Got made and I wasn't even carrying

This is a discussion on Got made and I wasn't even carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Coming on the heels of a topic thread last week about "Tacticool" clothing and whether or not it might make you a target, I had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Got made and I wasn't even carrying

  1. #1
    Member Array DKPRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    35

    Got made and I wasn't even carrying

    Coming on the heels of a topic thread last week about "Tacticool" clothing and whether or not it might make you a target, I had an interesting experience today.

    I had to go to the airport to pick up a fellow for my job. I was wearing a 5.11 short sleeve shirt. (I think they call it a Covert Casual or some such marketing slogan.) Anyway, I wasn't carrying today because I had to take this fellow into Washington D.C, and we know how they are about firearms. I was only wearing the shirt because its was too hot for long sleeves and that was the only kind of shirt I had that looked nice enough to be for business, but was still short sleeve and cool enough for the heat.

    As I was waiting around for my guy to show up, and two uniformed TSA employees approach, and start chatting me up.

    "Am I waiting for someone?"

    "Yes."

    "When are they due to arrive?"

    "X time."

    Finally, the fellow asks me,

    "Do you work for the Government?"

    "No"

    "Private Personal Security?"

    "No but I have a brother that used to do that."

    "We get a lot of VIPs in here (Dulles) so we see a lot of that." He says.

    "Oh." I say.

    As it happens the guy I am picking up is, while not necessarily in need of a security detail, somewhat known, has been on TV, and occasionally gets some threats. That's the reason why I had to pick him up instead of him just taking a cab. If I had felt it was an option, I'd have preferred to have been carrying, to be honest.

    He never asked about a weapon, or anything like that the entire time, and it was a very casual and friendly conversation, but there was clearly something, that gave this TSA guy the idea that I was armed, or the sort of guy whose usually armed.

    I asked the guy if he was asking about my occupation based on my shirt, and while he said no, I am not so certain. I think it may have been a factor of the shirt, and the fact that my SA was higher than normal because of the circumstances. (I was keeping an eye on people and did check my exits, that sort of thing.)

    Anyway, that's my story for what it's worth. I don't know if it answers the question of that previous thread, but I thought it was interesting.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    No offense to anyone who works for TSA here, but in my day to day dealings with them... they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Don't give them too much credit

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array deafdave3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by DKPRC View Post
    Coming on the heels of a topic thread last week about "Tacticool" clothing and whether or not it might make you a target, I had an interesting experience today.

    I had to go to the airport to pick up a fellow for my job. I was wearing a 5.11 short sleeve shirt. (I think they call it a Covert Casual or some such marketing slogan.) Anyway, I wasn't carrying today because I had to take this fellow into Washington D.C, and we know how they are about firearms. I was only wearing the shirt because its was too hot for long sleeves and that was the only kind of shirt I had that looked nice enough to be for business, but was still short sleeve and cool enough for the heat.

    As I was waiting around for my guy to show up, and two uniformed TSA employees approach, and start chatting me up.

    "Am I waiting for someone?"

    "Yes."

    "When are they due to arrive?"

    "X time."

    Finally, the fellow asks me,

    "Do you work for the Government?"

    "No"

    "Private Personal Security?"

    "No but I have a brother that used to do that."

    "We get a lot of VIPs in here (Dulles) so we see a lot of that." He says.

    "Oh." I say.

    As it happens the guy I am picking up is, while not necessarily in need of a security detail, somewhat known, has been on TV, and occasionally gets some threats. That's the reason why I had to pick him up instead of him just taking a cab. If I had felt it was an option, I'd have preferred to have been carrying, to be honest.

    He never asked about a weapon, or anything like that the entire time, and it was a very casual and friendly conversation, but there was clearly something, that gave this TSA guy the idea that I was armed, or the sort of guy whose usually armed.

    I asked the guy if he was asking about my occupation based on my shirt, and while he said no, I am not so certain. I think it may have been a factor of the shirt, and the fact that my SA was higher than normal because of the circumstances. (I was keeping an eye on people and did check my exits, that sort of thing.)

    Anyway, that's my story for what it's worth. I don't know if it answers the question of that previous thread, but I thought it was interesting.
    You sound like a "personal security agent". At the risk of sounding childish and immature, that's always been my dream job.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array Hiram25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wyoming, DE
    Posts
    11,043
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    You sound like a "personal security agent". At the risk of sounding childish and immature, that's always been my dream job.
    Hey deafdave3, than you could get one of those cool CC Badges!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array deafdave3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Hey deafdave3, than you could get one of those cool CC Badges!
    I'm actually gonna take the class next month and should get the CHL about a month or so after that. The only reason I can't become an official bodyguard, though, is because I'm deaf.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array DIABLO9489's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    No offense to anyone who works for TSA here, but in my day to day dealings with them... they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Don't give them too much credit
    Couldnt agree more
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,111
    Sounds like an interesting event none the less...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  9. #8
    Ex Member
    Array 1 old 0311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    You sound like a "personal security agent". At the risk of sounding childish and immature, that's always been my dream job.

    I have a friend who dies this. Only deals with high profile/celebrity/political figures. Travels first class. Eats at the best restaurants. Sits in the best seats at games, and races. Makes a TON $$$$ of money and gets more chicks then Hef.

    I am on his backup/waiting list but so far I just get the stories, and pics.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array CLASS3NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bob from Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,627
    You say you werer wearing a "511 short sleeve shirt" right? Most people, who are in the business, or have a working knoledge of the gun industry know Sig markets their 511 clothing line. This guy may have working knowledge of the clothing, OR your body language gave you away even if you wern't carrying. Take a look at LEO types and most have a distinctive type of stance or sitting position.
    Just some observations of my own
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array CLASS3NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bob from Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,627
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    You sound like a "personal security agent". At the risk of sounding childish and immature, that's always been my dream job.
    I worked it for a long time. Got plenty of looks and stares
    I once worked Close Security for a Firm in Boston, got do go a lotta places, seen a lotta things, and yup it's a cool job LOL
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    englewood, fl
    Posts
    1,751
    masybe you just dont realize how obvious it is that you are scoping everything out and it raised their suspicion that you were either a security type person or possibly somebody up to no good...the interview may have been to see if they shook you up...

    spend enough time in an airport and you see a lot of tactical type clothing...

    your actions probably brought them to you...

  13. #12
    Senior Member Array WC145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Downeast Maine
    Posts
    811
    I find that interesting, I always carry a gun and I've been through numerous airports armed, nobody ever talks to me.
    Hmmm.... Maybe I have to buy some new shirts.

  14. #13
    Member Array sentioch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    394
    Your shirt doesn't by any chance look like this one, does it?

    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

  15. #14
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,200
    Want to know how bright TSA employees are? Ask them a question--any question--and notice the minimum-wage stare.
    Like, why does my little tiny belt buckle set off the alarm when Cowboy Bob's supersized rodeo champion buckle doesn't? The stare.
    What's so threatening about a CPAP machine? The stare.
    Do you guys ever clean these nasty floors you're making me walk barefooted on? The stare.

    I get a lot of TSA "escorts," not because I carry, but because of the hell I raise going through that security check point. As I wait to board my plane, every time I quickly look up at them, they turn away. Humm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  16. #15
    Member Array VTLO910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY/PA
    Posts
    152
    He may have just been in tune like many other CCW's. I can spot military, Police, etc by clothes or behaviors... It's just knowing what to hone in on. What you wear and how you carry yourself say more sometimes then you would ever know... and yes, wearing 5.11 stuff is a pretty Public Safety popular... on or off duty...

    or

    He might have been a BDO.

    The Behavior Detection Officer (BDO) program utilizes non-intrusive behavior observation and analysis techniques to identify potentially high-risk passengers. BDOs are designed to detect individuals exhibiting behaviors that indicate they may be a threat to aviation and/or transportation security. The program is a derivative of other successful behavioral analysis programs that have been employed by law enforcement and security personnel both in the U.S. and around the world.

    TSA's BDO-trained security officers are screening travelers for involuntary physical and physiological reactions that people exhibit in response to a fear of being discovered. TSA recognizes that an individual exhibiting some of these behaviors does not automatically mean a person has terrorist or criminal intent. BDOs do, however, help our security officers focus appropriate resources on determining if an individual presents a higher risk or if his/her behavior has a non-threatening origin. Individuals exhibiting specific observable behaviors may be referred for additional screening at the checkpoint to include a handwanding, limited pat down and physical inspection of one's carry-on baggage. Referrals are based on specific observed behaviors only, not on one's appearance, race, ethnicity or religion.

    BDOs add an element of unpredictability to the security screening process that is easy for passengers to navigate but difficult for terrorists to manipulate. It serves as an important additional layer of security in the airport environment, requires no additional specialized screening equipment, can easily be deployed to other modes of transportation and presents yet one more challenge the terrorists need to overcome in attempt to defeat our security system.

    BDOs are currently operating at approximately 161 airports nationwide.
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Got "made" today... (that I WASNT carrying)
    By jbone in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
  2. It wasn't me
    By dukalmighty in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: August 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM
  3. I got made…and I wasn’t even carrying
    By ExactlyMyPoint in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
  4. I made my first mistake while carrying...
    By firefighter4884 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: September 11th, 2007, 11:09 AM
  5. Made a Fed carrying CCW
    By mocarryguy in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: July 16th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Search tags for this page

tactical look

Click on a term to search for related topics.