Colorado Security Guard, Can I Carry?

This is a discussion on Colorado Security Guard, Can I Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have done a great many googles about this. I find lots about other states but can't find anything about Colorado. I just am curious ...

Thread: Colorado Security Guard, Can I Carry?

Colorado Security Guard, Can I Carry?

I have done a great many googles about this. I find lots about other states but can't find anything about Colorado. I just am curious if anyone knows.

I am a security guard in Colorado. The State of Colorado does not license security guards, but some cities do. The city where I am posted does not. My position is as an unarmed guard and I know that my company does not want an armed unarmed position. But if I ever needed my gun it would be to save my life and I would much rather be alive without a job than dead with a job. So I'm wondering since I have my permit to carry in Colorado if I would be legal with the state laws. I have not found anything in Colorado's firearms laws that say I cannot carry.

I currently keep my gun in my car while I'm at work. But it doesn't do me much good there does it? And concealed is concealed right? But if I had to use it I wouldn't want to jeopardize my permit to carry. But I would rather stay alive at the same time... I'm really in a tough spot here.

So anybody got an idea? Any Colorado LEOs?
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

2. Remove Ads

Former Colorado security guard. You must be certified as armed to carry a firearm in Colorado your CCW is meaningless and you can't legally carry concealed on duty regardless.

If you are caught W/ the gun you can be arrested and you will very likely lose your job especially in Denver.

OC spray would be a better alternative especially if you get a key ring sized can (plausible deniablity)

Thank you for that Treo. Can you give me somewhere that I can find this in writing? In the Colorado Revised Statues or something?
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    Thank you for that Treo. Can you give me somewhere that I can find this in writing? In the Colorado Revised Statues or something?
    Ooooohh. That one is going to be buried in some obscure CRS.

Do a search Here
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I suspect you already know the answer to this or you'd have asked your supervisor and not some internet board. We're not going to be the ones who fire you.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    My position is as an unarmed guard and I know that my company does not want an armed unarmed position. But if I ever needed my gun it would be to save my life and I would much rather be alive without a job than dead with a job

Your position is a tough one my friend, but as stated there are other alternatives to being armed and keeping your job into todays bad economy unless you are single and can just afford to bounce around job to job. Since you took the job knowing what the duties and responsibilities were, it seems you would follow their rules also in my view.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I have looked and looked and I never could find the statutes the instructor in our orientation class went over it all.

In my experience carrying a firearm as an unarmed guard causes far more problems than it solves. In the 2 years I worked security I know of one instance in which an armed guard was nominally justified in drawing his sidearm. I know of several instances in which unarmed guards were fired on the spot and I mean on the spot when they where caught w/ firearms in their possession at work.

It’s generally the client company that specifies armed or unarmed in the contract and the security company incurs huge liability issues when their guards violate it, this usually results in a zero tolerance policy.

Plus the fact that you aren’t carrying the gun legally can take a borderline justifiable DGU and turn it against you and it could affect your ability to get or renew your CHP in the future
    Last edited by Treo; June 23rd, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Ooooohh. That one is going to be buried in some obscure CRS.

Do a search Here
    It's usually buried in some city ordinace which makes it even harder to find

Okay thanks guys. I'll just keep it in my car for now.

Guardian, I have followed the rules and will continue to do so... unless I find that I would not be in violation of a law by carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    Okay thanks guys. I'll just keep it in my car for now.

Guardian, I have followed the rules and will continue to do so... unless I find that I would not be in violation of a law by carrying.
    At the least you'd be in violation of city ordinance. Also be advised security companies all know each other and when HR from Guarda calls Wackenhut and asks why Omega no longer works for them the rep will tell her buddy exactly why you got fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Also be advised security companies all know each other and when HR from Guarda calls Wackenhut and asks why Omega no longer works for them the rep will tell her buddy exactly why you got fired.
    Good point.

Links