Defensive Carry banner

no concealed knife permit?

7K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  shockwave 
#1 ·
In NC you can open carry a gun without a permit, and concealed carry a handgun with a concealed handgun permit.

However, it appears that you cannot carry a simple knife, openly or concealed, not even with a concealed handgun permit, and there is no separate concealed knife permit either!

This seems so ridiculous...is this really the way it is? Is that common in other states?

#2 ·
In Iowa, you have to have a PCW (Permit to Carry Weapons) to carry a "Dangerous weapon." Which, according to law, means (paraphrased):

'Device designed primarly to cause death or seriuos injury. Not limited to offensive weapons (which are illegal and include SBRs, Bombs, Automatic weapons, silencers, mines), pistols revolvers, other firearms, daggers, razors, stilettos, switchblade knives, or any knife with a blade longer than five inches.'

So, with a permit, I can carry all of the above (except illegal weapons, in paren's above). I'm trying to figure out how to carry a meat cleaver ala Gangs of NewYork... I figure if I have one big enough, and properly placed, it will act as rudimentary body armor as well....:image035::blink:

#3 ·
The city of San Antonio has a law against "folding, lock blade knives". It's a city law, not county or state. You can carry a straight, fixed blade knife, up to a certain length (4"?), but no folding, locking pocket knives. Or even "buck" knives in a sheath. Where's the sense in that?
My CHL is a Concealed Handgun License, not a concealed weapons permit.
One LEO friend told me that they don't really enforce it if you're a decent looking person and they see that little pocket clip, but it does give them reason to stop and search a gang banger. Maybe that's why it was written, but usually not enforced?

#4 ·
Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons License (CCDW)

Not a problem in KY!:danceban:

Still have some vagueness in our laws concerning the knives, but continued research with my local PD found that they don't care (well...mostly) what you carry if you have the magic License.

:smoke23:

#5 ·
gotta love florida "Concealed Weapons Permit" I know it annoys my friends because they always come to me and ask me what the legal length is for a knife and I always have to say I don't know I don't worry about it, I can carry whatever I want :-D. Doesn't help that any cop I ask has no clue either

#11 ·
Just for your friends' info, FL statute says this:

"(13) "Weapon" means any dirk, knife, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon except a firearm or a common pocketknife, plastic knife, or blunt-bladed table knife."

Firearms are covered in another definition. The definition of "common" pocketknife could be considered "vague," but I would think any pocketknife manufactured and sold as such would qualify. No length or locking devices mentioned.

#6 ·
To the OP: Check NC law.

Specifically, Subsection 14-269 addresses concealed weapons.

(d) This section does not apply to an ordinary pocket knife
carried in a closed position. As used in this section, "ordinary
pocket knife" means a small knife, designed for carrying in a
pocket or purse, that has its cutting edge and point entirely
enclosed by its handle, and that may not be opened by a
throwing, explosive, or spring action.
OK? Now, the link above also gives you settled case law, and check out this part:

"Knife about 4-1/2 inches in overall length which, when
folded, was clearly designed for carrying in a pocket or
purse, was an 'ordinary pocketknife' as defined by this
section." (1989)
Got it? So a 4" Ti Lite is OK under the definition of 'ordinary pocketknife.' There are other blades you might want to carry, but at least you are able to carry one of the best defensive folders on the market. You are allowed to have almost anything you want on your own property.

What you really want is for NC law to become more like Florida's. Consider petitioning your reps for a real CWP that covers anything you might want to carry.

#12 ·
To the OP: Check NC law.

Specifically, Subsection 14-269 addresses concealed weapons.

OK? Now, the link above also gives you settled case law, and check out this part:

Got it? So a 4" Ti Lite is OK under the definition of 'ordinary pocketknife.' There are other blades you might want to carry, but at least you are able to carry one of the best defensive folders on the market. You are allowed to have almost anything you want on your own property.

What you really want is for NC law to become more like Florida's. Consider petitioning your reps for a real CWP that covers anything you might want to carry.
This could still get you in trouble.

As per the NC AG office, the 4 and one half inch overall length mentioned in case law is the total length of the knife open so the blade length was 2 and a quarter inches that was found to be acceptable as a pocket knife. A 4 inch blade could cause you problems.

I know this is ridiculous but this has been verified with the NC AGs office.

Will you get arrested for carrying a 4" blade in your pocket during a normal stop? Most likely not. Could they add charges for it if you got arrested for other things? Most likely if they were in the mood to inconvenience you.

#7 ·
When it comes to knives, those of us in Tennessee aren't covered either. What's mindboggling is that on my permit I can legally carry a machinegun, sbs, or sbr if I own one, but still can't carry or own an automatic or gravity knife.

Go figure... :confused:

#8 ·
Va doesn't allow concealed knife carry(permit is CHP, not CWP) either. Before I retired, I never thought much about it, and carried a lock back "OldTimer" most of the time for work. During Winter it was usually either partially or totally concealed by my work jackets. In more than 23 years, I'm fairly sure it was seen by leos a few time, so I guess they tend to ignore it.

#9 ·
I read somewhere that in the U.S. the knife is viewed as a thug's weapon, particularly within our legal system. This has always disturbed me a little. It kind of blows me away that I can have 15 rounds of 9mm on me with no problems but a knife with a blade longer than 3.5" is illegal.

#16 ·
As per the NC AG office, the 4 and one half inch overall length mentioned in case law is the total length of the knife open so the blade length was 2 and a quarter inches that was found to be acceptable as a pocket knife.
Gotcha. On rereading I see you are correct. I was mistaken in thinking they meant blade length only. Dang, but that's restrictive!

I wish the writers of such laws would figure out that blade length and type of deployment have very little impact. A person with a 2-inch fixed kerambit could wreak more havoc than somebody with a 6" switchblade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.