Going to San Antonio, need info1

This is a discussion on Going to San Antonio, need info1 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There were no signs the times I've toted through the Alamo but it's been a couple of years since I've been by. No hassles ever ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Going to San Antonio, need info1

There were no signs the times I've toted through the Alamo but it's been a couple of years since I've been by. No hassles ever on the Riverwalk but then gun is concealed.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I went to San Antonio this past week-end, and we stayed at the Hyatt Regency. It's directly ON the riverwalk, so you can exit the hotel and you're standing on the riverwalk. The rooms were above adequate, and I had no complaints. Clean, nice staff, etc etc. The only issue was they forgot to put a shower curtain/liner in the shower, but when I notified them it was corrected immediately. (Which is nice to know they change them.)

We paid $111.30 plus taxes and parking. It's the cheapest one we found on the riverwalk. It's also with the AAA discount, but they never asked for a card or anything.

It's also right across from the Alamo. Maybe a 5 minute walk tops.

Also, for dinner, I recommend the Iron Cactus. It was delicious.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Was there in May and I carefully read the rules that were posted at the entrance to the grounds.
    They said; no guns BUT you can check them at the security office run by the Alamo Rangers.
    Those signs do no apply to CHL holders. Per Texas law, they must use the 30.06 sign, or the 51 sign (restaurants making 51% or more of their sales off of alcohol) to give CHL holders proper written notice.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Those signs do no apply to CHL holders. Per Texas law, they must use the 30.06 sign, or the 51 sign (restaurants making 51% or more of their sales off of alcohol) to give CHL holders proper written notice.
    Correct, JT. A friend of mine went there a few years back, carrying in a fanny pack that looked "gunny." The staff noticed it, asked if he was carrying, and asked that he check his gun. They can do that, obviously, and if one chose to (foolishly) try not to either comply or leave, he could be prosecuted under the old criminal trespass with a firearm statute, which is a big beef.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    The important point being that they are posted. The "Amusement Park" statute is no longer an issue. Not arguing, just illuminating. :)
    Actually, it is still an issue. Since they are not "premises," as defined under the statute as "building or portion of a building," they have to be posted under 30.06 and be amusement parks to be prohibited. Maybe that's what you meant. If they were not amusement parks under the statute, since they are not premises, a 30.06 sign would be meaningless. I.e., you can't put up a valid 30.06 sign at the entrance to a city or state park, parking lot, etc. And yes, it is more complicated than it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Before I retired, I did a fair amount of TDY in San Antonio.

There was a restaurant that was under an overhead highway and looked like it was about to fall down that was great.

You or anyone else know what its name was?

hmmmm......I'd have to ask some friends that still live there. What highway or street was it on??

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Correct, JT. A friend of mine went there a few years back, carrying in a fanny pack that looked "gunny." The staff noticed it, asked if he was carrying, and asked that he check his gun. They can do that, obviously, and if one chose to (foolishly) try not to either comply or leave, he could be prosecuted under the old criminal trespass with a firearm statute, which is a big beef.
    Good point. That's a case of them giving him verbal notification, which they can do. That's why you don't want to give them the opportunity to give you verbal notification (such as using something obvious like a fanny pack).
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I went to San Antonio this past week-end, and we stayed at the Hyatt Regency. It's directly ON the riverwalk, so you can exit the hotel and you're standing on the riverwalk. The rooms were above adequate, and I had no complaints. Clean, nice staff, etc etc. The only issue was they forgot to put a shower curtain/liner in the shower, but when I notified them it was corrected immediately. (Which is nice to know they change them.)

We paid $111.30 plus taxes and parking. It's the cheapest one we found on the riverwalk. It's also with the AAA discount, but they never asked for a card or anything.

It's also right across from the Alamo. Maybe a 5 minute walk tops.

Also, for dinner, I recommend the Iron Cactus. It was delicious.
    That's a great price for a hotel right on the river.
    As for restaurants (Tex-Mex) I recommend Mi Tierra which is about 5-7 minutes from the riverwalk area and well worth the drive.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Forget Fiesta TX, Sea World.... Heavy searches at the gate.

The Alamo and most other places downtown are OK, as long as you are concealed.

The Restaurant mentioned was the Josephine St. Steakhouse, I believe they finally closed it just a couple of weeks ago and they have moved. One of the best steak houses in town is a place called the Barn Door, it has been there for 50+ years and has a lot of history there.

For traditional Mexican food, the best place in San Antonio is Los Barrios. You can't go wrong there. It should be noted that the hispanic woman who founded the restaurant all those years ago was brutally murdered recently by some gang-banger kid who stole her car and was caught about a day later.....Very sad because she was such a nice lady...

Good luck.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Actually, it is still an issue. Since they are not "premises," as defined under the statute as "building or portion of a building," they have to be posted under 30.06 and be amusement parks to be prohibited. Maybe that's what you meant. If they were not amusement parks under the statute, since they are not premises, a 30.06 sign would be meaningless. I.e., you can't put up a valid 30.06 sign at the entrance to a city or state park, parking lot, etc. And yes, it is more complicated than it needs to be.
    Not true. They are private businesses and can post the entire property, including the parking lots if they want to. Their status as amusement parks no longer have any meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by KSDeputy View Post
    The Alamo is a shrine. You can't even take photos in there. I have been twice in my life, and hope to go another time before I die. I would very seriously doubt if you can carry a firearm inside legally.
    I have dozens of photographs taken at the Alamo. They do get kinda mad if you pee on it though (ask Ozzy Osbourne)

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    Not true. They are private businesses and can post the entire property, including the parking lots if they want to. Their status as amusement parks no longer have any meaning.
    Sorry for my lack of clarity; I blame a caffeine deficiency. For a pure 30.06 prosecution, that would be correct, because Sec. 30.06 uses the term "property" instead of "premises," which is why we so desperately needed the "parking lot" legislation that died in the last session due to hand-wringing nervous nellies in the Calendars Committee. For a Sec. 46.035 prosecution, they would have to be amusement parks.

On another matter, I am appreciative of the input regarding SA's knife ordinance. I guess I have violated it every time I've been there. I must assume that it is very selectively enforced, since I do not believe that it would survive a constitutional challenge under a preemption argument.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links