does CCing cause you physical pain / aches

This is a discussion on does CCing cause you physical pain / aches within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of you know, I am a slim gal (5'8" 115 lb) and I carry a reasonably small/lightweight gun (kimber ultra aegis II- 3" ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: does CCing cause you physical pain / aches

As many of you know, I am a slim gal (5'8" 115 lb) and I carry a reasonably small/lightweight gun (kimber ultra aegis II- 3" 9mm 1911 with Al frame- 25oz empty) in IWB at around 3:00
    CCing is not uncomfortable for me in any way when I put it on and moving around.
    However, after a full day, or even just a few hours, of being out and about (especially if i am on my feet), i get really sore from it.
    My left hip/side actually starts hurting first (gun is on the right), and that crawls up and down my back and into my shoulders and neck.
    If I am actually walking around all day with my gun, many times by the time I get home my entire back, hips, shoulders, legs, and neck are very cramped and ouchy. Im surprised at what 2-3 lb on my hip can do over a day.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    I have since gotten a Wilderness Safepacker for when I am hiking or going to be working outdoors for a while, and im thinking that it might help, but I havnt been out and about long enough with it on to know for sure.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

No, but I'm 5"11", 175 lbs. and male if that makes a differance. What position are you carrying at?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I had similar symptoms to you, but not nearly as bad. It went away after moving the gun to the 4:00 position. I will still ocassionally carry at 3:00 oclock.

I also had issues while ankle carrying my Glock 26 (30+ ounces loaded) when working (walking around for hours at a time serving tables)... got rid of that set up and bought a smart carry.

Just like anything, CCing is a learning process, you dont get it perfect overnight. Ive been CCing for 9 months, and am finally settling down on my primary carry methods that I find work best for me for many reasons, one being comfort.

It's completely possible for the pistol to do that, if you are compensating with the muscles on the other side. You might want to see a chiropractor to make sure everything is straight to start with, then look for ways to balance out the carry. A good belt, if you don't already have one, will help. Some kind of suspenders under your cover garment might help too if the problem is that bad.
    Probably the easiest thing to do, though, is plenty of core type exercise. Build those muscle groups up, so the minimal weight of you gun has less effect. With your low body weight, that 25-30oz has more impact than it does on us with allot more total mass.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I'm a physically active 53 year-old man, but carrying my FNP-9 in an IWH for extended periods tends to cause pain in my hip. So, in jacket weather, I prefer using a shoulder holster. And in hot weather, I carry a PF-9 in my front pocket behind my wallet. Problem solved.

There is no shame involved for a man to admit to feeling pain and discomfort. When I work hard, or workout, I expect to feel a certain degree of pain. But not when I'm leisurely strolling down a sidewalk.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

I think you could experiment with several things:

1) The location of your IWB holster. I would adjust the location and see if it helps. Try 3:30 or 4 position.

2) Perhaps the type of weapon/weight of that weapon is a contributory factor. Maybe research the available 9mm that are lighter and consider for EDC.

3) Your type of carry holster could be a contributory factor. I personally carry OWB because of that very reason.

It will be an experimental thing I'm sure. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

If I was in that much pain after carrying all day I would make a doctors appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    As many of you know, I am a slim gal (5'8" 115 lb) and I carry a reasonably small/lightweight gun (kimber ultra aegis II- 3" 9mm 1911 with Al frame- 25oz empty) in IWB at around 3:00
    CCing is not uncomfortable for me in any way when I put it on and moving around.
    However, after a full day, or even just a few hours, of being out and about (especially if i am on my feet), i get really sore from it.
    My left hip/side actually starts hurting first (gun is on the right), and that crawls up and down my back and into my shoulders and neck.
    If I am actually walking around all day with my gun, many times by the time I get home my entire back, hips, shoulders, legs, and neck are very cramped and ouchy. Im surprised at what 2-3 lb on my hip can do over a day.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    I have since gotten a Wilderness Safepacker for when I am hiking or going to be working outdoors for a while, and im thinking that it might help, but I havnt been out and about long enough with it on to know for sure.
    Just something to think about but I had a similar issue recently. It gets pretty hot and humid here in Indiana in june/july/august and I am a distance runner. This means for those three months I have to run with some sort of fluids. When I first started running I tried a little hip pack thing that sat at about 3:30 (where I normally where my Glock 26). I noticed after about 3 or 4 miles my right knee would start hurting. This is uncommon for me as I can generally do 10 miles easy with no pain. Well, long story short it wasn't the bottle it's self causing the issue, it was me subconsciously trying to compensate for it's presence. Because it was there I ran with a little bit different form then when I did when it wasn't there. When I realized this and consciously stopped doing it the pain went away.

To bring it back around to guns... it may be possible that your doing something unconsciously trying to compensate for the pistol. Maybe you sit jutting your right hip out a bit which causes you to hunch your back or shoulders or maybe you change your walking stride a little bit because of the added bulk on your side. As a matter of fact I would be willing to bet that if you carried just the holster for a day WITHOUT the gun in it you would have exactly the same problem.

My suggestion would be (and may sound a bit silly) but have someone watch you (and maybe even take a picture) sitting down with and without and gun and holster. Then have someone watch your walking the same way. Subtle changes in our posture and stride can have major negative effects. You also might want to make a appointment with a chiropractor.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have chronic lower back pain...and try not to wear a belt...

When I carry (I can't every day because of where I work), I like to wear a UnderTech Undercover belt...it's wide enough to distribute the pressure...

Yesterday, I wore a belt with a holster, and felt it this morning...

Getting old really isn't fun...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

thanks for the inputs thus far.
    1) not changing my gun
    2) cant change to 3:30 or 4:00. I carry at 3:00 b/c its really the only spot I can conceal. I have messed around with tons of options and holsters and such. Concealment wise this really is the only thing I have found that works in my 3 years of carrying so far. Same this with OWB vs IWB. with my size and any reasonably female clothing attire, I have very few options
    3) my belt is decent, but probably not the best. I have been considering getting a really good one. I might just have to do that now
    4) also not really interested / able to change carry 'type' (ei, shoulder, ankle, etc). I have looked into them and tried them some and had very little luck with concealability.
    Georg Büchner

ya... seeing a doc / chiropractor isnt a bad idea
    'hey doc, when i uh.. have some extra weight hanging off my side.. i uhh.. my neck hurts'
    though the guy that runs my range is a chiropractor, so i might at least talk to him. in general i am a very creeky person. all my knuckles, joints, etc crack a lot. I crack all the joints in my fingers, elbows, wrists, neck, back, knees, ankles, jaw, feet, hips.... ya, you get the picture.
    I do work out quite a bit, but probably should concentrate on core more than I do.
    I think I will start by working out my core more and getting a better belt.
    I may shoot the owner of my range / chiropractor an email, though I know what he will say. I'll probably go in if it gets too bad.

This isnt a daily thing by the way. It is rare that I am walking around all day with my gun. I can't carry at work, and even if I am out and about some over the weekend, its rarely THAT much. This really only happens when I spend over 75% of my day on my feet with my gun.

edit: and ya, im sure im compensating, but it is due to the weight, not just me knowing that its there. I have actually worn my empty holster around quite a bit with no problem. I notice that I do walk different, etc when my gun is in the holster vs w/o. I just cant do much about it.
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    thanks for the inputs thus far.
    1) not changing my gun
    With new technology lighter weapons are available, however if you refuse to change the weapon then strength train so your body can handle carrying the weight of that pistol better.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    With new technology lighter weapons are available, however if you refuse to change the weapon then strength train so your body can handle carrying the weight of that pistol better.
    If you can find me a significantly lighter 9mm 1911 I would certainly consider switching.

or if you would rather, a 9mm single action, single stacked gun... if 1911 is too picky, but i really prefer the 1911 grip angle and safety. :)
    Georg Büchner

I wonder if equalizing the distribution by having the same weight on my left hip would help. Anyone got a 3" 1911 I can borrow for my left hip?
    Georg Büchner

have you looked at the EMP?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links