Going to San Antonio, need info1 - Page 2

Going to San Antonio, need info1

This is a discussion on Going to San Antonio, need info1 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the info, I'll be concealing a Springfield 45 most of the time, but might take my Ruger LCP. We are staying close ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to San Antonio, need info1

Thanks for all the info, I'll be concealing a Springfield 45 most of the time, but might take my Ruger LCP. We are staying close to the Alamo so I'll give it a look before going in for the tour.

Thanks again,

Bill

San Antonio is a very gun friendly CC city. The only places you can not carry are in the amusement parks. 30.06 is posted and they do search. you will also walk through a metal detector. Riverwalk is ok to carry as well as the Alamo. Some hotels do not like folks to carry, so it is better to applogize than ask permission. I know that the Hiltons are very anti-gun here. I'd keep it to your self and don't let your hotel know. They may freak out. While your here, check out our Bass Pro shop on IH 10 and if you want to take a drive, Cabella's up on IF 35. Cabella's is about 50 miles away, BUT.. some of the best BBQ is in Buda Tx.. it is called the Salt Lick and it is worth the drive and you can go to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels on the way back.

Ray
    Texas
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

Aw man I miss my home! I lived there in San Antonio for the longest. There is a cool place to eat Tex Mex and its always hoppin there. It's called Chachos, it's on I-10 and Callaghan Rd. Top shelf ritas are potent but the food is fantastic. I lived right near there about a half a block away. Go there and order the King Kong nachos......they call it that for a reason.
    If you're downtown eat at Mi Tierra mexican restaurant. Nice place to eat authentic mexican food. Have fun there! Be safe!

Hey Prophezine

A friend gave me a bottle of Salt lick's dry rub, it one of the best dry rubs I ever tasted. I don't know how many batches of ribs I used that stuff on. Thanks for the info!

Bill

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EPIC SCUMBAG View Post
    Aw man I miss my home! I lived there in San Antonio for the longest. ....
    Before I retired, I did a fair amount of TDY in San Antonio.

There was a restaurant that was under an overhead highway and looked like it was about to fall down that was great.

You or anyone else know what its name was?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

ETA - TexasSolo beat me to it.

Something you may not be aware of: You can't carry a knife that locks open (i.e. your standard lock blade knife) in the San Antonio city limits. It's a very stupid city ordinance. Fixed blades are fine though.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I can not imagine going to SA and not carrying.
    If you go out at night, carry two.
    SA is a crime ridden city and one must be careful.
    I was there last week. Good Gunsmiths in the area though.

Three years ago the Texas Police Games were held in SA,
    looked like a buttpac convention was in town.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
    I can not imagine going to SA and not carrying.
    If you go out at night, carry two.
    SA is a crime ridden city and one must be careful.
    I was there last week. Good Gunsmiths in the area though.

Three years ago the Texas Police Games were held in SA,
    looked like a buttpac convention was in town.

Jungle Work
    No different than any other large city. Been going there most of my life, and never had a problem. Heck, the wife and I take the kids there every once in a while for lunch. The riverwalk is mostly tame, but there are parts of SA you would not want to walk at dark. But hey, I live in Houston....
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

The Alamo

The Alamo is a shrine. You can't even take photos in there. I have been twice in my life, and hope to go another time before I die. I would very seriously doubt if you can carry a firearm inside legally.

I am pretty sure you can carry at the Alamo. I know it was discussed on TexasCHLForum. You can't take photos there because flash photography can damage the documents they have on display there.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by KSDeputy View Post
    The Alamo is a shrine. You can't even take photos in there. I have been twice in my life, and hope to go another time before I die. I would very seriously doubt if you can carry a firearm inside legally.
    You can legally carry in the Alamo. According to Texas State law, they would have to post a 30.06 sign to keep you from carrying (or give you verbal notification). I know that as of 10/2008, there was not one posted. So unless they recently posted one, you can carry in the Alamo.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hash and rehash: At one time, the Alamo had 30.06 signs. The law changed in, as I recall, 2003 (maybe it was 2001?), whereby state and municipal buildings that are NOT per se prohibited, like courthouses, cannot legally prohibit concealed carry. That's why it's legal to carry in the Capitol building. TXDPS was the first state agency to take down its 30.06 signs, I was told by a DPS CHL cadre member. Technically, it is illegal for such entities to post 30.06 signs.

Sea World and Fiesta Texas both fall under the "Amusement Park" statute, and are posted.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Sea World and Fiesta Texas both fall under the "Amusement Park" statute, and are posted.
    The important point being that they are posted. The "Amusement Park" statute is no longer an issue. Not arguing, just illuminating. :)

San Antonio may not feel like a big city but keep your eyes open. There are lots of opportunists, mostly down town around the edges, and the south side. San Antonio is pretty relaxed, maybe cuz it's so hot, you should be able to carry knife or CC just about anywhere as long as you don't cause any trouble. I lived there 9 years and only had trouble when I was somewhere I shouldn't have been.

If you happen to be there on a first friday of the month they have a really nice art gathering at the Blue Star complex. The best part is a little family friendly outdoor bar called La Tuna. You can sip beers outside while watching the train pass. Very safe.

Thumbs up The Alamo

Was there in May and I carefully read the rules that were posted at the entrance to the grounds.
    They said; no guns BUT you can check them at the security office run by the Alamo Rangers.Now,that's really Texas.
    I did not carry because I did not know this fact ahead of time and did not want to have to walk back to the hotel.
    As far as it being hot in San Antonio in summer....DUH.
    The Alamo is actually owned by a non-profit (can't remember the name)..something like The Daughters Of The Alamo.
    I highly recommend it to learn a lot about Texas history and the connected Mexican history of the time.The ground are beautifully landscaped.
    Hook 'Em Horns
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links