Traveling on planes

This is a discussion on Traveling on planes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you do with your EDCs when traveling? Pack it in a suitcase? Not bring anything?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling on planes

Traveling on planes

What do you do with your EDCs when traveling? Pack it in a suitcase? Not bring anything?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

2. Remove Ads

Guess that depends on the destination...

And the airline...

I pack it in a carry safe and pack it in the checked baggage...go through the declarations with the airline...

There's a good thread on here on the particulars...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Pack them in my suitcase, as per appropriate regs, and fly on.

I take it with me in my checked baggage. It's not really a big deal as long as you follow the rules.

VIP Member
    I fly with mine all the time (note my location) and it's not a big deal.

Lots of threads on here on how to do so. The function up above will lead you to lots of great advice on how to fly with a firearm.

BTW, at check in you say "I'm traveling with a firearm today". Saying "I've got a gun" is not recommended!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

traveling through

[QUOTE=GunnyBunny;1671299]I fly with mine all the time (note my location) and it's not a big deal.QUOTE]

Hey Gunny, not to hijack the thread, but do you know if I can travel from the lower 48 through Canada to Alaska and keep my firearm in the car?
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Dadoo;1671342]
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    I fly with mine all the time (note my location) and it's not a big deal.QUOTE]

Hey Gunny, not to hijack the thread, but do you know if I can travel from the lower 48 through Canada to Alaska and keep my firearm in the car?
    Long arm? Yes, with paperwork.

Handgun or anything vaguely military? Nope.

Visitors / Non-Residents
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

COM Safe, declare it, put in checked baggage and away you go.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    After my bags were opened twice (locks cut, no reimbursement) for having nothing more dangerous than one disposible razor, I made up my mind not to fly again.

So I don't care what rediculous fees the airlines want to charge or silly hassle TSA wants to invent; they're not getting it from me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't check bags anymore, so now I leave the guns home. Love not checking a bag, hate not having my gun.

I fly to DFW at least once a year and it looks like my permit is honored in Texas according to Recip Maps. Thank you Texas by the way! But I've never taken my CW with me. I spend a lot of time in the Richardson area and go to downtown Dallas too and I haven't spent the time to look up all of the local regs. I may do it next time but I'd rather get that warm, fuzzy feeling by talking to local LE than looking up possibly old documents online. The Dallas area steakhouses and BBQ are GREAT but I think pavement all tastes the same.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I live in the Dallas area, but I have to go to upstate NY next month. I'm leery of taking my handgun in my checked baggage so I'm thinking of doing a Fedex package and sending it ahead. I know I can't carry in NY state, but I may be staying in a tent for a few days and won't do it without some protection. Not paranoid, just practical.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Flying with a gun is the best way in the world to go.

For some reason, every time I do it, my bag is never lost, and it's always one of the first few unloaded from the plane.

I use a long cable lock to run through my portable safe, through the Spyderhole on my Delica, and through the finger ring on my Emerson La Griffe, and secure it all to the frame of my suitcase.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Have flown with long guns a couple times to go hunting. We went to Argentina with two guns per person a few years ago - we had a total of, I believe, 10 guns. We all used heavy-duty flying cases that were metal on the outside and used (cheap) locks.

Like most have said, it's really a non-issue so long as you educate yourself on each individual airlines policy. I do recommend learning the policy that pertains to your particular airline well AND to print up all the rules and bring them with you when you go to check bags and check-in. It has been my experience that most of the time, the person behind the counter is not all that familiar with their company's firearm policy. Having them printed on a piece of paper to show them makes things go a lot smoother.

Also, I recommend being present and watching when TSA checks the weapons before loading them onto the plane. They usually want you to unlock the case so that they can see inside. In our case, they didn't even know how to check the chambers on several of our shotguns, so we had to stand there and coach them.

How any of this hassle makes any of us safer while flying, I do not know....

Good info here. Thanks for the post!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links