Kimber 1911 Issue

This is a discussion on Kimber 1911 Issue within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not Kimber or 1911 bashing but why would you have to replace springs, magazines, firing pin stops etc on a brand new pistol? I like ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimber 1911 Issue

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Not Kimber or 1911 bashing but why would you have to replace springs, magazines, firing pin stops etc on a brand new pistol? I like the way tricked out 1911's look but sheesh I don't want to have to screw with anything other than putting on some pretty grip panels. Just saying...

2. Remove Ads

I had this exact problem with my Tac Custom II. Didn't matter what mags I used. Since I carried this gun every day I realized I couldn't trust it with my life and sold it.
    Kimber continues to come across as a custom gun, when in reality, they stopped being that a long time ago. I switched to a Glock 21SF that has 13+1 of .45 ACP and never fails to do anything right. Also way easier to maintain.

A Kimber is what you show your friends.
    A Glock is what you show your enemies...

most likely a mag issue. I have heard that kimber factory mags can be iffy. i have had zero problems with mind, but mine is for the 3" 9mm, so quite a bit different. i would get a wilson mag and see if that fixes your prob, if not, post back.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Cobramag

I had nose dive feed issues with my Kimber. After trying to get Wilson, Chip McCormick, Mecgar... to work, I found it lonly liked Cobramags. They're designed with a higher insertion height and a much stronger spring. In my humble opinion, they are the finest 1911 magazines around.

They do protrude out the bottom, but fit nicely with a mag well.

Another option is the Wilson 7 or 8 round magazines. Mine only liked them with the Tripp Super 7 upgrade, which is a hybrid follower with a much heavier spring with more coils. This will keep you nearly flush, with a 7 round capacity.

Tripp Research, Inc.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    When I was growing up, my dad was a small town Chevy dealer. I worked everyday after school and summers at the dealership (I was your basic gopher). I can still recall that there were just some cars that were lemons. We'd have cars & pickups that we'd never see except for routine maint. and there were a few cars that seemed to just have a constant stream of problems. Most firearms these days come from some variation of an assembly line. There are the obvious exceptions, but you pay quite a bit for the excellence of a firearm that is put together by hand by a master gunsmith.

Most of the major models are quite good--but, just like the cars, there are lemons out there. Don't judge a whole line just because of the few exceptions (unless, of course, most of the guns are problems)
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Good article on the subject of 1911 magazines.

Administrator
    Well, you can probably save that one magazine by buying a Wolff +power magazine spring. Then it should feed that last round.

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I did have to buff the paint/coating off the feed ramp on my SIS Pro to get 100% feed rate @ 300 rounds. It was getting better but I had 3 FTE's in the first 300 rounds so I just polished it bright, no metal removed. I also use Tripp 7 round Cobra mags...worth every penny!
    I thought that the SIS guns had steel frames. Am I wrong about that? (I should know, since I spent considerable time tuning my son-in-law's SIS Pro, but I don't recall for sure.) If they are steel, polish away!!

I just checked; SIS guns have steel frames, at least on the 4" and 5" guns, best I can tell. A failure to eject wouldn't have anything to do with a rough feed ramp. Were you getting failures to eject, or to feed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links