I did not know this

This is a discussion on I did not know this within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Flint's ban on carrying loaded weapons may have to change, council members fear resulting gun violence | MLive.com I normally carry when I go to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I did not know this

I did not know this

Flint's ban on carrying loaded weapons may have to change, council members fear resulting gun violence | MLive.com

I normally carry when I go to Flint, which luckily isn't all that often.
    I have carried in the Flint Biship Airport and when I had to go with my daughter to the Social Security Office (of course I couldn't carry in the building because it's federal).
    Apparently I was in violation of the local gun laws while doing this because of course my edc was loaded!

Luckily Michigan has state premption so it wouldn't have mattered if anyone did notice.

Flint does have a serious crime situation, however by limiting hand gun access to law abiding citizens they are simply creating more targets and making Flint a better place for criminals to do business.

2. Remove Ads

She thinks changing their law would put more guns on the streets, of course it would, law abiding citizens would arm themselves. The result would be that many of the criminals would move to locations that still ban guns. Some that remained would end up getting shot, not a bad thing either. At least the law abiding would have a chance to defend themselves which they can't do legally at the present time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Flint's ordinance says it is unlawful to carry a firearm on any public street or in any public place unless it is unloaded and in a case.

Poplar and 6th Ward Councilman Sheldon Neeley said they may try to change the law in Michigan by adding language that would allow Flint to enact its own rules for restricting firearms because of the city's high violent crime and murder rates.
    Sure...cuz being able to enforce is going to make all the crime go away....

I saw this about 2 weeks ago and thought, how stupid the politicians in flint are. You really can see the direct connection with gun restrictions and violent crime.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    There must surely be some correlation between becoming a politician and developing a severe case of rectal vision. They never seem to be able to see past their agenda and of course common sense never enters into the equation.

Like many things in politics, the perception of action is often more important than action itself.

Open Carry is legal in Kansas yet State law allows cities to ban the practice.

When Concealed Carry began in 2007; Topeka, Wichita and several KC area cities unintentionally reworded their city Ordinances so as to allowed both CC and OC by CHL holders.

Earlier this year, the Wichita City Council reverted to banning OC by anyone.

Just last week, the Topeka City Council voted to allow OC by anyone.

Topeka PD forming Open Carry Policy

I live in Flint, have for 36 years, when we where a boom town of luxury and until now.

Our politicians have always been stupid.

This ordinance doesn't matter, as it is nullified by our state preemption laws.

It's just ridiculous that Gordon had to point it out and we know the laws better than the people who are supposed to make them and enforce them.

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    I live in Flint, have for 36 years, when we where a boom town of luxury and until now.

Our politicians have always been stupid.

This ordinance doesn't matter, as it is nullified by our state preemption laws.

It's just ridiculous that Gordon had to point it out and we know the laws better than the people who are supposed to make them and enforce them.
    Makes you wonder some days doesnt it...... BTW welcome to the Forums...
    Last edited by Harryball; June 23rd, 2010 at 12:34 PM.

huh. didnt know that either. glad i dont live in michigan anymore
    glad that in TN, a city may not do that!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

CMT
    I grew up in Flint on the North end of town in the 70s & 80s. It was a scary place back then. I have many friends who are LEOs in be area. It is a war zone and have heard horror stories. I go there just about every day, I live nearby. I don't think twice about having 1 in the tube. Every seconds counts. Here's an idea. Let's pull the badges of the streets and penalize the citizens for having a legal, loaded weapon. God Bless the good people in the area. Please stay safe and keep your head on a swivel.
    Springfield XD-9mm Service Model 4"
    Kel-Tec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I saw this about 2 weeks ago and thought, how stupid the politicians in flint are. You really can see the direct connection with gun restrictions and violent crime.
    People have a tendency to overestimate their own capabilities (cockiness), and to extrapolate their own abilities to other people without statistical evidence that this is accurate. Think of all the diverse weird and crazy people out there and now give guns to a random cross section of them. You will see more of:

a) more innocent civilians defending themselves against criminals (+)
    b) more unstable/temperamental people enacting using guns instead of fists the next time they get violent (-)
    c) more children accidentally shooting themselves or others (-)
    d) more accidental discharges (-)
    e) when both parties are armed there is greater potential for a shootout that has more bullets overall flying through the air and more chance of hitting an innocent (-)
    f) greater chance that a criminal that is a repeat-offender gets shot, and thereby stops repeating his crimes (+)
    g) more people attempting to defend themselves and causing the instigating criminal to use deadly force against them when he might otherwise have just robbed them (-)

etc, etc

My point is that the existence of more guns on the street can have positive and negative effects and one cannot simply state that it will be better or worse based on intuition alone. Statistics would provide a better answer, but you couldn't simply rely on a simple statistic because, for example, the "number of violent crimes" might be reduced while the "number of accidental deaths" increases.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    long quote removed.

We get that, but one thing is for certain: Criminals will not be turning in their guns. If they take them away from us stable people, we have a 0% chance to fight back.

Replace the gun with any weapon, fists, slings, bows, or fire crackers. Any more of any weapon and the above is true.

The facts are that cooks are well armed, disarming the public after the fact will not disarm the criminals.

Back to this thread, it is crazy that a city would not know an ordinace is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    huh. didnt know that either. glad i dont live in michigan anymore
    glad that in TN, a city may not do that!
    Just a heads up, Michigan actually has one of the best preemption laws on the books. This ban is totally unenforceable, and the city would open itself to a massive lawsuit if they even tried.

The law is written specificly so cities and other smaller jurisdictions than the state CAN'T write their own firearms laws.

I love that fact too :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links