: Yes sir, first I would like to inform you I have a concealed weapon permit, and (start to get nervous and stutter a bit) and have a weapon with me.

Deputy: Oh ok, where is it? On your person or in the vehicle?

Me: On my person, holstered inside my belt on my 3 o'clock.

Deputy: Ok, may I please see your driver license.

Me: Yes sir, my wallet is in my left rear pocket.

Deputy: Ok

Me: -start reaching for my wallet with my left hand, right hand on steering wheel.

Me: I keep reaching, and realize I had left my wallet in the center console right behind the parking brake.

Me: Officer- my wallet is on the center console.

Deputy: No problem.

Me: I slowly reach for it, and pinch it with my thumb and index finger. Bring it into the light and open it up. Slide out the permit, and License. Hand it to him

Deputy: When did last have a citation?

Me: Ive never had a citation issued sir.

Deputy: Ok, get that fixed as soon as you can, and have a safe night -as he hands permit and CDL.

Me: Thank you sir, you stay safe as well. Went on my way.

What a professional. Declaration of a weapon didnt even phase him. Im sure he knows that a criminal wont declare a weapon. I was really scared, as its my first time being pulled over, and pulled over with a weapon!

See less See more
#5 ·
You did everything right and so did the LEO!:congrats:

#10 ·
Thanks all. Didnt think pulling over would turn out to be a good experience ;)

#12 ·
Awesome! Glad to hear it went so smooth.

Personally, I've always felt that the civility of the officer during the vast majority of traffic stops outcome rests predominantely on the driver and their attitude. Give a crappy attitude to an LEO doing their job - pulling you over for doing something wrong - and get what you give the officer. Even if you get a citation for whatever the issue was, you don't have to get pissy nor does the officer.

In my youth, I received waaaay too many speeding tickets because of my lead foot. Only one of those stops was a bad one - and I thought I found one of the few non-"fun" LEO's out there. Guy was a jerk from the word go and made me feel like I was about an inch tall. Maybe I caught him on a bad night? Maybe he was always a jagoff and it wasn't a thing that I did. I don't know, but it didn't stop me from continuing to be respectful of any LEO I encountered after that point.

#13 ·
Glad everything went well on your stop! It really shouldn't be a big deal, yet we still hear of some bad ones from time to time. Yours went pretty well I think.

Congrats on not getting your first citation! :congrats:

#15 ·
Great job by everybody involved. I can only imagine how nervous you were. Sounds like he was a true professional.

#17 ·
Thanks everyone!

Griffworks- I agree. Most people paint LEO's as the bad guys. Blaming them for the tickets they receive, or the bad attitude they get when the driver is mostlikely the one at fault.

For example, my mother in law was stopped for doing over 70 in a 40mph residential area. I overheard her a week later discussing what had happened, and used the term 'idiot cop' in the conversation. I had to bite my tongue after being blown away by that comment. She was the one doing 30 over the speed limit. The cop did nothing wrong there!

I wouldve said something, only it wouldnt do anygood. Shes never wrong in her own mind. The deputy had a few reasons to pull me over. Obviously my tag light was out, I had driven past a few night clubs and bars. Maybe he was fishing for someone intoxicated? Who knows.

Either way-Im glad he pulled me over, shows hes doing his job.

#36 ·
My mother in law is the same way and I am a police officer. I tell her all the time that if I ever had pulled her over she would have escalated the situation into her wearing some matching S&W bracelets. Some people are just that way and can't be changed.

Good job on the way you handled the stop.:congrats:

#18 ·
What a professional. !
Yep - you should definitely return the
courtesy - maybe support some charity the local LEOs sponsor.

:wave:

#19 ·
Didn't get thrown against the trunk, your pistol was not field stripped (for your safety and his:rolleyes:), and no ticket...sounds like a great stop to me.:yup:

#30 ·
What is it with this rash of tag light stops :confused:

I got up from the computer and immediately checked mine like 2 threads ago :blink:

I am beginning to think I should check every time I turn on the Jeep. :danceban:

Fishing expeditions.

I was riding with a family member a couple weeks ago and he was pulling people over for BS of this nature hoping to find a suspended license, DUI, smell of weed, etc.
Of the 25 or so stops, he issued one fix it ticket for a cracked windshield.

His favorite reason to stop people while fishing is the plastic license plate frames you get advertising the car dealer you bought it from (which are illegal in MI).

#24 ·
Now this one sounds like a good, safe stop. Well done. :hand10:

#25 ·
Good going with the stop!
Your experience doesn't surprise me any.

The county cops, especially around here are the ones that are the coolest in my opinion. They're the ones you want to talk to. The city cops (lots, but not all), seem to be more intense and authoritative (tight), and the state guys (Troopers) hold themselves to a higher standard and by the book. Of course there's always age and tenure in the line of duty to consider as well that can make a difference. I live out in the county, and that's where I'd rather be. Subjective as it may seem to some, what I say is true for these here parts. I think the county cops have the best job out of all the others, and it usually shows in their demeanor and personality. If I was to be a cop, I'd want to be a county sheriff deputy even if the pay was less than the others. I also think they get the widest experience on the job. I known several of them in my county, and some of them have been shot taking down meth labs and the like. They are still the most personable, easy to talk to, down to earth law officers that I know of. I think it must have something to do with their work environment. Asphalt has a psychological impact and so do dirt roads. If you ever get the chance to drive down a dirt road....do it. If you ever get the chance to get out of the city......do it. Then you'll know what I'm talking about.

#34 ·
I live on a dirt road !
And I agree with you about the S.O. deputies.
Never had a bad experience with the Highway Patrol either ...

In my opinion the key is: "Give respect and you'll get respect !"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.