Fairfax County Circuit Court Permit - 54 days later

This is a discussion on Fairfax County Circuit Court Permit - 54 days later within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got me CC permit from Fairfax county circuit court - 54 days later. So, I applied for the permit, and 44 days later a ...

Thread: Fairfax County Circuit Court Permit - 54 days later

Finally got me CC permit from Fairfax county circuit court - 54 days later.
    So, I applied for the permit, and 44 days later a letter arrived in the mail. My permit was rejected for being incomplete - it was my fault, I entered my height in the two spaces that are used for height and weight. The letter said my application was denied, but I was given something like 35 days to provide the incomplete information. I called the court house to verify that I could drop of my supplementary information, instead of mailing it in. On a side note, the number they give you to call for questions has two options: press one for adoption or press two for concealed weapons permits. I didnít expect to hear that.

Anyways, I spoke to the clerk that handles the concealed weapon permit, and she was very nice and polite. I drove down and dropped off my supplementary information. Nine days later the permit arrived.

A couple things that I observed: One, Fairfax county circuit court does not require fingerprints or a license to apply for a permit. I just dropped of the application. I wonder how they did my background check with no formal ID? Two, the clerk that handles the permit process was very helpful and super nice. I called her yesterday to check the status and she told me she dropped it in the mail that morning. Three, the federal government can do some things right, it took one business day for the post office to get my permit to me.

I donít like the fact that it takes the full 45 days to get the permit in the first place, but I didn't feel like they were stonewalling me when my application was denied. In fact, I was surprised that they able to get the permit to me nine days after I made a mistake.

GM
    Congrats on the permit! Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

congrads! i hope to get mine soon from Fairfax county soon too

The folks who staff the Fairfax office are friendly, courteous, and helpful. They've helped my wife, my son, and myself to apply, and renew, and it's been a pleasure every time. Please thank them when you have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by erust2 View Post
    Finally got me CC permit from Fairfax county circuit court - 54 days later.
    So, I applied for the permit, and 44 days later a letter arrived in the mail. My permit was rejected for being incomplete - it was my fault, I entered my height in the two spaces that are used for height and weight. The letter said my application was denied, but I was given something like 35 days to provide the incomplete information. I called the court house to verify that I could drop of my supplementary information, instead of mailing it in. On a side note, the number they give you to call for questions has two options: press one for adoption or press two for concealed weapons permits. I didn’t expect to hear that.

Anyways, I spoke to the clerk that handles the concealed weapon permit, and she was very nice and polite. I drove down and dropped off my supplementary information. Nine days later the permit arrived.

A couple things that I observed: One, Fairfax county circuit court does not require fingerprints or a license to apply for a permit. I just dropped of the application. I wonder how they did my background check with no formal ID? Two, the clerk that handles the permit process was very helpful and super nice. I called her yesterday to check the status and she told me she dropped it in the mail that morning. Three, the federal government can do some things right, it took one business day for the post office to get my permit to me.

I don’t like the fact that it takes the full 45 days to get the permit in the first place, but I didn't feel like they were stonewalling me when my application was denied. In fact, I was surprised that they able to get the permit to me nine days after I made a mistake.
    lol I was a Police Officer in New York State and it took me as a Police officer almost SIX MONTHS!!! to get a Permit.....Also a big part of why I left NY for PA and will never live in NYS again lol..

I normally do not post however I saw your thread. I'm new to the forum (been reading for a while though), concealed carry, and Virginia. I am still waiting on my permit from Fairfax as well - 45 days is this Thursday so it should be here by next week is my guess. The first experience to hand in everything was okay - the clerk told me to expect it with 45 to 55 days which kind of irritated me a bit. State law requires a response within 45 days and I don't think the post office is that busy but I guess that just gives me a little more time to pick a good holster for my P239.

About a week after that while at work I get a call from a really nice clerk saying I had incorrectly filled in the form for Height and Weight section (did the same thing you did - doh). Also I hadn't filled in the line for markings and tattoos which is nearly hidden right below it. You hardly notice it and just glancing over the form would think it looks like fine print of some kind in the section. I thanked her for calling me to correct the issue and went in the following Monday - this was on Friday. So when I went in Monday I thanked her again for calling me so I wouldn't have to wait on the permit and she was very nice, saying that she's seen this a lot because the form is so poorly designed.

Also the librarian was very helpful in making sure I had all my copies before applying (forgot a few and had to run down to make them). I agree the clerks were really helpful and nice so hoping it comes soon.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Welcome and congrats on your permit! As I learned here, stay armed, stay safe.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerman View Post
    I normally do not post however I saw your thread. I'm new to the forum (been reading for a while though), concealed carry, and Virginia. I am still waiting on my permit from Fairfax as well - 45 days is this Thursday so it should be here by next week is my guess. The first experience to hand in everything was okay - the clerk told me to expect it with 45 to 55 days which kind of irritated me a bit. State law requires a response within 45 days and I don't think the post office is that busy but I guess that just gives me a little more time to pick a good holster for my P239.

About a week after that while at work I get a call from a really nice clerk saying I had incorrectly filled in the form for Height and Weight section (did the same thing you did - doh). Also I hadn't filled in the line for markings and tattoos which is nearly hidden right below it. You hardly notice it and just glancing over the form would think it looks like fine print of some kind in the section. I thanked her for calling me to correct the issue and went in the following Monday - this was on Friday. So when I went in Monday I thanked her again for calling me so I wouldn't have to wait on the permit and she was very nice, saying that she's seen this a lot because the form is so poorly designed.

Also the librarian was very helpful in making sure I had all my copies before applying (forgot a few and had to run down to make them). I agree the clerks were really helpful and nice so hoping it comes soon.
    In Prince William County, the clerk went over each line with me before I departed the office to make sure I didn't make any mistakes...

Took less than 30 days for my permit to arrive...

Customer service at it's best...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    In Prince William County, the clerk went over each line with me before I departed the office to make sure I didn't make any mistakes...

Took less than 30 days for my permit to arrive...

Customer service at it's best...
    Good for PW Co.

I haven't decided where PW Co fits into the continuum of Va jurisdictions re: knowing/following State Law & attitude on guns. Some reports are very good -- yet some are bad.

Generally NOVA is at the bad end, but PW Co. is a strange mix.

FWIIW, down here in SWVA, I had mine in hand in under two weeks.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Good for PW Co.

I haven't decided where PW Co fits into the continuum of Va jurisdictions re: knowing/following State Law & attitude on guns. Some reports are very good -- yet some are bad.

Generally NOVA is at the bad end, but PW Co. is a strange mix.

FWIIW, down here in SWVA, I had mine in hand in under two weeks.
    I can't say anything bad about PWC so far...I feel very comfortable CCing here...and have seen only one business that has a "No Guns" sign...

Fairfax County is a little different in my POV...but better than, say, Arlington...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    I can't say anything bad about PWC so far...I feel very comfortable CCing here...and have seen only one business that has a "No Guns" sign...

Fairfax County is a little different in my POV...but better than, say, Arlington...
    Check out the City of Falls Church, if you want to see a real piece of work.
    Last edited by DaveH; June 22nd, 2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: sp -- i before e, etc
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsored Links