Ten minutes Can Be A Very , Very Long Time

This is a discussion on Ten minutes Can Be A Very , Very Long Time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ten minutes Can Be A Very , Very Long Time -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am listening to a police scanner on my computer right now and a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am listening to a police scanner on my computer right now and a very interesting call going on right now. It involves a 16YO girl alone in a house she’s on the phone W/ 911 dispatch and someone(maybe two people) just came into her home. Shortly after that the person(s) left her home but she thinks there’s still someone in the basement. There are cops converging on the scene from all over the district and as a matter of fact the first call came in that they were on scene while I was writing this. The thing that’s interesting is that it took at least 10 minutes from the time the first call came in till the first unit arrived. Ten minutes is an awfully long time to wait for the police to show up when there’s a bad guy in your house.
    It’s even longer when the bad guy is in your house alone W/ your daughter.

I own a gun for a reason

El Paso County, Colorado (CO) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com

FWIW here's the link to the scanner you can look up your area on it if you choose. seems like it would be a good resource in the event of an emergeny

That's scary, hope it turns out ok.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Yea real scary, hope it works out...

Thanks for the link to the online scanner BTW
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Time to show the kids how to operate the shotgun
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

wow..10 mins is a long time...

and thanks for the link!

Been more than one case in the news of kids with .22's, shotguns, dad hunting riffle putting the would be robbers to a hasty retreat.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

The issue was resolved W/out injury to the girl no one was in the house

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    in reality 10 minutes is pretty quick response...they have to come from somewhere...

i'm not saying its fast enough to stop something from happening but it is a pretty good response time...there arent enough police to have one around every corner...

thats a lifetime for some crimes...

Something to keep in mind is that is not all response time. Depending on the department and their arrangement, it might be 2-4 minutes befor the call is actually dispatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Something to keep in mind is that is not all response time. Depending on the department and their arrangement, it might be 2-4 minutes befor the call is actually dispatched.
    That was stated during the call. I overlooked it while I was posting but I think it would have been small comfort to the 16 Y/O alone W/ a burglar in her home

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I'm listening to my county right now, thanks for the link!

"When seconds count, cops respond in minutes"

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

It's been said before - When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Hope she's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    That was stated during the call. I overlooked it while I was posting but I think it would have been small comfort to the 16 Y/O alone W/ a burglar in her home
    No doubt, thtat it would have been little comfort to her. My point was that not all of the time in a response is due to the responding unit(s). There are certain calls that a lot of responding units will pull the stops out for and I would catagorize this as one of them.

Intruders in the house with 10 minutes play time.

If house was empty they could have burglarized and been on their way in 5 minutes.

Occupied house with teenage girl, they could have raped, killed and probably been on their way in 7 or 8 minutes.

Teenage girl home with a gun, she could have been out on the porch smoking her second cigarette waiting on the cops come clean up the mess by the time they showed up.

It's all on how you work the numbers!

I choose option #3. Get the girl a gun!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

As I like to tell people, "You only have to fight for the rest of your life."

What that means is, when you get into a situation help will be coming if you call for it. The thing is, will you receive that help in a timely manner?

Sixteen is not too young to be home alone, nor too young to know how to safely operate a defensive firearm, providing that the youngster has demonstrated the requisite responsibilities and maturity. In actuality I think ten minutes is a pretty darn fast response time for a "hot" call like this.

Biker

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links