Out of Town and not carrying

This is a discussion on Out of Town and not carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to go out of town for the weekend and choose not to carry with airline and state not honoring permit. My SA was ...

I had to go out of town for the weekend and choose not to carry with airline and state not honoring permit. My SA was very high but yet I felt a bit naked. Everything turned out all good but kit is nice to get back home. I am looking at getting a Utah out of state CC permit and need to look for a Utah permit instructor around the IND or Louisville area. Where is a good place to find a Utah instructor?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinixd View Post
    I had to go out of town for the weekend and choose not to carry with airline and state not honoring permit. My SA was very high but yet I felt a bit naked. Everything turned out all good but kit is nice to get back home. I am looking at getting a Utah out of state CC permit and need to look for a Utah permit instructor around the IND or Louisville area. Where is a good place to find a Utah instructor?
    I know what you feel like. I'm in town and can't carry (check my signature line).

As far as instructors go, here's the out of state list of Utah instructors.................

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/doc...tstate_079.pdf
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I'm doing the same. Traveling on vacation by car from WA to OR and CA. Chose not to bring my firearm because no OR or CA permits to carry and without permit rules make it so it wouldn't be much good in emergency anyway. Have to work to focus on SA when I'm not carrying.
    "I wish I would have done the hard things when they were easier to do."

Get a COM safe and keep the weapon locked up. True, it would take some time to get to and load, but it would be better than nothing.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Do keep in mind, when you apply for your Utah, you have to physically turn in your application to their licensing location. This is a new change; renewals can be done by mail. When you look for an instructor you may be able to get FL as well, which gives you a lot more coverage, mind you it is $117 first time around and doable by mail. Good Luck!!

Check out this link and perhaps this will help.. http://www.eventbrite.com/event/609684583
    If Guns kill people then all of mine are defective!
    My idea of gun control is using BOTH hands!

Permits in: ND (resident), CT, UT, FL, AZ & MN
    North Dakota Concealed Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

I had to go out of town for the weekend and choose not to carry with airline and state not honoring permit.
    What airline did you fly with?
    Knowing is half the battle.

I didnt see that requirement in there at all. Or on BCI's website.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I just got back from a disarmed week in Hawaii (son there). The first couple of days I kept flashing that my pistol was exposed---then I realized it was actually me that was exposed.

While loitering in the San Francisco airport, I heard an interesting announcement on the PA system: "Passenger ..., meet the sheriff's deputy at ... to claim your property". I wondered if San Francisco was in an anti-CC county and they did this to anyone who dared to transport a handgun by air.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    What airline did you fly with?
    It was Continential Express going and Delta returning...

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    You might check with a Gander Mountain if they have them near where you live. I was in one in Illinois last year and I noticed on a bulletin board in the store a message that they were hosting a Utah CC class there.

It was Continential Express going and Delta returning...
    Which does not allow firearms? I fly with Delta occasionally. American is my normal carrier, and they seem to be okay with it.
    Knowing is half the battle.

I just returned from a week at the beach. The states involved in travel reciprocate, so I carried on the trip. We stayed in a campground with gated entry and security, so I locked my 442 up in the truck safe during the day (we spent most of our time at the beach or pool...no good way to secure) and had it with me at night. I did CC anytime we left the campground. Since I can't carry while at work, it didn't feel too awkward not to be carrying throughout the day.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I spend a lot of time in and around states in which it is impossible or next-to-impossible to get a permit (NY, NJ, MD, DC, MA). Fortunately, I have good H2H training, am 6'4" 215, and carry a sub 3" blade on me (OC spray is regulated in many of these areas as well). It feels strange, because when I lived exclusively in VA, my EDC was as much a part of my attire as my pants and shoes. I'm working on my CT permit, so for now, I'm naked here too.

I can carry in DE, but usually driving through DE takes less than 15 minutes, and with MD and NJ on either side, I just keep it locked in the trunk and pray that I don't have to deal with State Police in either state.

I have gotten to where I refuse to give money to a state that does not honor my CCW, but that is just me.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    Which does not allow firearms? I fly with Delta occasionally. American is my normal carrier, and they seem to be okay with it.
    Oh the airlines were ok with it I beleive however my carry permit not good in CT were I was plus I did not want to mess with carry while traveling just yet and that is just me...

Links