Carrying with neighbor's kids, friend's house

This is a discussion on Carrying with neighbor's kids, friend's house within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I make it a practice to carry everywhere I legally can, starting about 5 or 6 weeks ago. The other day I took my kids ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying with neighbor's kids, friend's house

Carrying with neighbor's kids, friend's house

I make it a practice to carry everywhere I legally can, starting about 5 or 6 weeks ago. The other day I took my kids along with a neighbor kid to the movies. Since I don't know the parents that well, I choose not to carry. Same thing if we have non-family guests to our house or visit a friend's house.

The reason being, in the event I get "made" I don't want to offend friends/neighbors, some of whom may be anti. Or even if not anti saying something like "you were carrying a gun around my CHILD!?!". You know the type....

And despite carrying concealed, wind sometimes whips up a shirttail, folks like to hug and getting made happens. I guess I'm trying to reconcile my desire to carry with my anticipated reactions from friends or neighbors.

I'm sure I'm not the first new CCW holder to feel this way, so any advice or suggestions (or plain 'ol commiseration) is welcomed.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, if certain situations arise where I canít carry comfortably I drop my handgun in my laptop bag; there is almost no chance of anyone seeing my gun in the bag, because it is deep inside an inner pocket. I also have a day planner that my handgun fits in.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I carry , if they dont like it enough to complain then I dont need to do things for them or thier children . I know that isnt much help but most never notice if you have a fal on a sling lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    "you were carrying a gun around my CHILD!?!". You know the type....
    Yes, I do know the type!! One of my main thoughts in such circumstances tho is to think - or even be tempted to say - ''do you trust me''? If yes then - ''trust me, trust my gun''. I would emphasize that a gun on my person is in my total control and is no more threat than I am. If I am not to be trusted then fair enough - I will most likely cease to associate.

Going into other's homes is another aspect we discuss - and here I also tend to want to feel the ''trust me, trust my gun'' deal but - we do here sometimes have an individual's wish to not have something in his home and that like it or not has to be respected. More often than not it means I will not be visiting.

Fortunately such things effect me rarely, tho now and again I have been in a house carrying and no awareness of any ''no carry'' policy or wish - in which case, concealed is concealed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly
    Same thing if we have non-family guests to our house or visit a friend's house.
    I can agree with you about not carrying in someone else's house if you're not sure about how they would feel, but not carrying in your own house? No way. I have adopted the policy of, "my house, my rules" with guests (be it family or friends). My wife thinks I am being a hard a$$, but I veiw my home as the one place that I can truly do whatever I want; within reason of course. I don't let anyone that doesn't reside under my roof dictate policy there.

And like P95Carry said, concealed is concealed. More than likely, you're not going to be made. Most non-shooters are clueless about people carrying.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    no, it's not a gun, it's my cell phone

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    If they can't respect the fact that I carry than I don't need them for friends and they would not be welcome at my house.

Lead Moderator
    I carry when legal to do so. Anyone who might find out can be offended all they wish.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If I am going somewhere that I might get hugged and made, I carry in a ankle holster. I always carry if and when I want. The only time I got made, I just told the person who made me to chill out. I figure, you don't like the weapon, you don't like me.

I carry everywhere it is legal, and am ready to explain. If at their house, it's different than a public place, and I'd also then ask, but only if made.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

There is a stigma attached to handguns in many people's minds. Those unfamilliar with firearms usually only hear about them when the media reports some careless idiot allowing a child to get ahold of his weapon and there is a tragedy. If someone happens to see a gun on your person it is often assumed that it is being carried illegally or that it is going to be used for aggresion instead of defense or there is bound to be some sort of accident.

I suggest carrying at all times. If someone accidentally sees your weapon it is a great opportunity to educate them and let them see that guns do not have a mind of their own and do not pick themselves up and start shooting at everyone in range.
    Last edited by MILKMAN; June 15th, 2006 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    I carry , if they dont like it enough to complain then I dont need to do things for them or thier children . I know that isnt much help but most never notice if you have a fal on a sling lol
    I agree with you 100%

if you carry, you must be able to carry at all times. smaller gun sometimes, larger other. work on it and then it will not be a problem or question on what to do. you will allways have a gun on your person at all times. it will take some work and money, but it is worth it. carry and do not tell or let them see/known that you have "rosco" on you.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKelly
    I make it a practice to carry everywhere I legally can, starting about 5 or 6 weeks ago. The other day I took my kids along with a neighbor kid to the movies. Since I don't know the parents that well, I choose not to carry. Same thing if we have non-family guests to our house or visit a friend's house.

The reason being, in the event I get "made" I don't want to offend friends/neighbors, some of whom may be anti. Or even if not anti saying something like "you were carrying a gun around my CHILD!?!". You know the type....

And despite carrying concealed, wind sometimes whips up a shirttail, folks like to hug and getting made happens. I guess I'm trying to reconcile my desire to carry with my anticipated reactions from friends or neighbors.

I'm sure I'm not the first new CCW holder to feel this way, so any advice or suggestions (or plain 'ol commiseration) is welcomed.
    And what will happen if you don't carry and something happens to their kid cause you didn't. Your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

I carry everywhere, whether I have people to my house or whether I am going to their house or somewhere in public with them.

I visited a friend's house recently - haven't known them too long, but they are in the "inner circle" so to speak. They knew I had a firearm and knew I had a CCW - just didn't know for sure if I was actually carrying. They have a few small children. The husband owns firearms but doesn't carry, and the wife doesn't shoot. I was there for several hours each day for several days in a row helping to take care of the wife, who had just had a baby.

I think the first day they were a little unsure if I was actually carrying and didn't want to ask outright. I was picking up the baby & toddler just like I always do, carrying them and playing with them. It felt weird in a way because the media has drilled into my head that you should never have a loaded firearm in the same room with a child, and here mine was on my hip with the baby snuggled up against my chest. But I realized that it couldn't be safer - I knew every second where the gun was and where the baby was, and knew the toddler couldn't get hold of it.

The following day the husband had to go to work, so I was there with the wife & children, still carrying. The house is in a remote area and the wife was have a hard time getting around after the birth - exhausted, sore, retaining fluid, etc.

The newspaper that day had a big article about an escaped convict - burglary, assault, and rape.

Now all of a sudden, they were looking at me differently. The husband knew that nothing could possibly happen to his incapacitated wife while I was there. The wife knew she didn't have to worry about herself or her children. Although nothing was ever said directly, the wife made an indirect reference to it, and there was a sense of trust and relief on their part.

The con was on the loose for several days before he was caught - with a stolen shotgun and after having broken into several homes - just a few miles from the house.

As soon as she fully recovers, the wife is coming to the range with me.

So my experience resulted in a convert!

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links